Who here is ALL ANALOG?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
dancinggods

Who here is ALL ANALOG?

Post by dancinggods » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:41 pm

does anyone here have a studio set up that is at least 95% analog with pre 1980 gear? This means tape machines, vintage mixer/console, old mono/duo modular synths etc?

kvnvk

Re: Who here is ALL ANALOG?

Post by kvnvk » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:56 pm

I can guarantee without a doubt that I am NOT exclusively analog.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:01 pm

I've been all-digital for a few years now, if that's worth mentioning.
soundcloud.com/vectron

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:05 pm

The nord modular was just too cool to keep an all analog set up, lol Other than that, i have a couple digital effects and pc for recording. Mostly analog though. However that doesnt mean its better or cooler to be all analog. Digital has some pretty sick gear and then there's vsts.

Romannis1972
Gear: JX8P, SX-240, iPad running NanoStudio, Z3TA, Modular, Thor, Alchemy, iMS20, Audulus, Caustic, Xynthesizr
Band: Romannis Mötte

Post by Romannis1972 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:45 pm

Crumar DS-2 = analog
Korg PE1000 = analog
Korg EX-800 = analog
Roland JX8P = analog
Kawai SX240 = analog
Access Virus A = digital
Roland RS-70 = digital
iPad2 = analog ;) :lol:

Fostex D160 multitracker = digital
Soundcraft 400B = analog

Various rackmount effects = analog/digital

Looking at about 65%???

Em Pe Ge
Gear: Akai MPC1000, Moog Slim Phatty, Roland Alpha Juno 1, Animoog (via iRig midi), Ableton Live, Reason.

Post by Em Pe Ge » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:47 pm

I have an analog mono synth (moog slim phatty) and an analog poly synth w/ dco's (roland alpha juno), which all get recorded digitally via presonus fire studio into ableton live.

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Post by c-level » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:17 pm

anyone all analog prob isnt gonna be joshin around on a synth forum. its like saying WHOS AMISH?

dancinggods

Post by dancinggods » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:18 pm

there is little to do with cool with this concept and inquiry, but more so about a certain way of working with sound and aesthetic. i think it's amazing what people can do digitally, but i grew up listening to and collecting records from the 60s and 70s, getting into krautrock and bbc radiophonic workshop. it's easy to recreate those specific tones with the right plugins, soft synths, digital polyphonics etc… but also requires a certain talent skill set.

i also grew up on nintendo NES, rca plugs, coaxial, VHS, and i suppose my brain got wired that way, as far as understanding interfacing. it's a form of time travel, i'm able to project backwards, not only to where my technological understanding began, but also where it is the strongest. i'm drawn also to the industrial design, moving a certain potentiometer to create a certain electronic response.

then of course is the aforementioned sound i grew up with, a certain tone that i hear, the tone of magnets moving particles around to capture sound, never completely predictable.

the 5% digital in my studio is my computer and 8 channel interface for a final mix down, and then to share it online. most of these aesthetics are for my comfortability in creation. i also am set up to dump straight onto cassette and use my duplication machine, but fewer people get to hear my work that way.

other than that the other 95% of my studio is pre 1980.

•sound workship 1280b console from 1978
•eml 101, arp odyssey, moog sonic 6
•maestro phaser, echoplex and other 60s/70s pedals and outboard effects
•teac 3340 four track, tascam 80-8 eight track

i monitor with old pioneer speakers, a marantz amplifier, and 70s pickering headphones.
up until recently i also used 70s ampex tape i would buy deadstock, but i had my machines realigned for modern tape so there is consistency, since i can't always buy the same formula of the old stuff.

until i have reached the limits of what i can do working this way, this is what i know, and i've yet to reach it's boundaries. the way my studio is set up, every single piece of equipment is an instrument. when i try and record straight to the computer, which i attempt from time to time, i don't feel that anymore. the computer has never felt like an instrument to me, only a tool… i guess that's the difference.

i am just curious who else out there works in this manner, using not only vintage gear, but vintage recording equipment as well… only using the computer as the last stop.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:45 pm

Could I hear some recordings through this signal flow?

dancinggods

Post by dancinggods » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:59 pm

Www.dreamworlds.bandcamp.com

Specifically THE CUBE OF SPACE IS ALSO A GOLDEN TRIANGLE...

The other album is mostly one track eml inprovisations straight to computer.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:07 pm

My synthesizers are 100% analog.
I have spent time recording with an all-analog signal path, and I loved it... except that it takes more time than I have.
I record digitally, and I use samples for drums at times.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

dancinggods

Post by dancinggods » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:19 pm

Time is a sacrifice.

I know who you are Marc, you have knowledge far beyond me for sure, and do tons of excellent work for analog electronic music.

This post was to see if there are any contenoraneous people who approach music in the same way I do... There's gotta be, right?

Most are like Marc, where the analog ends when it comes to recording. Like xeno and oaklander, another enviable synth collection way beyond mine, but it seems to end there.

Ps, I won tickets to the last moog fest in an amazing photo caption contest, but as I couldn't leave my wife and twin babies without a car... AND couldn't find a ride, I had to give them away. I was really looking forward to the panels.

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:54 pm

I dont have a studio but all my gear is analog, the two i dont think make a team not to me at least, i look at my memorymoog and say howdy pal.
yamoto773

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:35 am

I do not digital multi-track. In the 90s, I used a Tascam 238 Syncassette. A few years ago, I bought a Tascam MSR-16, but haven't gotten around to set it up in my studio. Once I get my studio set up the way where I can start writing and recording again, I will set up the 238 as an "idea" machine and the MSR-16 for actual recording.

Right now, I run my synths and drum machines into Mackie 32.4 and 1204VLZ mixers and either record live to video camera or to Zoom H4N. When I get the multi-tracks introduced into my studio, they will most likely run into the 32.4.

Synths, I use both. Out of 100 or so synths I own, I currently have set up in a semi-permanent manner: Roland Fantom X6, JD-800, Jupiter 6, Oberheim OB-X, Elka Synthex and PPG Wave 2.2. I need to eliminate one or two of the analog polys from the permanent rig to add in a mono or two.

Drum Machines, both. Currently set up are 808, 909, 707, 727, DMX & Linn Drum. I plan to swap the PCM machines soon with either a MPC-2500 or Fantom XR depending on which one I can learn quicker. I'd like to add my DRM-1mk2 and one of my SDSVs into the drum machine rack once the PCM machines are swapped out with a sampler.

Effects, I mostly use digital: Eventide Space, Strymon Timeline, KP-3 & Kaoss Quad. I've also got a Roland RE-301 & SRE-555 that I'll hook up from time to time.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:10 am

Yah. I gotta say the end is digital even though I too use an analog console to pass all the gear through. Funny this thread should come up because leaning up on a wall behind me are the AMPEX reels from my old demos.

Every so often I think about getting something to play them again just to ---- :o

And then reality sinks in that I don't want to ever go back.
I miss the sonic though, but not the hassle.

But hey, Is tarted out on a four track (tape) recorder.
I remember thinking I was a professional because I could start the beginning of the DAT recording right as the song started and eliminate that long hiss from the 4 track.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com