Synth prices and inflation

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Re: Synth prices and inflation

Post by calaverasgrande » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:47 pm

Swayze wrote:I bought a fully functioning "time capsule" juno 106 off ebay 5 years ago for $500. Now the average asking price is $700-1200...these people are insane. The 106 is a prime example of synth inflation. There are plenty others that have virtually doubled in price in the last 5 years, at least on ebay. There's a growing demand for vintage synthesizers, but because supply is obviously limited, we're bound to see price hikes. Hopefully this analog revival will slow things down a little with NEW analog that's affordable and can compete with old gear.
The good ole days of ebay are long gone. Used to be it was possible to score cool deals on there, or evendiscover gear you didnt know existed.
Now it is the reverse. Ebay has driven up the prices of pretty much all used gear in a weird way.
Last couple of times I've sold gear to a music store, they checked the price of completed listings on ebay for simlar items then offered me a percentage of that average. (they of course have to make a profit to stay in business, I don't begrudge my local mom and pop their margins).
And of course most of the more savy sellers on CL use ebay as a benchmark as well.
Shoot I recall when I bought my first Poly 800 it was $45, the second one was $60. I sold both for over $200 each jsut a few years later (and bought a Dark Energy :twisted: ).
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:23 pm

Were the chips already replaced in that 106?

Also, 500$ in 2009 are 540$ now :mrgreen:

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08

Post by Swayze » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:25 pm

calaverasgrande wrote:The good ole days of ebay are long gone. Used to be it was possible to score cool deals on there, or evendiscover gear you didnt know existed.
Now it is the reverse. Ebay has driven up the prices of pretty much all used gear in a weird way.
True dat. It was fun while it lasted. Now it pays to be patient and score deals locally or through this fantastic forum. I'm through with FEEbay.

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08

Post by Swayze » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:31 pm

pflosi wrote:Were the chips already replaced in that 106?
Don't think they were, it was stored in a closet for 30 years, basically NOS. But ya, the cost of replacement chips would be a factor someday. Still, $1,200 today for a 106!!! You could buy a 60 for the same or less. Trendy BS if ya ask me.

georgemarauder

Post by georgemarauder » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:16 am

I think the prices of new synthesizers are ridiculous right now. They certainly cash in on the synthesizer hype that has happened over the past several years.

A Prophet 12 is $3000 new? That is unreal. You can buy Reason 7 and 50 rack extension instruments for less than that, and most of them will probably sound just as good as the Prophet. Crazy if you ask me.

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:18 am

Is it just me or has this forum come down with an extreme case of stupid?
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:43 am

georgemarauder wrote:I think the prices of new synthesizers are ridiculous right now. They certainly cash in on the synthesizer hype that has happened over the past several years.

A Prophet 12 is $3000 new? That is unreal. You can buy Reason 7 and 50 rack extension instruments for less than that, and most of them will probably sound just as good as the Prophet. Crazy if you ask me.
Haha... software. You know what kills your rack of 50 extensions? The kazoo and jug I just bought for $5.
Do you even post on vse bro?

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:33 am

Who would have thought a new 12 voice digital analog hybrid that is manufactured by a relatively small company would cost 3000 usd?
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.

Post by calaverasgrande » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:55 am

georgemarauder wrote:I think the prices of new synthesizers are ridiculous right now. They certainly cash in on the synthesizer hype that has happened over the past several years.

There is a lesson that many people tried to teach me but that I had to learn myself.
While you can use a screwdriver as a hammer, you cannot use a hammer as a screwdriver.
just use the hammer as a hammer and the screwdriver as the screwdriver.
They are happier that way, and you won't break a handle.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Post by 8bit9bot » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:14 am

calaverasgrande wrote:use a screwdriver as a hammer, you cannot use a hammer as a screwdriver.
just use the hammer as a hammer and the screwdriver as the screwdriver.
They are happier that way, and you won't break a handle.
indeed! i say if you really require this one specific machine very badly... make it happen somehow... either learn how to fix a broken one or work an extra part time job for a year to afford it - or get a loan or credit card etc

but some things have stupidly inflated prices... i say combine the concept of "this iconic machine you want very badly" with "this is still a decent deal"... so for example instead of a jupiter 8 you buy an ob-8... cuz it serves the same purpose (mostly)... same amount of prestige... less of a rip off price - you may even like it more than the jup8... dont get tricked into "it costs more so its better"

Synthetech

Post by Synthetech » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:54 am

calaverasgrande wrote: While you can use a screwdriver as a hammer, you cannot use a hammer as a screwdriver.

I've actually taken a framing hammer, flipped it around to the claw side and used one of the claws to turn a very large standard headed screw...
But I can honestly say that I have never in my life driven a nail into wood with a screwdriver... unless of course I hit the screwdriver with a hammer (using the screwdriver like a punch to sink a finish nail below the wood surface)

:-)

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by calaverasgrande » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:14 am

point that I was obliquely making is, use the right tool for the job.

When I used a lot of softsynths I always ended up effecting the c**p out of them to make them sound bigger.
Since I've gotten in to hardware I have the reverse problem. I have to manipulate the instruments with EQ and dynamics to make them smaller.