Rare :: SH-101 :: Army Green

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Re: Rare :: SH-101 :: Army Green

Post by bochelli » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:56 pm

Was it 66,000 or so made ? put them all on a playing field and check them out, storage/location will turn many that way, h**l in years to come a bright spark will say his Gaia is off ivory livery must be rare.
yamoto773

C Faith
Gear: Prophet '08,Tempest, Mopho, Mono Evolver, Akai AX80 & AX60, Oberheim Matrix 6, Roland Alpha Juno 2 & SH-101, Ensoniq VFX & SQ80.
Band: Lord Preset

Post by C Faith » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:07 pm

GuyaGuy wrote:"Exposed to UV light" doesn't mean "left out in the sun."
Also, it's not paint. Pigmentation colors the actual plastic.
In all of those pics the green actually looks greenish grey.

Plenty of materials, dyes, and paints change color over time.
Yellowing is one of the most common. Check out pre-20th century paintings for examples.
For more recent examples and a look at the chemistry involved:
http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/189
The Super Nintendo in the article was painted that way. I've worked at a used game shop and there were three different paintjobs on the original. It was not discolored. But, I'm glad someone looked at the science.

stf-ran
Gear: Voyager, DSI P12, Cubase.

Post by stf-ran » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:17 pm

Not only can I vouch for C Faith's SH-101 being green, I believe it also sounds different. A little 'greener'. It's not as mellow sounding as a blue one or as brash as a red. Closer to the neutral sound of a grey.

themilford
Gear: Oberheim: OB-8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Yamaha CS-15, Akai AX-60, S612, Moog Taurus 3, Alesis MMT-8, HR-16, Fender Bass IV, Rickenbacker 620/6, Crumar Trilogy
Band: Season Finale

Post by themilford » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:19 pm

C Faith wrote:The Super Nintendo in the article was painted that way.
Nope. Wrong.

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, Fantom 6, Novation Summit, Modal Argon8X, Yamaha MODX6, Behringer Odyssey, Behringer Poly D, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX.

Post by Broadwave » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:49 pm

Definitely UV exposure... It's the same reason why SOME old Roland keybeds turn a creamy yellow. I've often seen Rolands with keybeds that have a mix of white & yellowed keys... it's just different plastic manufacturing batches.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:34 pm

stf-ran wrote:Not only can I vouch for C Faith's SH-101 being green, I believe it also sounds different. A little 'greener'. It's not as mellow sounding as a blue one or as brash as a red. Closer to the neutral sound of a grey.
With all due respect this is exactly the kind of rubbish that starts these rumours.

I can accept that there may be some *slight* variation in tone between different units depending on component tolerances but come on, do you think they put different parts/boards in depending on the colour? Or maybe it's the added pixie dust they were snorting on the production line that day. :lol:

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:44 pm

Army Green WAS on one of the most popular colors in the popular color palette of 1980s-era products.
You can totally see the logic of creating grey, blue, red in copious quantities... and then putting out a few army green ones. It makes perfect sense.

And you KNOW they built the internal components differently on the green ones. Because the SH-101 was such a high-end sought-after synth.

It's like the line of tube-based TB-303s they built because of the record sales of that item. Those were army green, too.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

stf-ran
Gear: Voyager, DSI P12, Cubase.

Post by stf-ran » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:46 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:
stf-ran wrote:Not only can I vouch for C Faith's SH-101 being green, I believe it also sounds different. A little 'greener'. It's not as mellow sounding as a blue one or as brash as a red. Closer to the neutral sound of a grey.
With all due respect this is exactly the kind of rubbish that starts these rumours.

I can accept that there may be some *slight* variation in tone between different units depending on component tolerances but come on, do you think they put different parts/boards in depending on the colour? Or maybe it's the added pixie dust they were snorting on the production line that day. :lol:
Actually, I got quite the chuckle typing that bit. Obviously a joke. I'll leave it up to you to decide if it was funny or not.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:48 pm

stf-ran wrote:
Hybrid88 wrote:

Actually, I got quite the chuckle typing that bit. Obviously a joke. I'll leave it up to you to decide if it was funny or not.
Oh God, I thought you were serious haha :D

(PS: I still think it was the pixie dust :P )

urgetoplay

Post by urgetoplay » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:00 pm

Why would some Sh-101s turn green and not others? Perhaps they changed suppliers during the run. This happened with the Chroma. The keybeds on the first 50 were sourced from a different supplier. As they aged, they turned a creamy ivory color ( like a lot of 80s computers. There were two keys at each end of the keyboard that had to be specially made as they weren't typical piano key shapes. These remained white).
Resonance in Humans is called Empathy.

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:02 pm

This thread is confusing. :?

Why not open up the SH-101 and observe the inside of the plastic casing? I would expect that if the cabinet was actually of a green color, the interior of the unit would also follow suit. If not, assume it was customized, or as has been stated ad-nauseam; effects of chemical aging in the plastic compound.

Feel free to post another few photos in good neutral lighting, maybe links to high-res photos.

At the end of the conversation, the circuits are all the same, so having an SH-101 of any other colour than the standard "f**k-my-a*s-this-is-boring Gray" would be absolutely superfluous.
Automatic Gainsay wrote:Because the SH-101 was such a high-end sought-after synth.
Yep, it's this and the System 55. No idea why anyone bothers with anything else. :friends:
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:22 pm

:facepalm:

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:22 pm

C Faith wrote:Why then are all the grey SH-101's ever made not green now? Why just a few? Why the same army green? Why not a less deep color? Paints usually fade to a lighter color, not darker.
I have seen keys yellow over time, but not uniformly.
Different exposure to light, smoke, temperatures, etc.
As mentioned, it's not paint. But paints don't usually fade to lighter colors either. It depends on the pigments.

C Faith wrote:

Yellowing is one of the most common. Check out pre-20th century paintings for examples.
The Super Nintendo in the article was painted that way. I've worked at a used game shop and there were three different paintjobs on the original. It was not discolored. But, I'm glad someone looked at the science.
1) Again, it's not paint.
2) And no, it wasn't painted that way

C Faith
Gear: Prophet '08,Tempest, Mopho, Mono Evolver, Akai AX80 & AX60, Oberheim Matrix 6, Roland Alpha Juno 2 & SH-101, Ensoniq VFX & SQ80.
Band: Lord Preset

Post by C Faith » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:50 pm

GuyaGuy wrote:
C Faith wrote:Why then are all the grey SH-101's ever made not green now? Why just a few? Why the same army green? Why not a less deep color? Paints usually fade to a lighter color, not darker.
I have seen keys yellow over time, but not uniformly.
Different exposure to light, smoke, temperatures, etc.
As mentioned, it's not paint. But paints don't usually fade to lighter colors either. It depends on the pigments.

C Faith wrote:

1) Again, it's not paint.
2) And no, it wasn't painted that way
I should not have said 'painted'. Sorry about that. But, it has been molded with that color. I've seen too many of them over the years. If I'm wrong about the SNES, I am wrong. Now, the SH looks like the green has been painted over the grey. I will try to get some good pictures tonight. Maybe this can be ended forever for everyone who has a green SH-101 or has seen one.

adhmzaiusz

Post by adhmzaiusz » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:30 pm

C Faith wrote:I should not have said 'painted'. Sorry about that. But, it has been molded with that color. I've seen too many of them over the years. If I'm wrong about the SNES, I am wrong. Now, the SH looks like the green has been painted over the grey. I will try to get some good pictures tonight. Maybe this can be ended forever for everyone who has a green SH-101 or has seen one.
My 101 is olive green. It is a different color from the mod grip which is gray, and inside the battery compartment is the same color as the mod grip. I'd upload a picture but it is too much a pain in the a*s to do so. Looks like the typical aging of plastic as one would expect for a 30 year old synth.
‹‡›