contemplating selling my prophet 600

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Floss

contemplating selling my prophet 600

Post by Floss » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:55 am

I think I want a nord lead 2x.... Should I do it??? Would like to hear nays and ayes lol

Kenneth
Gear: Nothing I own will make you jealous.
Band: KGB

Re: contemplating selling my prophet 600

Post by Kenneth » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:58 am

You will regret it almost immediately. Keep the Prophet. (Nord has close to zero character or personality of any kind.)
Comparison is the thief of joy.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:20 am

I'm of the opinion that hardware VA's are in general not worth having unless you need them to perform live.

filtermod

Post by filtermod » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:06 am

I have both (nord lead2 though, not 2x). I would keep the Prophet.
The nord is great for when you need something to cut in the mix without taking up too much space, but the Prophet has it's own thing going on. If you're going to sell the Prophet, maybe get something other than a nord. It's a fun immediate synth, but I wouldn't take it over my P600. The P600 just has more mojo to it. :ugeek:
you can't fix stupid

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:03 am

I thought "the nord sound" was so distinct it was kind of a thing of its own?

If you find that your P600 is never getting used anymore, why keep it around to collect more dust? I'm sure you'll have fun with a "new" Nordlead 2x too.

bluntedcircuit
Gear: machinedrum, mpc1000, blofeld, maschine, kp3, esq1, ms20, ableton

Post by bluntedcircuit » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:00 am

i wouldnt sell.
the nord is cool, but ive always been a sucker for the character in those old sequential circuits synths.

unless space is an issue id just hold off and try to save if i really wanted a nord.

Romannis1972
Gear: JX8P, SX-240, iPad running NanoStudio, Z3TA, Modular, Thor, Alchemy, iMS20, Audulus, Caustic, Xynthesizr
Band: Romannis Mötte

Post by Romannis1972 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:52 am

tekkentool wrote:I'm of the opinion that hardware VA's are in general not worth having unless you need them to perform live.
Aye, the Virus A... she's warm beauty she is....

I felt the Nord 3 sounded the best outta the three.
But not as good as a P600.
Find another to swap for. I hated the stairstepping on my P600...

Floss

Post by Floss » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:33 am

The thing about the p600 is that it sounds slightly harsh at times. I think Ill just pick up a nord rack and try it.. I love fun and immediate though!

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:50 am

The Nordlead 3 sounds the most "analogue" of the series, true. But also less distinct than the others.
It nearly rivals the Alesis Ion in that area, I know coz I heavily demoed both before deciding to get an Ion back in the day.

Also, it cost twice than the Ion did..
I had my eyes on the NL2X too, as they had one in the same store and the price was almost identical. But the 3 oscillators and 3 modwheels on the Ion won me over.

I'd be wary of listening to naysayers who don't own or haven't owned a P600, they/we most likely want one ourselves, so we wouldn advice against selling it. I'm just saying that a new synth might bring more fun than an old synth you rarely use and is tired of. Learning a brand new interface is part of the fun for me.

Floss

Post by Floss » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:16 am

maybe your right. I think Im gonna go for a Nord and another synth... maybe polysix

I own a virus ti too, but I don't like the Raw Oscillator sound, it turns me off to making sounds...So the only complicated synth I own to create sounds is the p600. I was making a sound where one osc was going, and the other had a cool PWM on it with square LFO... then I wanted to put some pitch LFO (sine) on the overall sound, but I couldn't do it. I felt limited. So I thought a nord would be in my price range where I can do some cool stuff like that.

playing with the p600 now, of course it's sounding SO GOOD right now lol :|

Romannis1972
Gear: JX8P, SX-240, iPad running NanoStudio, Z3TA, Modular, Thor, Alchemy, iMS20, Audulus, Caustic, Xynthesizr

Post by Romannis1972 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:31 am

Floss wrote:maybe your right. I think Im gonna go for a Nord and another synth... maybe polysix

I own a virus ti too, but I don't like the Raw Oscillator sound, it turns me off to making sounds...So the only complicated synth I own to create sounds is the p600. I was making a sound where one osc was going, and the other had a cool PWM on it with square LFO... then I wanted to put some pitch LFO (sine) on the overall sound, but I couldn't do it. I felt limited. So I thought a nord would be in my price range where I can do some cool stuff like that.

playing with the p600 now, of course it's sounding SO GOOD right now lol :|
Correct me if I'm wrong, but by "raw osc" sound.... the TI and P600 should be almost the same idea, yes? The P600 osc's should not be any different than the TI (other than analog vs digital) but exactly the same concept. P600 has one LFO. TI has two. You have the tools right infront of you to make the patch you desire. You can even tailor the osc's on the TI to get the P600 timbre even....

And it doesn't get any more "raw" than the P600 osc's :lol:

Floss

Post by Floss » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:00 am

Sorry lol correction

I don't like the raw(meaning no FX or modulation on it) not the describing the texture of the sound... The virus TI has no character on the plain osc.

The raw oscillator of the P600 sounds RAW... haha. The Raw osc of the virus TI sounds lame.

Romannis1972

Post by Romannis1972 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:37 am

Floss wrote:Sorry lol correction

I don't like the raw(meaning no FX or modulation on it) not the describing the texture of the sound... The virus TI has no character on the plain osc.

The raw oscillator of the P600 sounds RAW... haha. The Raw osc of the virus TI sounds lame.
Haha.. the oscillators must have changed quite a bit on the TI, as the oscillators on my Virus A sound quite amazing!!

Floss

Post by Floss » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:06 am

I heard those ones have better OSC than TI

Do you know if sounds are compatible with Virus A and TI?

Phenom

Post by Phenom » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:45 am

I'm probably in the minority here, but I find the Nord Leads 1 and 2 some of the most boring synths I've ever played. Yes, they have a sound some artists have done interesting things with, but they sound dull and lifeless to me. Lovely to look at mind, but the Nord Leads along with the Novation Supernova series, were by far my least favourite VAs. They look pretty, and for a live act they make a viable alternative to taking out an old Prophet, but playtest it hard before buying into the hype.

The Nord Lead 3 on the other hand, is a much deeper and more interesting synth to me, but probably still overpriced on the 2nd hand market, and if you want the sound of the 2, it won't satisfy.

The Prophet 600 has its deficiencies, but character is not one of them. If you want a different sound you could sell and for a bit more cash you could get a Jupiter 6. Or get a Prophet 08 for a more modern alternative to the 600?