Korg MS-20 Mini

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Re: Korg MS-20 Mini

Post by shaft9000 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:16 am

i'll PM you...this is way OT
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Solyaris

Post by Solyaris » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:40 am

Bitexion wrote:Well, for the past 20 years, everyone has been clamoring that Roland should remake an exact Jupiter-8 clone, or Moog should remake an exact Minimoog clone (not voyagers), Korg should remake an MS-20 clone..now that they do, people complain that they're not innovating :P
I think that Korg is innovating in that this is the first time that they have done a reissue of a past model. At least as far as I know it is-- I could be wrong. It seems like most synth companies just make synths, stop making them after a few years, and then make brand new ones. But this is the first time that they've acknowledged a popular past success and made it available again. I think that's great! I hope they continue to innovate totally new designs but I also hope they make past successes available again to us as well. Isn't this what guitar companies do also?

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:59 am

Yeah I don't think they would have done it if analog wasn't the way it is today, my guess they did notice what is going on on eBay with vintage prices etc, analog has become like an essential tool for heaps of people and the modern producers studio as evident by magazines etc consists of a DAW, some soft synths, digital synth, VA and a bit of analog - it's just that bit that is so in demand is so scarce and expensive with reliability issues the same stuff can be made for much less. So I think we're going to see more companies carrying analog products along side soft synths, VA etc because its just the way it is today more companies are going to respond to those needs like Arturia and Elektron, I don't think it's entirely for nostalgic reasons or vintage analog enthusiasm like in Automatic Gainsay's case. its nice to see that hardware as a whole is still so heavily used, old school samplers are being rediscoverd good times.

Romannis1972
Gear: JX8P, SX-240, iPad running NanoStudio, Z3TA, Modular, Thor, Alchemy, iMS20, Audulus, Caustic, Xynthesizr
Band: Romannis Mötte

Post by Romannis1972 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:33 am

Bitexion wrote:Alright, one of my fave artists bought this modcan system a few months ago, wonder what that cost him

I went to their website but the price is canadian dollars and it says they don't ship outside canada?
As much as I'd love to say that system isn't pointless.... it is. It's beautiful eye candy, but really man,
I don't see the point of a massive system like that unless you're an R&D tester of some sort.

Yeah, I'll take one :lol:

And if the two big knobbed modules are phase shifters, there should be at least two more in there...

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:36 am

I just watched AG's latest MS-20 Mini video and all I have to say is that it's as refreshing and fun to watch as the original videos. they're so clear and easy to understand, and so good that Korg should be sending AG some courtesy synth gifts or something (if they haven't already) :D . I can't even imagine how his original videos might have helped convince people to buy those original MS-20s and thus elevate their status even more in the industry.

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:40 am

I'm guessing that modcan system is about $100K

I remember I emailed modcan and asked how much just one system was like in the bottom row in the pic he said it was something like 12Gs

kpliver

Post by kpliver » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:29 pm

Not sure if this counts as too OT after the title change, but KingKorg appears to be in stock at a couple of places already. Hopefully the Mini won't be too far behind.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:34 pm

AlX wrote:I'm throwing this bomb. Don't ask me how i got this pics.
Try to find something on google.

Cheers

MS-20 MINI Monophonic Synthesizer 37 Minikeys

KINGKORG, Analog Synthesizer 3 Osc, 2 Timbres. 61 keys

I still say it's a fake. They're both obviously photoshopped. :mrgreen:
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:03 pm

I've been wanting a change of scenery monosynth-wise for a while now and I'd figured the solution would be the minibrute (which I still think is great) but seeing this on pre-order all over the various retailer websites... it's bloody tempting.

cgren72

Post by cgren72 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:37 pm

Dr. Phibes wrote:I've been wanting a change of scenery monosynth-wise for a while now and I'd figured the solution would be the minibrute (which I still think is great) but seeing this on pre-order all over the various retailer websites... it's bloody tempting.
I'm not in the market for a mono now, but if I was I would be stuck on this too. I think the ms-20 would win it for me because I have always liked korg products. So naturally I have a monotribe, which isn't really similar to an ms-20, but maybe the minibrute would be a pleasant change of pace with some of its unique (for what it is) modulation possibilities.

xanadu97
Gear: DIY Modular
Monotron

Post by xanadu97 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:29 pm

shaft9000 wrote:I've only seen one complaint that Korg didn't go ahead and produce a newfangled MS-30 instead - and it was from some johnny-come-lately that hasn't had any analog synths
If you're talking about my comment, I just said that I hope in the future they make new MS synths. I wasn't complaining that they didn't make an MS-30 instead of the MS-20, I think it's great that they did this and I'll probably buy an MS-20 Mini.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:54 pm

It's a fantastic way for us guys in our 30's to own an actual MS-20 that isn't half broken, will need a full recap or power supply replacement and all sorts of other issues.

I'd say most of us wasn't around in the late 70s when these synths were still new.

The minijack patch cables is all good with me, as I have tons of minijack patch cables for my modular system already. I bought a pack of 80 cables of various lengths from the manufacturer's website.

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:40 pm

cgren72 wrote: I'm not in the market for a mono now, but if I was I would be stuck on this too. I think the ms-20 would win it for me because I have always liked korg products. So naturally I have a monotribe, which isn't really similar to an ms-20, but maybe the minibrute would be a pleasant change of pace with some of its unique (for what it is) modulation possibilities.
Yeah, I've never really been bothered with the original MS-20 - too expensive for me. As such, I'm approaching this in the manner I would any new dual oscillator, analogue synth with both resonant HPF and LPF plus loads of modulation options for £500, i.e. with great enthusiasm!

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:36 pm

This is excellent, but I'm just not sure I need another mono. What I've never understood is the limitations in modulation built purposefully in. No vco mod output, and pwm should have been added. How many purists are really out there? I think we all just want capable synths. With this being smt, modding it for these things wouldn't be as simple.

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:51 pm

I had a look at the current specs on Korg's website and something caught my eye:

Signal out:
Signal output (mono 1/8" mini phone jack, 2Vp-p output impedance 3.5k ?)

Head phones:
Head phones output (Stereo 1/8" mini phone jack, 33 ? 48mW)

To my knowledge, the MS-20 puts out a mono signal, but the specs say that the headphone jack is in stereo. Does this mean the headphone output splits the two oscillators on the L/R channels, or are they mixed together in mono?