Waldorf Rocket?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Re: Waldorf Rocket?

Post by Walter Ego » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:45 pm

Sorry if this is an overpost or OT...just found this great detailed video about the rocket. Getting some GAS for it again...gahh...so many options for cheap small analog!

Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:26 pm

Every time I've gone to play with one, they've been out of stock. Still want to check it out!
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:29 pm

Nice review vid by B&H. Definitely inflames the GAS gland! Sounds really good but i wish we knew if they were going to release the Pulse 2 or not...

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:24 am

StepLogik wrote:Nice review vid by B&H. Definitely inflames the GAS gland! Sounds really good but i wish we knew if they were going to release the Pulse 2 or not...
Why do people keep asking if Waldorf is going to release the Pulse 2? It's out NOW.

http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/TTD/Wald ... 004014-000
http://www.thomann.de/gb/waldorf_pulse_2.htm

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:57 am

Aaron2 wrote:
Why do people keep asking if Waldorf is going to release the Pulse 2? It's out NOW.

Both these pages state that expected arrival is 30.08.2013

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:21 pm

Hugo76 wrote:
Aaron2 wrote:

Both these pages state that expected arrival is 30.08.2013
And when that date comes they'll change it to 30.09.2013 :lol:

Just speculation, but for a lot of buyers I would think that the new Novation Bass Station has stolen a lot of the Pulse's thunder.

Andy_X69
Gear: Alesis A6 Andromeda, Access Virus TI, Arturia Minibrute, DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard, Waldorf Micro-Q, Waldorf Pulse 2

Post by Andy_X69 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:28 am

Is there any new info on the Pulse 2?

Ive wanted to get one for a year...

It is perfect for my needs and my genre and unless Novation release a Bass Station 2 Rack there's no product which will work for me more...

And I'm totally okay with it being DCO/VCF since I actually prefer DCOs.
http://www.myspace.com/studiodekadent, Cubase 4/TC Powercore X8/MOTU PCIe424 with 24io/MOTU MIDI Express 128

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:17 pm

The Pulse 2 does look really nice. I hadn't really looked at it until now. Same chasis as the Blofeld, which is really solid. It looks like less menu diving as well. I'm hoping they finish the damn software, so Waldorf's ONE programmer can correct the sync issues with the Blofeld.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:05 am

I have been rekindling my love with the original pulse as I realised it was the only midi'd analogue I own after selling quite a few pieces of gear. The main annoyance is the parameter cycle button going only one way. I could be tempted for the new one if it ever comes out.

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:05 pm

I landed a used one so I'd figured I'd share my opinion of the rocket. First of all the pots are not as bad as some people have been making them out to be and I would compare the overall build quality to that of the korg monotribe. It's pretty much what I would expect from a synth in this price range.

The filter isn't exactly a show stopper, but its main fault is its lack of uniqueness rather than its usability. Unless your using the boost setting its a nice clean sounding filter. I'm not exactly blown away by the boost circuit either, the distortion it provides is at time useful for adding a bit of grit, but the end result isn't anything special. The oscillator section is the definetely the defining characteristic of the rocket. Waldorf really did pack a ton of features into such a limited interface and I find myself having a blast with chord/ unison modes.

Sadly the para phonic mode is a bit annoying due to the synths tendacy to retrigger notes during key release. You have to be very precise in your release of the keys to avoid this occurance. Also having sustain on and the decay at a high level greatly mitigates this. As a result I can't help but feel that the mode is more gimmicky than useful. The most jarring issue I've encountered involves the arp. Basically I've experienced stuck notes while adjusting the arp pattern knob. The rocket basically freezes up and refuses to accept any incoming notes, but fortunately stopping my sequencer quickly fixes the problem ( who knows maybe my sequencer is to blame, it is a painfully obsolete yamaha qx7 after all).

Oddly enough I find myself liking the rocket despit it's flaws, and since I'm primarily using a korg ea1 to compose with, I find the rockets ability to dial in single note chords quickly indispensable. Its quirky and imperfect, but ultimately manages to fill a niche.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

Audiofanzine

Post by Audiofanzine » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:11 pm

Hi everyone! In case anyone is interested we have recently posted our review/test of Rocket for your reading pleasure. :geek:

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:58 pm

So...are the Volcas gonna kill the Rocket? Not really the same synth/features, but it's the same form factor, cheaper, with more bread and butter features (sequencer!). Why pay twice as much for a box with no keys or sequencer that can't play nice with older gear?

That said, I still like the idea and sound of the Rocket a lot. Maybe second hand prices will get ridiculous, then I can get one. Here's hoping. Never thought two years ago that today I'd think $329 was too much for a good synth.

Microbrute might also kill the Rocket outright.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:38 am

Walter Ego wrote:So...are the Volcas gonna kill the Rocket?
I think you've answered your own question. You can get a Keys and a Bass for less than the price of the Rocket. Do the math...

On a serious note, I'm in love with the Volca Bass's sound. Every synth should have three oscillators! And the sequencer is so ridiculously easy to use that it's just a lot of fun.

It's perfect for "couch jamming," too. Just load it up with batteries, put on your headphones, and start playing. With the VB in hand, you can easily tune out whatever Real Housewives c**p your wife happens to be watching on TV! :lol: