Minibrute Meet The MS-20 Mini

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 1 old Japanese mono-monster, an old BBC Brit, and 2 Americans: one old NY fat poly, the other, a young Californian mono/para.

Minibrute Meet The MS-20 Mini

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:11 pm

I am planning to buy the new old Korg, and I'm wondering what I could achieve by pairing it with my Minibrute via CV? I know I'll need some kind of voltage translator, but once that's done, what could be fun to try?
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: youshootiscore

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Re: Minibrute Meet The MS-20 Mini

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:50 pm

Ned Bouhalassa wrote:I am planning to buy the new old Korg, and I'm wondering what I could achieve by pairing it with my Minibrute via CV? I know I'll need some kind of voltage translator, but once that's done, what could be fun to try?
Not sure what anyone could suggest beyond the obvious... You're as adept at inter-synth configurations as anyone, no? ;)
Do you even post on vse bro?

jimtheswede

Post by jimtheswede » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:01 pm

Except for the need for the additional CV/Hz converter needed. That's a bummer because I wanted to use my MiniBrute/Dark Energy/CP251 combo, and don't want to spend more $$ and take up space with a voltage converter. Not that I need another mono analog, but the MS20 mini does look tempting.....to use with a Analog 4 perhaps? The A4 converts CV to either CV or HZ. Too many cool synths coming out!!!! :D

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:34 am

I'm also going to get the same setup going eventually and have it also with my Minitaur and some older monos I have in close proximity. Very exciting. Kenton or Philip Rees Mini CV would be best. The Rees is an underrated box if you can find one for cheap. They're almost as expensive as the Kenton now. Then we should get the Kenton kits for our 770s, Ned. LOL.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

jimtheswede

Post by jimtheswede » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:24 am

I was going to edit my previous post and suggest Kenton come out with a compact converter. I have their USB Solo and it will convert, but I already have it dedicated to my Ody/Little Brother. If Korg was going to add Midi/USB, I would think they might also want to include an output of V/Oct. I don't think I'm interested, but I'll wait for AG's review! :D
(hope I'm correct in assuming that the KS200mini will not track key voltages correctly with Volt/Oct synths? )

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 1 old Japanese mono-monster, an old BBC Brit, and 2 Americans: one old NY fat poly, the other, a young Californian mono/para.

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:54 am

Sir Ruff wrote:Not sure what anyone could suggest beyond the obvious... You're as adept at inter-synth configurations as anyone, no? ;)
The last time I really explored a synth with as many external input possibilities was... in 1987, on a large Aries 300 modular system! I may have forgotten a few things. :oops:

I actually was hoping to hear from some MS-20 users (the original) as to some not-so-obvious possibilities. I think I'll explore the MS-20 Mini's ESP and route that to my SH-5, so I can play the later with a guitar. :lol:

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:56 am

plikestechno wrote: Then we should get the Kenton kits for our 770s, Ned. LOL.
Funny you should mention that as it is #1 on my technician-to-do list, for real! 8-)

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:58 am

jimtheswede wrote:I was going to edit my previous post and suggest Kenton come out with a compact converter. I have their USB Solo and it will convert...
Perfect! I have one. ;) But wait, I don't get how that would work, if say, I want to take CV out from one synth and route it to control something on the MS-20 (or the other way around). Isn't the Kenton basically to control one CV synth via MIDI?

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:17 am

Ned: MS-20 Mini: Hz per volt.
MiniBrute: Volt per octave.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:18 am

Harvestman English Tear.

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:30 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Harvestman English Tear.
this is still quite costly tho right?

cos you have to get a case/PSU for it...wonder what the total would be including the module

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:31 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Ned: MS-20 Mini: Hz per volt.
MiniBrute: Volt per octave.
Kenton and philip rees can convert midi to hz/v as well so going both wise is fine as both have midi.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm

OK, Step 1: watch Marc's videos on the MS-20 Patch panel...

*Edit* Whoo-hoo: Headphone out as mod source, cool!

PS: I have an MS-20iC, so I can practice. :P

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:01 pm

Speaking of mating Korg and Arturia products: can I make my Minibrute "talk" to my Korg Poly-61? In other words, can I send CV/Gate out from the Minibrute into the arpeggio trigger of the Poly-61? Or do I have a voltage-conversion issue?

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:49 am

I suspect there is going to be a big increase in Hz/volt conversion here, soon.

As a guy who is currently having the time of his life playing an MS-20 Mini, I HEARTILY endorse the purchase of such conversion if you're a person who does CV related stuff.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay