Korg MS-20 Mini

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Re: Korg MS-20 Mini

Post by Bitexion » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:00 pm

I remember my Electronics classes, I was confused by the fact that IC's were in the analog not digital electronics books. I had assumed everything to do with chips had to be digital. Of course it wasn't.

adamstan
Gear: Yamaha 2xDX7II|QY-70|PSR-S750|PSR-2000|TYROS|Electone D85|Electone E50
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:07 pm

Also, there are two kinds of ICs.
"Monolithic" ICs - where whole circuit is put on a single piece of crystal (chip). Examples are SSM, CEM and actually most of the known ICs.
And then there are "hybrid" ones, which are tiny circuits made from discrete components and then sealed. Here goes Korg 35 filter, Roland 80017a, STK-series power amplifiers and similar pieces.
Man with a tape recorder | Living in the '80s ;-)

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:53 pm

Well in all truth there should be three types of ICs then: monolithic hybrid and discrete. seeing that the K35 and the 80017a contain both monolithic and discrete components inside they belong to the hybrd category. Then there are the fully discrete ICs of which the "discrete opamps" are good examples!
Herrare umanum est.

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:58 am

Hybrid88 wrote:Another one from Sonicstate :)

it's so freaking cool that they are doing these interviews. epic history to be documenting this on video.

:headbang:

thestreets
Gear: Maschine Mikro, Electribe ESX, KP3, Korg R3, Microkorg.

Post by thestreets » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:49 pm

Just spoke with Guitar Center and put in a pre-order. The dude I spoke to on the phone said it looks like May 15th is a solid date, considering they actually got details on shipping (how many units, what stores they are going to) this time. Hopefully it's fo' real.

smcumber

Post by smcumber » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:39 pm

I had a nightmare I got my pre-order MS-20 mini in the mail and it wasn't as awesome as I expected it to be :shocked:

thestreets
Gear: Maschine Mikro, Electribe ESX, KP3, Korg R3, Microkorg.

Post by thestreets » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:14 pm

I'm sure I'll start having dreams soon enough, I'm pretty giddy with excitement . I've never owned an analog synth!

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:00 pm

Haha, reminds me of the first days owning the Andromeda. I would wake up in the night just to confirm it was really there and not a dream.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:10 pm

smcumber wrote:I had a nightmare I got my MS-20 mini and it wasn't as awesome as I expected
It's only going to be 86% as awesome as you're expecting ;)
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:03 am

I just went into a shop to get some ear plugs and they had an MS-20 mini on display. They said they had already delivered their first 50 pre-orders and were expecting more soon, but they were all preordered already. I didn't have a play on it cause I was in a bit of a rush and there was some gormless teen with headphones playing on it but it's good to know they're already being delivered to people in Australia and Japan at least. It's nice for the Americans to be at the back of the line for a change.

madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:29 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:I just went into a shop to get some ear plugs and they had an MS-20 mini on display. They said they had already delivered their first 50 pre-orders and were expecting more soon, but they were all preordered already. I didn't have a play on it cause I was in a bit of a rush and there was some gormless teen with headphones playing on it but it's good to know they're already being delivered to people in Australia and Japan at least. It's nice for the Americans to be at the back of the line for a change.
Which shop is this? Did you ask when they would get more orders in?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:53 am

Store DJ. They said the next shipment was sold out from preorders as well and it would be a while until they had stock on the floor but people with preorders are getting them. I'm not all that fussed cause I've got a modular system but I'll probably pick one up in a while when they're starting to discount them a bit to have a play with. I think it looks pretty fun.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:59 pm

Yeah it's not a synth I can't live without. But I will check it out once it becomes fully available.

Infrasound
Gear: Smack, Crack, Acid

Post by Infrasound » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:32 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:I just went into a shop to get some ear plugs and they had an MS-20 mini on display. They said they had already delivered their first 50 pre-orders and were expecting more soon, but they were all preordered already. I didn't have a play on it cause I was in a bit of a rush and there was some gormless teen with headphones playing on it but it's good to know they're already being delivered to people in Australia and Japan at least. It's nice for the Americans to be at the back of the line for a change.
Awesome, looks like I'll be paying them a visit after work tomorrow just for a gawk.

i hope you're correct about the Sq10 - I wonder what the threshhold of MS20 mini sales Korg need to justify producing this. I doubt they think for every mini sold they'll sell an Sq10.

I'm also curious as to whether they may produce some sort of polyphonic MS20 mini (perhaps 3-4 voices) similar to the Volca keys (which to my uneducated self seems a cut-down kind of polyphony)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:26 am

Wrote my local store, asking if the 30th april unconfirmed date is anything to go by. Probably isn't, but one can hope.
I'm in the EU region. Only waited 2-3 months overtime for the Arturia Minibrute. But this is Korg, they should be more accustomed to producing hardware on time.