Novation X Station - Pleasantly surprised

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, Fantom 6, System 8, MODX6, Behringer Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog.

Novation X Station - Pleasantly surprised

Post by Broadwave » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:17 am

I've just picked up a Novation X Station 61, sold very cheaply as "non working" (I was going to strip it down for use in a DIY project). All that was wrong was that Local Off was on, if you get what I mean.

I'm seriously surprised at how good it sounds, I used to have a Novation Nova desktop synth but the X Station seems much better, less digital that my old Nova, with really quite warm sounding filters and very little aliasing going on with the oscillators... time to dump the SH-201!

I'll admit that there's fewer parameters to tweak, but as a basic VA synth it's capable of some really good patches, even a great emulation of the Polymoog's Vox Humana is possible (which even my Kronos has problems with) ;)

I guess I'll have to find something else going cheap to tear down and use for my project.

Grumblepig
Gear: Prophet 6, Korg MS-10/MS-20m, Doepfer DE, SC Pro-One, CZ-1000, Wurli 200, Roland R8/CR5000/TR-707, Boss DR110, Micromoog, Juno 6, X-Station
Band: Three Minute Tease

Re: Novation X Station - Pleasantly surprised

Post by Grumblepig » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:02 pm

Aw, an X-Station fan! I have two of 'em, one back in California and another I bought in the UK and brought to Berlin. I've ended up using it here more as a controller, but I love the sound of the thing. I think of the X-Station as my "Harmonia" synth, as it can sound sorta grey and fuzzy and very synthy but in a vague way, sorta like the various keyboards Harmonia used on "Deluxe." Maybe I'm weird, but that's a major selling point in my book! It's not a be-all synth, but it's got a lovely sound (and sometimes a beautifully horrible sound), and I'm pleased to see someone else pleased!

Oh, the guy who sold me my second one loaded it up with A-Station sounds, and those are pretty far out, ja!

Headphones.40
Gear: Korg EMX
Korg ER-1 mk2
Korg Kp1mini
Roland SP-505
Roland MC-09
Yamaha DX200
Mackie CFX20
Electrix Mofx

Post by Headphones.40 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:25 pm

I miss my X-station. I don't think I scratched the surface of everything it was capable of, but I pawned it and couldn't keep the store from selling it. I'm thinking of looking for another.

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:04 pm

I like mine a lot. So much so I picked up Xiosynth too.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:00 pm

Yup, great synth. Very under rated. I think it IS a "be all" synth. The K Station Rack is the same engine with a slightly improved UI.