does any synth sound better to your ears than an Omega 8?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
gopherbroke

does any synth sound better to your ears than an Omega 8?

Post by gopherbroke » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:16 pm

I am making a record and it hasn't to be done right. I want the very best legendary tone and only pay once. I don't know if the schmidt is even available I wonder if anyone has heard it?

anyhow, nice to meet you guys, I am a guitar player and gearhead and I have to have the best tones.

I am thinking of getting an omega 8 will all the filters and a GEM keyboard like Joey D has. I wan the most versatile options of pure analog vintage tones. Does a memorymoog sound better than the moog setting on the SE omega 8? We are rock, pop, funk, jam. I want your opinion, I understand everyone's different. thanks.

Also, is there a holy grail live synth amp and cab?

Sweep

Re: does any synth sound better to your ears than an Omega 8

Post by Sweep » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:26 pm

gopherbroke wrote:I am making a record and it hasn't to be done right....
I presume you mean it has to be done right? Attention to detail is one of the most important secrets of getting a record to sound right.

I've never heard of the Omega 8, or Joey D for that matter, but I'm just listening to it on YouTube. It sounds pretty crappy. But then, there's always someone who'll make any synth sound like c**p on YouTube, so that doesn't mean a lot.

Seriously (actually the above was serious, but won't be much help), the synth that you need is the one with the right sound for your record. If you post a bit more about what you're trying to do, someone here might be able to advise. The bottom line is, there are some great synths for certain kinds of sound that wouldn't be right for some other kinds of music. There are even synths that don't do a lot but happen to do one or two things remarkably well. It all depends what's needed. Wendy Carlos said a long time ago that the most important skill for electronic music is the ancient art of orchestration. She's right.
Free the Jupiter 8!

ravenmek

Post by ravenmek » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:30 pm

It is a great sounding synth, but I really prefer an Alesis Andromeda for analog sounds, and a Solaris for digital!

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:33 pm

If you want the ultimate in pure analog tones, get an RCA mkii... Or better yet, a Telharmonium.

You're just going to be disappointed otherwise... :|
Do you even post on vse bro?

gopherbroke

Post by gopherbroke » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:19 am

thanks. I don't worry about typos on internet forums. :) Thank you, Sir. do you have either of these units?

gopherbroke

Post by gopherbroke » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:20 am

I just did a search. I need something helpful.

gopherbroke

Post by gopherbroke » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:21 am

I just did a search. I need something helpful.

ravenmek

Post by ravenmek » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:40 am

A friend of mine has an Andromeda. It is incredibly beautiful! And you can do so many things with it...

dustinh
Gear: juno-1, ensoniq sq-80, dsi mopho, microbrute, gretsch guitars, motu 2408, monotron, and caffeine

Post by dustinh » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:58 am

Your problem is wanting the "best" tone which is a useless word since what makes a better sounding synth is completely subjective. If by legendary you mean a vintage tone, then buy a vintage synth. Modern analogs sound great, just different. The vintage ones sound often grittier, noisier, and more drifty in terms of tuning and such.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:32 am

gopherbroke wrote:I am making a record and it hasn't to be done right. I want the very best legendary tone and only pay once. I don't know if the schmidt is even available I wonder if anyone has heard it?
It's available, but obviously it's very expensive and a custom order thing. You're not going to walk into your local music shop and walk out with one, but then again a $20,000 synth isn't going to be sitting in any music shops anyway.
gopherbroke wrote:anyhow, nice to meet you guys, I am a guitar player and gearhead and I have to have the best tones.

I am thinking of getting an omega 8 will all the filters and a GEM keyboard like Joey D has. I wan the most versatile options of pure analog vintage tones. Does a memorymoog sound better than the moog setting on the SE omega 8? We are rock, pop, funk, jam. I want your opinion, I understand everyone's different. thanks.
The Omega 8 is cool, the Memorymoog is cool but they both have their negatives. If you really must have the best tone then you'll want to invest in a modular system, to achieve polyphony you'll have to record your playing via midi then split up the chords and record each note individually from the modular, but if the ultimate tone is what you want then that's the work that needs to be done.

If I were you I'd be looking at a decent sized Modcan system, although if budget is an issue then you should be able to get a decent Eurorack system for $4,000-5,000. MOTM also do great classic sounding modules, they're available through bridechamber. http://bridechamber.com/Modules_MOTM.html
gopherbroke wrote:Also, is there a holy grail live synth amp and cab?
I'm partial to the Nexo STM system but any great PA is fine. Synths are generally DI'd into the PA rather than run through an amp on stage and mic'd up, although sometimes synths are run through amps on stage as an effect. In that case you pick the amp for the effect you like, but generally you're looking for a bass amp. I like Ampeg, Gallien Kruger and Ashdown amps, although the other night I ran an organ through a Bassman head and Ashdown 4x10 cab and was really happy with the sound. Play around with it and pick what you like.

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:22 am

If money really isn't an issue do some background research on what synths people used on your favourite records and get those same units. My guess is that you're looking for sounds that originally came from units such as the Memorymoog, Jupiter-8 or the Oberheim OB-X (or OB-Xa). You really can't go wrong that way. The rest is up to how you use them yourself.

I have no first hand experience of the Omega 8, but getting something so expensive and hoping that it will sound like something else doesn't seem like the optimal choice. Of course, modern analogs have their own benefits regarding maintenance and that's why I've chosen to have a Voyager instead of an old Moog synth myself, but if money really isn't an issue...

gopherbroke

Post by gopherbroke » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:05 pm

thanks, I would love to hear from someone who could compare the moog and ob-x with the similar filters on the omega 8 and if they are as good though a little diferent. the memorymoog can break down a lot but if i could get it all in one unit I without taking a step down in tone, even if to the side and different, I would go with the 8.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:45 pm

gopherbroke wrote:thanks. I don't worry about typos on internet forums. :) Thank you, Sir. do you have either of these units?
My RCA is on the fritz, and the Telharmonium is in pieces in the garage... but when they worked, they were amazing.
Do you even post on vse bro?

cgren72

Post by cgren72 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:14 pm

gopherbroke wrote:thanks, I would love to hear from someone who could compare the moog and ob-x with the similar filters on the omega 8 and if they are as good though a little diferent. the memorymoog can break down a lot but if i could get it all in one unit I without taking a step down in tone, even if to the side and different, I would go with the 8.
I think that instead of worrying about the filters so much, you should look at a synth as a whole. If you are spending several thousand dollars for a synth's filters, you might want to reconsider.

cl516

Post by cl516 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:35 pm

i've personally owned both the Andromeda and the Omega 8, 3-4 years each. they both have very different tone. A6 has way more modulation like almost too much. Omega 8 has too little modulation, and live tweaking on many of the knobs just never felt right. In terms of the pure tone, Omega 8 was really wonderful, but I wonder how much of a difference that would make in a busy track.