Rare :: SH-101 :: Army Green

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Re: Rare :: SH-101 :: Army Green

Post by Bitexion » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:56 am

Well, this thread did something good for me. I youtubed for SH-101 demos, found a mention that the "SH-2 is like that, just twice", so I looked for SH-2 videos and found this:

I love this guy. So enthusiastic you don't even need to understand what he's talking about.

Oh, and also this:

That one's subtitled if you hit that button underneath the video. The man is Katsunori Ujie, one of Yamaha's lead sound designers for the past two decades. He also demos tons of vintage synths on his channel.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:41 am

But the SH-2 isn't popularized by my favorite artist and all the people who worship my favorite artist! What use have I for it?
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:44 am

I'm sure Jarre used one at some point. So I'm covered.

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:36 am

My collaborator and I have a Jupiter-6 each (yes we're decadent freaks) and there is a very noticeable colour difference between them. They are kept in the same studio space so the difference is quite evident.

Mine is very black and shiny, whereas his has much more of a gray, matte texture. It's completely uniform, but I'm still sure it's a matter of different exposure to light and materials over +-30 years.

Strangely, I prefer the sound of his Jupe's filter. Its resonance is a lot nicer than mine. Again, it's probably down to calibration / different aging components.

Funnily enough we also have an SH-101 each, and mine is slightly more green-ish than his:

The upper one is mine. Do I really have the ultra-rare "army-green" version??? :mrgreen:
Monkey business since 2007!

Sexor

Post by Sexor » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:45 am

Can we please have another thread about the Juno-106 blue/green program buttons as well?

Sexor

Post by Sexor » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:51 am

Ok, before that actually happens, have a look at this:

[thumbnail]http://www.prosound.com/wp-content/uplo ... ideaq2.jpg[/thumbnail]

Look at how the program buttons (the parts of them that have endured the outside world for 25+ years) have started the discoloration process. They're not quite green yet, but surely, when this synth came off the production line, they were as blue as the rest of the plastic holding them in place.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:57 am

I don't know what the f**k color mine is turning, but it's darker than when I first bought it 13 years ago. And yeah, only on the outside, as mentioned. Image
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Sexor

Post by Sexor » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:01 am

Let's hope it turns army-green so you can make a fortune on e-bay :D

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:22 am

I don't think it's in any condition to sell. :shock: Should be interesting to see the plastic change as I continue causing it to mutate.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:14 am

Bitexion wrote:Well, this thread did something good for me. I youtubed for SH-101 demos, found a mention that the "SH-2 is like that, just twice".
As much as I love the SH101, that statement is completely ridiculous, whoever made it... The SH2 blows the 101 completely away.

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Post by Broadwave » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:56 pm

pflosi wrote:
Bitexion wrote:Well, this thread did something good for me. I youtubed for SH-101 demos, found a mention that the "SH-2 is like that, just twice".
As much as I love the SH101, that statement is completely ridiculous, whoever made it... The SH2 blows the 101 completely away.
I have to agree, that extra VCO makes an incredible difference.

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Post by Broadwave » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:58 pm

Solderman wrote:I don't know what the f**k color mine is turning, but it's darker than when I first bought it 13 years ago. And yeah, only on the outside, as mentioned. Image
Interesting Mods... Without hijacking the thread, what have you had done?

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:03 pm

Kronik wrote:
pflosi wrote:
I have to agree, that extra VCO makes an incredible difference.
Just some random youtube comment. Actually I haven't neither seen or played a Roland older than the Juno-106, hence the youtube searching.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:16 pm

Kronik wrote:Interesting Mods... Without hijacking the thread, what have you had done?
Look up the Novamod, and I've done most of those. Also added Triangle waveform to the audio mix, envelope to pitch and recently took out the pitch stick and set up input and output jacks for routing modulation signals to and from other gear. The LFO on mine is currently dead though. It needs a new dual op-amp chip, so the repair involves a bit of effort, and I just don't give a s**t, atm.
Kronik wrote:...that extra VCO makes an incredible difference.
Not to mention the SH2 VCO's are discrete design of a much higher caliber than the 101's lone white-dot Curtis VCO chip. I use my Oberheim SEM Pro through my 101's filter and it becomes clear how much low-end the filter rolls off as resonance increases. So between a more linear VCO and a much thinner resonant VCF, it's no wonder they say the 101 sounds plastic.
If you do the mod to add the Triangle VCO waveform to the 101's audio mix, it sounds less plastic, but will never have that lovely high-end sheen that the SH2 oscillators exhibit.
--Solderman no more.

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:57 am

Here is a close up of my "rare" army green Mini Moog switches. You can see what position they were in while they discolored.