does any synth sound better to your ears than an Omega 8?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
droolmaster0

Re: does any synth sound better to your ears than an Omega 8

Post by droolmaster0 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:40 pm

cl516 wrote:i've personally owned both the Andromeda and the Omega 8, 3-4 years each. they both have very different tone. A6 has way more modulation like almost too much. Omega 8 has too little modulation, and live tweaking on many of the knobs just never felt right. In terms of the pure tone, Omega 8 was really wonderful, but I wonder how much of a difference that would make in a busy track.
yes - this was my experience with the omega - static sounds sounded great (though I wouldn't describe the synth as having an edge)...but modulation sounded a bit strange.

cl516

Post by cl516 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:24 pm

droolmaster0 wrote: yes - this was my experience with the omega - static sounds sounded great (though I wouldn't describe the synth as having an edge)...but modulation sounded a bit strange.
for my ears i thought modulation on Omega sounded pretty good, just wasn't damn enough! other than the OSC FM and Filter FM, it was pretty limited. For example, using a pulse LFO to modulate pitch, it couldn't do much more than an octave if i remember correctly. on the flipside, Andromeda had many examples where the modulations would go too crazy and just wouldn't sound either good or useful. makes me sorta realize that maybe some of the limitations (in the specs) on certain synths is because they just don't sound good.

now i know what sounds "good" or "bad" is pretty subjective, but you gotta admit there are those synths out there, where the modulations read good on paper, but once they're actually performed, they just sound all garbled up and turn into the same nasty type of distorted mess... sorry i'm rambling.

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:33 pm

cl516 wrote:
droolmaster0 wrote: yes - this was my experience with the omega - static sounds sounded great (though I wouldn't describe the synth as having an edge)...but modulation sounded a bit strange.
for my ears i thought modulation on Omega sounded pretty good, just wasn't damn enough! other than the OSC FM and Filter FM, it was pretty limited. For example, using a pulse LFO to modulate pitch, it couldn't do much more than an octave if i remember correctly. on the flipside, Andromeda had many examples where the modulations would go too crazy and just wouldn't sound either good or useful. makes me sorta realize that maybe some of the limitations (in the specs) on certain synths is because they just don't sound good.

now i know what sounds "good" or "bad" is pretty subjective, but you gotta admit there are those synths out there, where the modulations read good on paper, but once they're actually performed, they just sound all garbled up and turn into the same nasty type of distorted mess... sorry i'm rambling.
no. I agree. But the subjectivity appears in my reaction to the omega - while there weren't that many modualtions, i didn't think a lot of them sounded smooth. My favorite analog synth with lots of modulations has always been the xpander/matrix 12. I do think that the same kind of issue applies to digital synths - I never liked the way that the nord synths modulated, but really like the microwave 2/xt, and Q, for instance.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:40 am

droolmaster0 wrote:
cl516 wrote:i've personally owned both the Andromeda and the Omega 8, 3-4 years each. they both have very different tone. A6 has way more modulation like almost too much. Omega 8 has too little modulation, and live tweaking on many of the knobs just never felt right. In terms of the pure tone, Omega 8 was really wonderful, but I wonder how much of a difference that would make in a busy track.
yes - this was my experience with the omega - static sounds sounded great (though I wouldn't describe the synth as having an edge)...but modulation sounded a bit strange.
cl516 wrote:

The A6 indeed has ridiculously wide amounts for the modulations (also for the levels in the mixers BTW, each channel goes up to 100, but if the sum exceeds 50, they start to clip - a feature, not a bug), but once you know the sweet spots, this synth is just amazing. If you want to fine tune anything, use the up / down buttons next to the display instead of knobs (press them both to set something to a default value, usually 0)... If you cannot make nice sounds on an A6, it's certainly not the problem of the synth...

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:02 pm

Too expensive for what it is. You can make legit or "has to be right" music with a bontempi if you want.

Buy a synth, learn to use it and record it. It's not the timbre of the the synth that's going to make the track a success it's the song. If the song is s**t then having all the classic/expensive synths on it is not going to save it.

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:13 pm

Does the Omega 8 sound like a polyphonic version of the SE-1 or ATC-X? Because that's what I've thought it could sound like (judged by the youtube clips it should be somewhere in that territory).

gopherbroke

Post by gopherbroke » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:35 pm

I wasn't asking anyone whether I need to have good songs. It is insulting to suggest that I don't know that. I was asking about gear and I thank you for you input. My producer has a DSI PEK. I wonder if an A6 would be a perfect match if I an only buy one synth myself. Is it more versatile than a memorymoog or OBX. Studio no live. What do you gusy think as one great synth would most compliment the DSI PEK for a rock pop funk etc.?

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:01 pm

LOL Seriously ? Lots of synthesizers sound better than other synthesizers to lots of people. Wanna know a secret ? No one will notice if you're using a MicroKorg or a Jupiter 8.

If it were me though, I'd say use a 60's theremin with (and this is IMPORTANT) the Mogami Gold cables. But only the 5' length cables directly into your reel to reel machine.
bonne chance

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:21 pm

i think the best sounding one is the one i happen to be f**k gwiht at the moment.

_dan

Post by _dan » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:31 am

alright, it sounds like your asking "is the omega 8 THE synth for rock/pop/funk and if not what is, cause i only wanna pay for this thing one time"

The quick answer: probably not

regardless, the omega 8 could be what you want and the rest of this post might help you out a little.

the thing about only paying once is that vintage synths may require maintenance. many agree that they are worth it, maybe some users of the omega8 could tell you what to expect in that department.

to answer your question in a way that might actually be of use to you, people need to know more about how you are hoping to use the thing.

a few considerations...
do you mind a little maintenance/soldering/etc
do you prefer the option of storing patches
are you planning on working from presets or building sounds from scratch?
what kind of knob to feature ratio are you hoping for?
do you require both mono and poly?
do you want multiple filter options?
how reliable do you need the synth to be?

The omega 8 seems to have a few decent options depending on what you are looking for, but plenty of other synths do as well. There are other questions that could be asked to find out what might best serve your needs, I recommend a browse of the buyers guide of this forum.. or maybe the synth finder

one of the 'lures of synth' is the amount of options available in sound creation, so zoom was likely trying to point out that just about any synth can sound really good depending on how it sits in the overall mix. i guess that sounds obvious, but i'd say deceptively so. anyway, what it Means is that you have plenty of synths to choose from and still get what you want
_dan
========================
soundcloud.com/fy_11
Micron, Motif XF8, Reaper
========================

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:40 am

well an omega/code 8 can't do a better 303 than a cheap-a*s DIY $300 xoxbox (built correctly) so what is 'the best tone money can buy" anyway. ime jam-packing a synth with features usually just impedes more than it can help, but ymmv.

PRACTICE makes perfect, and the right instrument for the part is really all there is to it.
the rest is pretty much noise and nonsense, i find.

oh, and all the modulation on these new super-polys (other than the sunsyn and to a degree the solaris) sound akin to 2-D dried dogshit next to a simple doepfer system. so be prepared to chase the dragon every which-way when you open that can o worms. The A6, for example, has a joke of a mod matrix even though it's massive; it just sucks in use. Doesn't stop it from sounding great within it's strengths.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

gopherbroke

Post by gopherbroke » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:29 am

the last couple of posts were helpful. I would really prefer something that doesn't require regualr maintenance. does something like a moog or oberheim always need adjustments like every few months? I need poly. I would prefer the most filters in one unit if they are not lesser than the vintage units. patches for the first record or two would be ok. don't know about the knobs ratio. I have done a lot of research on these forums and others about synths for a couple months. it's pretty daunting.

is there any reason a single synth, say the A6 or moog on one record wouldn't get tired. are there enough sounds in say one other synth and the DSI pek at the studio to sound fresh assuming the parts are creativeI? I don't usually knwo what synths are used on what records I hear, big time or not.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:02 am

Try not to take this the wrong way (probably inevitable) but it does not sound like you know what you even want it for.
A synth has unlimited sounds within the confines of it's parameters (if that even makes sense?). One turn of a knob and there, another sound. Just get a new poly synth with plenty of realtime tweaking (knobs/sliders etc) and have a noodle about. Don't spend a lot of money on it as you won't be able to get exactly what you want out of it straight away anyway. You are going to have to spend time learning how the different parameters affect the sound in order to get the sound you want (if you have an idea already?). You could just get a microkorg and make it sound amazing if you spend a bit of time with it. Most of the time it's the processing afterwards that makes the sounds fit and sound "expensive" if you like.
The more expensive does not mean "better sound" particularly. That's all in the eye of the beholder.
Some of my favourite sounds that I have made in tracks have come from cheap entry level Yamaha keyboards for kids. With some processing like nice reverbs and chorus's, delay's, EQ, distortion... whatever, and the sound sounds like it's from a record that you could buy from the shops. It's totally surpassed the dry sound you were started with.

I'm not trying to teach my grandmother to suck eggs... You sound like you're well versed in recording etc but just not synths by some of your phrases.
Good luck with it though.

gopherbroke

Post by gopherbroke » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:22 pm

It's called LEARNING. That's why they have forums. I've been on them before. No offense, but there are unhelpful people like you on every post I have ever asked on any forum and it's really annoying. If I was a well versed synth player who know everything then I wouldn't have any questions would I? There is always someone who has to give that fake bad Grandpa adivce about how I need to have a heart or learn to use bad gear as if the music won't be that much better with the right equipment. It is absolutely inevitable. And sad. Every time and on every forum. Lame.

Thank you for those who contributed to my understanding of synths. As a group, you guys are just as pretentious, petty, obonxious, unproductive and ugly as guitar players. That's impressive. :)

God forbid some of you might say something other "use whatever" or "go practice". What your motivation is, I don't know. You didn't have to respond to my posts. Really.

Again, thank you to those of you for your input. I know you don't owe me anything, and you have put into your synths what I have with my guitar. I could give anyone who asked questions I did for guitar great advice with no condescension. Really.

gopherbroke

Post by gopherbroke » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:23 pm

Now mock me because I have typos while I'm waiting for surgery. Watch everyone. It's always the same.