Waldorf Rocket?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
DocT

Re: Waldorf Rocket?

Post by DocT » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:35 pm

Launch of the confetti bomber.

Due to that damned flu, that seems to last forever, I didn’t have the power to make new pictures. Anyway, some delirious Waldorf Rocket audio.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:02 am

Ashe37 wrote:where did you get the impression tht the pulse 2 had digital oscs? Especially since the page for it says:

"Three analog oscillators in combination with a true analog cascading filter is what Pulse and Pulse 2 have in common. But we didn't stop there. The filter circuits now also offer Highpass and Bandpass modes. We added analog Filter FM and Ring Modulation along with paraphonic modes that allow up to eight voice chords."
Note it says 'analog oscillators' but 'true analog filter'. I think they might be calling them analogue oscs in the same way that Korg call the polysix ipad app an analogue synth, ie by leaving out the word virtual. As far as I know there's no way to make three analogue oscillators into eight analogue oscillators for polyphony, you need digital oscs for that. It's possible that they have three analogue oscs and then some DSP for another five oscs, but that seems like a weird way of doing it to me. Could be though.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:07 am

Stab Frenzy wrote: Note it says 'analog oscillators' but 'true analog filter'. I think they might be calling them analogue oscs in the same way that Korg call the polysix ipad app an analogue synth, ie by leaving out the word virtual. As far as I know there's no way to make three analogue oscillators into eight analogue oscillators for polyphony, you need digital oscs for that. It's possible that they have three analogue oscs and then some DSP for another five oscs, but that seems like a weird way of doing it to me. Could be though.
Been assuming they were going to use some kind of divide-down setup...

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:27 am

it's hard to say with Waldorf, they have done fully digital synths with fully digital filters. Digital synths with analog filters, and analog synths with analog filters. It seems that a good rule of thumb is if it has wavetables, it is a digital synth, possibly with analog filters. If it doesnt have any wavetables it's one of the handfull of analogs they made like the Pulse, 4-pole, Xpole etc.
Though the lack of CV/Gate jacks does make me wonder. most all the other recent analog boxes have caught the CV STD*.

*synthesizer transmitted disease.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:28 am

My impression of the Pulse 2 was that it was going to have 3 analogue oscillators as well as the digital 1-8 oscs and that the Rocket leaves off the analogue OSCs. But yeah, a bit hard to tell for sure.

Does sound pretty nice and looks like fun anyway. Paraphonic has its own character.

man-009
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Man-009

Post by man-009 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:27 pm

will have to get one for sure!

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:52 pm

OK DocT, spill the beans...analog oscs or not?

Hope you get over the flu soon ;)
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

DocT

Post by DocT » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:09 pm

Oscillators are digital, Filter, Envelopes and VCA are analog.

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:34 pm

Hugo76 wrote:Dang, this one looks dope! And way more interesting than Korg's Monotribe. Great news! :D
wow! sure does. although I liken this more to the Dark Energy than the Monotribe because of the lack of ribbon and x0x sequencer.

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:09 am

The thing I found interesting in the manual is that it can apparently do a sysex dump of the current panel settings, which can be reloaded into the Rocket later. So it has patch memory, but not accessable from the Rocket itself.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

Computer Controlled
Gear: SH-101 . TB-3 . TR-8 . Juno-1 w/PG-300 . TT-303 . Korg ES2 . Beatstep Pro . Pioneer RMX-500
Band: Computer Controlled

Post by Computer Controlled » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:54 am

Too bad this won't be available in time for the synth meet here in Seattle next month.
Synths:
Avalon Bassline . TB-03 . JU-06 . MX-1 . Blofeld . MicroMonsta . Akai S5000
Drum Machines:
TR-09 . TR-8

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:01 pm

Looking at the image and specs on Waldorf's site it has no external power connector and the spec sheet says that it is USB powered. I guess I should assume that you use something like a USB phone charger to power it?
Synthesizer service tech since 1982.
Synth parts and service, Sydney Australia.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:59 pm

tim gueguen wrote:The thing I found interesting in the manual is that it can apparently do a sysex dump of the current panel settings, which can be reloaded into the Rocket later. So it has patch memory, but not accessable from the Rocket itself.
I think the 'Launch' button is intended for this purpose

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:33 pm

Nah, the launch button just triggers the envelope so you can hear the sound while you're tweaking it without pressing a key on a keyboard?

This is a feature that goes all the way back to the ARP 2600.

xanadu97
Gear: DIY Modular
Monotron

Post by xanadu97 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:05 am

It's like a cooler Monotribe. It has MIDI and more than one oscillator (even if they are digital). I'll just have to resist the temptation...I need the MS-20 Mini...