Jupiter 8 Sold for £375!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Jupiter 8 Sold for £375!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pro5 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:38 pm

I found this today searching Ebay. I must have missed the listing by about 10 minutes (it seems to have started and ended within 4 minutes - no surprise).

If this is legit and it seems it is (Who would scam for a mere £375?) then somebody somewhere has had all their birthdays and Xmas's come at once.

And me? I feel I need to go and be sick then cancel 2013 :(

ROLAND JUPITER 8 CLASSIC ANALOGUE SYNTH with FLIGHTCASE & MANUAL | eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROLAND-JUPITE ... 3f228ad946

Sorry if someone else posted this, I did try searching.

The amount of time I spend scouring Ebay I rarely bother looking for JP-8s anymore because they are pie in the sky prices for me. :cry:

I posted this over on the gearslutz forums too where it's been debated re a scam or not and there is no evidence that it was. Seller left feedback and posted next day as far as I can see.

Happy sleeping tonight :shock:

original GS thread (mods delete if not allowed)
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electron ... 5-wtf.html

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Re: Jupiter 8 Sold for £375!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Alex E » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:58 pm

I swear to god if someone sells that for profit, I'm gonna just... ugh.
soundcloud.com/vectron

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:26 pm

That eBay listing doesn't have enough references to Robert Moog.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:11 pm

The feedback about the Roland is gone...

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Pro5 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:03 am

madtheory wrote:The feedback about the Roland is gone...
No it's not

The seller left this - it's in his 'feedback left for others' at the bottom of page 1 currently
excellent transaction AAAAAAAAAAA++++++++ Buyer: gardenview1 ( 73) 25-Feb-13 20:53
ROLAND JUPITER 8 CLASSIC ANALOGUE SYNTH with FLIGHTCASE & MANUAL (#271162464582)
As I said, the seller left feedback on the buyer, not the other way around (yet). The Buyer may not want to in case he flips the synth soon and doesn't want it showing so obviously.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:43 am

Not quite Gordon Reid's GX-1, but a lucky find if it's legit and in proper working order. How many of these tales of good fortune are there I wonder, well outside the confines of the evil-bay market? In all likelihood if it's not flipped immediately, it will be within 2 years. Most people's expectations once they get one can't be met, and contrary to what many believe, they do have technical issues like any other vintage electronics and some just don't want to deal with that. It's only a JP8, not the answer to all your dreams and prayers.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

fh991586
Gear: Roland JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:06 am

Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho

Joshy

Post by Joshy » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:13 am

Alex E wrote:I swear to god if someone sells that for profit, I'm gonna just... ugh.
Yeah, an immediate flip would be lame. I hope whoever got it will enjoy it and get the most out of it.

kvnvk

Post by kvnvk » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:24 am

just checked the guy's items for sale it it appears he may be more of a stamp collector and not aware of what a Jupiter 8 is worth these days (if the one he sold was even in working condition). he has a few other synths, including a Korg 01 (?) priced at £400, which is kind of puzzling when compared to the JP8...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KORG-01-Wfd-M ... 3f228bda13

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Pro5 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:28 am

kvnvk wrote:just checked the guy's items for sale it it appears he may be more of a stamp collector and not aware of what a Jupiter 8 is worth these days (if the one he sold was even in working condition). he has a few other synths, including a Korg 01 (?) priced at £400, which is kind of puzzling when compared to the JP8...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KORG-01-Wfd-M ... 3f228bda13
Yeah that's why it looks legit. Seller was stuck in the 90s (as I mentioned in the GS thread) and thinks the Korg was worth more (when it's about 50% over priced on starting bid) - stands to reason he thinks the old slightly bashed up roland would be worth less...

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:55 pm

Guess this goes down in the history books as one of those once-in-a-lifetime deals. Sort of like the legendary "found a Jupiter-8 for $200 buried in a pawn shop" story.

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:05 pm

Folks need to get more streetwise i feel , i smell a scam gone wrong here, i won a orange/ black Arp 2600 on ebay UK a few years ago for £5, never paid for it as i recieved a email from the seller saying its developed faults so i cant sell, still gave me good feedback, a for parts or spares Roland Jupiter 8 sold on Sound on Sound UK about 5 years ago for £250 and that was a true sale i know who got that, wise up guys.
yamoto773

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:16 pm

Doesn't have to be a scam. Sometimes people sell stuff they have no idea of the value of. Specially if they inherited it from a dead relative, and have never had any interest in musical instruments. To them it's just "a keyboard, I'll put it up and see if it sells", kind of.

I bought a Korg MS-10 some years ago for next to nothing. The ad actually had an MS-20 in the picture. I called the guy and asked why the MS-20 was so cheap, then it turned out it was an MS-10, he'd just used the wrong picture. And he had no idea if it worked, other than a red light when it switched on. He'd just found it in the attic while cleaning up the house of his recently deceased uncle. He wouldn't even know how to plug it in and make a sound with it, so he just put it out for sale. He even told me it "has no speakers".

Those people definately do exist.

Then there's the story Rick Wakeman told on his "evening with..." DVD, about his first ever Minimoog. He found an ad in the newspaper for the then brand new Minimoog, sold at next to nothing. He thought that was odd, and contacted the seller personally. The guy was a piano player, and wanted to sell it because it only played one note at a time.
Wakeman even tried to pay more, but he wouldn't have any of it and more or less gave it away since the keyboard was useless to him, and he thought "the kids" would have more use for it. Wakeman was in his early 20s at the time, so..
Last edited by Bitexion on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:20 pm

My advice, learn to be a little less materialistic. I've learned it's not worth being sick over. ;)

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:31 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:My advice, learn to be a little less materialistic. I've learned it's not worth being sick over. ;)
There have been over the last few months top end synths going on listings on ebay uk, you dont even have to play or know what a JP8 is a search on the web will soon give you your answer, its not worth having been rushed through cardiac arrest i agree ,i bought mine off ebay for £1000 5yrs ago i got lucky nothing more ex Level 42.
yamoto773