Rare :: SH-101 :: Army Green

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
C Faith
Gear: Prophet '08,Tempest, Mopho, Mono Evolver, Akai AX80 & AX60, Oberheim Matrix 6, Roland Alpha Juno 2 & SH-101, Ensoniq VFX & SQ80.
Band: Lord Preset

Re: Rare :: SH-101 :: Army Green

Post by C Faith » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:44 pm

adhmzaiusz wrote:
My 101 is olive green. It is a different color from the mod grip which is gray, and inside the battery compartment is the same color as the mod grip. I'd upload a picture but it is too much a pain in the a*s to do so. Looks like the typical aging of plastic as one would expect for a 30 year old synth.
But, have you owned it for 30 years? Did you witness the transformation? Have any other SH-101 owner's witnessed the change? Why are there no green grips? Different plastic? Typical aging? Doesn't sound typical.

Posting pictures tonight and proposing an experiment. I will take the battery cover off and see if the grey underside changes over the next 30 years to anything other that grey.

themilford
Gear: Oberheim SYSTEM: OB8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Moog Taurus 3, Fender Bass IV LH (CS), Rickenbacker 620/6 (LH), Crumar Trilogy needing major repair.
Band: Season Finale

Post by themilford » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:38 am

Dudes!

You are wrong about the SH... you are wrong about the SNES. For various reasons plastic changes color, some cases are well documented and plentiful... others are rare...depends on the polymers, age and environment.

If you spent any time in the computer or video game collecting community you'd know all about this:.

Everybody read this:
http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com

Thread closed!

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:48 am

C Faith wrote:I should not have said 'painted'. Sorry about that. But, it has been molded with that color. I've seen too many of them over the years. If I'm wrong about the SNES, I am wrong.
Did you actually read the entire article? The guy mentions it's an old SNES that he's had since the early 90's. On top of that, an expert explains the process of plastic discoloration. There's even a picture showing a corner where the plastic is chipped and on the inside, it's the grey color that it originally was. First you mention it was painted that color, which if that were true, it would have been like that to begin with and no point of the guy writing the article. Second, and if it was molded that color, why would there be a different shade of grey in the inside where the plastic chipped?

You are wrong.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:54 am

SUPER METROID FOREVER.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

C Faith
Gear: Prophet '08,Tempest, Mopho, Mono Evolver, Akai AX80 & AX60, Oberheim Matrix 6, Roland Alpha Juno 2 & SH-101, Ensoniq VFX & SQ80.

Post by C Faith » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:31 am

themilford wrote:Dudes!

You are wrong about the SH... you are wrong about the SNES. For various reasons plastic changes color, some cases are well documented and plentiful... others are rare...depends on the polymers, age and environment.

If you spent any time in the computer or video game collecting community you'd know all about this:.

Everybody read this:
http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com

Thread closed!
Thanks for the article. I'm tempted to try out the treatment and reverse the yellowing.

"The result of this mix may differ, depending on the how the gray was mixed. Most often, though, by adding yellow to the gray, the result will be a green tinted gray. "

Grey and yellowing = Green.

It was kind of fun arguing about it.

And, I'm more of a Metroid Prime kind of guy.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:52 am

Metroid prime is singularly one of the most important games ever made as it was also integral in the development of the speedrunning sub communities.

Not to mention the soundtrack is sick as f**k.

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:02 am

Metroid Prime Trilogy owes me some kind of refund on a my death bed. I'd hate to die knowing that much of my life was spent and I've yet to unlock even a fraction of the bonuses. If I had to do it all again, I'd go with Super Metroid. That or start using heroin, which is probably more comforting.

C Faith

Post by C Faith » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:24 am

tekkentool wrote:Metroid prime is singularly one of the most important games ever made as it was also integral in the development of the speedrunning sub communities.

Not to mention the soundtrack is sick as f**k.
Had to look that one up (speedrunning sub communities). And you are correct, that is an awesome soundtrack. Now I'm wanting to run through it again. It's been a few years.

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:35 am

If it's green it's probably for the same reason the previously blue switches on my Mini Moog are now olive green amd the previously white ones are light yellow/cream.

It could be UV, smoke, heat, a chemical reaction or a combination of the above.

My Mini spent over a decade in a dark closet before I bought it.

8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Post by 8bit9bot » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:19 am

somehow i think the OP is trolling us all

Re-Member

Post by Re-Member » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:51 am

8bit9bot wrote:somehow i think the OP is trolling us all
Seeing how it was the OP's only post on the subject and the other person we've been debating it with also happens to have a user name that begins with a "C", I'd say you're right on the money.

At the very least, Metroid has brought us all a little closer together. Sha la-la laaaa...

C Faith

Post by C Faith » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:00 am

Re-Member wrote:
8bit9bot wrote:somehow i think the OP is trolling us all
Seeing how it was the OP's only post on the subject and the other person we've been debating it with also happens to have a user name that begins with a "C", I'd say you're right on the money.

At the very least, Metroid has brought us all a little closer together. Sha la-la laaaa...
quote]

Not the same person. I think the OP was hoping he had something worth more than it is. I just have/had a hard time believing mine looked the way it does due to age. It's just so gorgeous. I will have this synth till I'm old and can't play. It sits next to my new Minibrute. They like each other. And when I worked at a used game store, other employees convinced me the SNES sold that way. In person the SNES with the multi-tone looks okay.

noisecomm
Gear: Ensoniq ESQs & Sq80s, various Junos & an odd jx-3p, Korg & yamaha units & a Rhodes Suitcase 73. SIG
Band: sick past nine

Post by noisecomm » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:36 am

My grey Sh-101 is also kinda green and broken, can i get more for it on ebay?
Roland-Korg-Ensoniq-Yamaha-Casio-Emu-Rhodes-Wurli-Tape-Digital-Pedals-Brain

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:57 pm

God this thread is BS.

I've had 2 'grey' SH-101. One was pristine grey the other was army green/khaki. Inside the casing and under the battery cover it was exactly the same grey as my grey one. In other words, of course it's not a real army green edition it's a shitty faded/changed grey edition. common knowledge.

Just like the red ones can go pink, doesn't mean Roland made an official pink version? :lol:

And common sense dictates Roland wouldn't bother making two versions that are actually very close in colour with the 'green' one looking like a really fugly version of the grey one!

There were no official white ones either - these are custom jobs and not exactly common.

probably already all been said in the thread but may as well add to the troll feeding 8-)

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:11 am

The pink one is even more rare than the green one.
And is better at that great phat Juno sound.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay