When did arpeggiators start showing up?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Financier
Gear: Ableton Live 8 Suite
Akai MPK 49

When did arpeggiators start showing up?

Post by Financier » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:51 pm

Just wondering when did arpeggiators start showing up on synths? Did one brand start it all?

Thanks
"Toe Pick"

Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Re: When did arpeggiators start showing up?

Post by Analogue Crazy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:58 pm

The Roland Jupiter-4 was one of the first synths to feature an arpeggiator. Its a very unique one too, that has no octave control and arpeggiates the keys above the one you last depressed. I believe it was a CV controller that predates the JP4 that had the first arpeggiator. Can't remember who manufactured it though.
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:12 pm

Arpeggiators are an extension of organ arpeggiators. Not sure which hardwired synth was the first to have an arp. Possibly 1974's RMI Harmonic Synthesizer.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by GuyaGuy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:18 pm

Analogue Crazy wrote:The Roland Jupiter-4 was one of the first synths to feature an arpeggiator. Its a very unique one too, that has no octave control and arpeggiates the keys above the one you last depressed. I believe it was a CV controller that predates the JP4 that had the first arpeggiator. Can't remember who manufactured it though.
This video claims that the J4 was the first but the RMI seems to beat it by a few years.

http://www.spectrasonics.net/video/vide ... ton=Search

Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:23 pm

The RMI does indeed beat the JP4 by a few years. The Jupiter-4 was a lot of peoples first experience with an arpeggiator and was quite successful, thats why its often said to be the first.
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by GuyaGuy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:52 pm

Analogue Crazy wrote:The RMI does indeed beat the JP4 by a few years. The Jupiter-4 was a lot of peoples first experience with an arpeggiator and was quite successful, thats why its often said to be the first.
Yeah, it seems to be the first "mainstream" synth with one--and probably the one that started the trend. Roland definitely thought it was a good feature and started adding it to most of its synths.

fh991586
Gear: Roland JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:59 pm

It's a shame they also decided to loose it around 1984...
Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Post by c-level » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:08 pm

i will say prob my favorite arpeggiator at the moment is on this quirky little bugger....

and upon searching for it i found a free VST emulator! woot!

CfNorENa
Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

Post by CfNorENa » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:23 pm

This video going over the features of Omnisphere's arpeggiator includes a nice little history of different arps:

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:43 pm

The Steiner-Parker 'Multiphonic' keyboard contrroller (c. early 1976) also featured an arpeggiator, and some
Synthacons were made with this feature too. Furthermore, the 4-voice polyphonic keyboard controller
for the Roland system 100M (early '79) came with an arpeggiator as well.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:14 pm

Unless there is a custom-made keyboard controller by Moog, Emu, or others, I would say the RMI Harmonic was in fact the first synth to feature an arpeggiator. A buggy one, at that -- keep a series of keys pressed and activate it, and it will play the depressed keys randomly. If you activate it before you hold a couple of keys, it will play an ascending string of notes.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

KevBKeys

Post by KevBKeys » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:25 am

The ARP Quadra must be amongst the early synths to feature an arpeggiator, coming along the same year as the Jupiter 4?

The Jupiter arpeggiators are classic, but I think my favourite is the Quadra. Combining the 'sequencer' with trill mode and interval write produces some quite sophisticated patterns. It can get even better if you take advantage of the dual portamento. One oscillator with portamento and one without can give the impression of two different sounds or patterns playing at the same time, especially if the two oscillators have widely different interval settings. You can also hold an arpeggio and play chords on top with the polysynth and strings. :D

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:54 am

When keyboard players stopped being able to play arpeggios?
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:50 pm

KevBKeys wrote:The ARP Quadra must be amongst the early synths to feature an arpeggiator, coming along the same year as the Jupiter 4?
Yes, but the Quadra wasn't released to the market until the spring of '79, several months after the Jupiter 4. I have no idea
why most sources out there give it a release date of '78.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

KevBKeys

Post by KevBKeys » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:19 pm

Micke wrote:
KevBKeys wrote:The ARP Quadra must be amongst the early synths to feature an arpeggiator, coming along the same year as the Jupiter 4?
Yes, but the Quadra wasn't released to the market until the spring of '79, several months after the Jupiter 4. I have no idea
why most sources out there give it a release date of '78.
All the boards in my Quadra have "MADE IN USA ©1978" on them, which is maybe where people get the "78" date from. I guess it was designed and possibly manufactured in 78 but from what you are saying, didn't reach stores until 79.