contemplating selling my prophet 600

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Re: contemplating selling my prophet 600

Post by madtheory » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:39 pm

Dangerous asking for opinions, you'll get so many! Bottom line is buy the synth that you enjoy the most, f**k what anyone else thinks.

The 3 has a far better UI that the 2x. There's really not much difference in the sound IMO. I went for the Novation KS rack though- great UI, great sound, 3 oscillators. Very under rated synth, aminly because they've ended up marketing the synth engine in so many budget machines. The P600 is overpriced IMO, I would definitely sell it and put the cash towards a PolyEvolver- there's nothing else like that beast. I'd sell the Virus too, not a fan of the UI and they're overpriced too IMO.

sfxgligli
Gear: SCI Prophet 600 with p600fw
Yamaha RX5 with rx5usb
Korg Mono/Poly
SCI SixTrak
MFB-522
Ibanez UE-405
Fostex Model 80

Post by sfxgligli » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:04 pm

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... 65#p689925 if it can help you to make the right choice... ;)
My music: http://soundcloud.com/gligli
My SCI Prophet 600 firmware upgrade: http://gligli.github.io/p600fw/
My Yamaha RX5 programmable waveform cartridge: http://github.com/gligli/rx5usb

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:56 pm

That is VERY cool. Better envelopes!

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:39 pm

Don't do it! Every Nord I have tried sounded flat and uninspiring. Not tried a Prophet 600 mind so my advice is pretty redundant.

Kenneth
Gear: Nothing I own will make you jealous.
Band: KGB

Post by Kenneth » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:56 pm

Floss wrote:maybe your right. I think Im gonna go for a Nord and another synth... maybe polysix

I own a virus ti too, but I don't like the Raw Oscillator sound, it turns me off to making sounds...So the only complicated synth I own to create sounds is the p600. I was making a sound where one osc was going, and the other had a cool PWM on it with square LFO... then I wanted to put some pitch LFO (sine) on the overall sound, but I couldn't do it. I felt limited. So I thought a nord would be in my price range where I can do some cool stuff like that.

playing with the p600 now, of course it's sounding SO GOOD right now lol :|
As an owner of Korg Polysix, I heartily recommend it. However, you seem to be looking for something with complex modulation capabilities, which the Polysix certainly lacks. It does, however, have a very useable and very good sounding analog effects section, comprised of a chorus, a phaser, and the incredible Ensemble effect, which is amazingly lush and beautiful to listen to. The raw tone of the Polysix oscillators is also very nice as it uses actual VCOs as opposed to the DCOs in other polys of its contemporary. You should keep in mind though, that it has only one osc per voice (6 total) in comparison with the Prophet's 2 per voice. I don not find this to be an issue, personally, because the Polysix does have a sub osc, and the effects section does a lot to liven up the sound.
Comparison is the thief of joy.

Floss

Post by Floss » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:13 pm

Yeah, I decided to keep my P600, I was up late last night, and I was listening to my fav pop tracks, and I could replicate everything... I think im just gonna get a Nord Lead 2 rack and a Polysix.

Romannis1972
Gear: JX8P, SX-240, iPad running NanoStudio, Z3TA, Modular, Thor, Alchemy, iMS20, Audulus, Caustic, Xynthesizr
Band: Romannis Mötte

Post by Romannis1972 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:29 pm

I'm still feeling like the Nord may not be what you're looking for. It is very sterile. I have had both the 2 and the 2x and sold both within 3 months of owning them. Very harsh and gritty synths.

The PolySix is an awesome bit of kit, but it is limited. I'd say go for that one for sure!

But, this is just my two cents worth. If you need gritty, the Nord is the way to go other than the Nord 3, which is my personal fave.
Have you thought about looking into a Waldorf Microwave XT or XTK? Talk about modulation capabilities!!!!

Floss

Post by Floss » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:29 pm

My favorite producer uses the nord lead in a way that it makes the track really bite, and makes it wide by panning techniques.... Typically in the chorus! it adds this air... thats why I wanted it... And the sound is so neutral. also when I want to do straight forward sounds that are dry that i think of in my head... what a perfect little synth to do it on! I think ill snag one for real cheap ;)

yeah ive thought of those! never pulled the trigger. I'd love a polysix but id want one with midi, but they are so overpriced and a nightmare service-wise, its so hard to find the right one.

Kenneth
Gear: Nothing I own will make you jealous.
Band: KGB

Post by Kenneth » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:58 pm

Floss wrote:My favorite producer uses the nord lead in a way that it makes the track really bite, and makes it wide by panning techniques.... Typically in the chorus! it adds this air... thats why I wanted it... And the sound is so neutral. also when I want to do straight forward sounds that are dry that i think of in my head... what a perfect little synth to do it on! I think ill snag one for real cheap ;)

yeah ive thought of those! never pulled the trigger. I'd love a polysix but id want one with midi, but they are so overpriced and a nightmare service-wise, its so hard to find the right one.
They aren't too bad(polysix) if you look hard enough and are patient. I snagged mine for $700, recently serviced and with a custom walnut chassis.
Comparison is the thief of joy.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:53 am

Floss wrote:Yeah, I decided to keep my P600, I was up late last night, and I was listening to my fav pop tracks, and I could replicate everything... I think im just gonna get a Nord Lead 2 rack and a Polysix.
I sold my P600...and bought another about a year later. It has its weaknesses but that sound, man...

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:53 am

Looked around youtube for some demos today, and this one totally blew my socks off, it's the Nord lead 3. Programmed in very unusual ways, as is common with this guy. (WC Olo Garb). He is on this forum as Jexus. Kudos to him. Listen through the whole thing, he makes some seriously big and weird sounds.
I have no idea how he does those rythmic sequences. I don't think his demos are multi-tracked, he's just good with using layers and keyboard splits.
Like the weird arp sequence around 3:00 layered with the massive hard sync sound.

He has a Nordlead 2x demo aswell, equally strange.
I'll be looking out for Nordrack3's from now on. There's one in Russian on ebay now for $450..that's very cheap, considering the keyboard version went for $2000 back in 2001.

Floss

Post by Floss » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:47 am

that guy is weird lol

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:06 am

Yup, but he does awesome things with any synth he demos. I remember laughing my a*s off when he went straight to looking for the JUMP preset when he demoed an Alesis Ion.

Romannis1972
Gear: JX8P, SX-240, iPad running NanoStudio, Z3TA, Modular, Thor, Alchemy, iMS20, Audulus, Caustic, Xynthesizr
Band: Romannis Mötte

Post by Romannis1972 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:24 pm

Bitexion wrote:Looked around youtube for some demos today, and this one totally blew my socks off, it's the Nord lead 3. Programmed in very unusual ways, as is common with this guy. (WC Olo Garb). He is on this forum as Jexus. Kudos to him. Listen through the whole thing, he makes some seriously big and weird sounds.
I have no idea how he does those rythmic sequences. I don't think his demos are multi-tracked, he's just good with using layers and keyboard splits.
Like the weird arp sequence around 3:00 layered with the massive hard sync sound.

He has a Nordlead 2x demo aswell, equally strange.
I'll be looking out for Nordrack3's from now on. There's one in Russian on ebay now for $450..that's very cheap, considering the keyboard version went for $2000 back in 2001.
I really liked the Nord3 Rack I had. So much fun I shoulda kept it.... Capabilities were pretty awesome!

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:12 pm

That whole "morph" thing sounds fun, but could be overwhelming too, I suppose. That you can control a whole bunch of parameters with just aftertouch or a single knob. That's what Jexus uses alot. And splits and layering.
The first video (this was 2/2) also has lots of awesome sounds.