Who here is ALL ANALOG?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Re: Who here is ALL ANALOG?

Post by tekkentool » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:32 am

Wicked! love little indie projects like this :).

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:02 pm

My studio is (almost) all analog gear except for the recording rig.
All my synths are analog, connected by CV gate. I use midi for locking to tempo so my taurus and my MP201 are on the same page as the drum machine and the x0x. Both my amps are tube beasts.
I , like others, make an exception for digital delays, but I do have a couple analog ones as well. I've also been known to shower quadraverb all over something too.
My recording setup is a blacklion upgraded 828MKII with a Couple summit, UA and Art tube preamps feeding it as well as a Yamaha PM180 that I modified with individual tansformer balanced outs for each channel for an additional 6 channels of inputs.
I use almost no effects in the box except for compression or EQ. I like to get reverb from the room if I can, which makes me miss the cavernous space I had a couple years ago even more!
I'm looking into getting a spring reverb or two to address this.

I kinda get where the OP is coming from. I do own plenty of modern gear, but most of my stuff is early 80's or older. Pieces like the Taurus III that I own are more because the real 80's version of the Taurus is both hard to come buy, expensive, and usually in poor repair. Ditto for the X0x!

And yes, when I have the money I will be going back to analog tape.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Deuterostome
Gear: Korg Poly800
Korg Volca Beats
Korg Volca Keys
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
ProCo Rat
ZVEX Lo-Fi Junky

Post by Deuterostome » Fri May 17, 2013 12:27 pm

I am - I prefer it.

Moog Minitaur
Korg Monotribe
Flower Electronics Jealous Heart
2x Panasonic RQ-355 cassette players with 30sec answering machine loop tapes

Into

Tascam 414mkii with a spring reverb unit and MXR Carbon Copy Delay on the aux sends

Into

ZVEX Instant Lo-Fi Junky

Into

Marantz PMD201 field recorder

Into Macbook Pro recording with Audacity for simple trimming/amplification/tick-pop correction.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri May 17, 2013 1:27 pm

The amount of cyborgs here is close to zero I'd imagine. We're all analog bags of bones and blood, held together by a flimsy skin.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.

Post by calaverasgrande » Fri May 17, 2013 3:34 pm

Bitexion wrote:The amount of cyborgs here is close to zero I'd imagine. We're all analog bags of bones and blood, held together by a flimsy skin.
I think "ugly bags of mostly water" was the best description ever.
You can thank Trek for that.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

themilford
Gear: Oberheim SYSTEM: OB8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Moog Taurus 3, Fender Bass IV LH (CS), Rickenbacker 620/6 (LH), Crumar Trilogy needing major repair.
Band: Season Finale

Post by themilford » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:10 am

themilford wrote:Aside from a few digital delays... and if you consider syncing or midi recording to be "digital"... I'm 100% analog in terms of signal.

Mainly because it's more enjoyable and I already spend too much time on my computer... and because it's a quicker more efficient process for me.
Ok... dialing in the analog system a little further:

Vestax MR-6 six-track cassette recorder
Teac A-3300 2T half-track master recorder
Oberheim OB-8
Moog Taurus 3
Minimood Model D

Aside from an Ibanez DL10 and a DX drum machine all signal path is analog.

Midi/FSK syncing/sequencing shouldn't count against my analog dreams!

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Post by Sir Nose » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:16 am

Bitexion wrote:The amount of cyborgs here is close to zero I'd imagine. We're all analog bags of bones and blood, held together by a flimsy skin.
But my sensors sample reality periodically and use interpolation to fill in the gaps.
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by calaverasgrande » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:08 pm

themilford wrote:
themilford wrote:...Midi/FSK syncing/sequencing shouldn't count against my analog dreams!
haha, I tried being 100% analog but caved when I realized I could use midi to sync the arpegiator of my Taurus III to the X0xbox.
But at least the master clock that the X0X follows is an analog sync pulse from an all analog drum machine!

On a side note my X0X fizzled last night (yeah Technology Transplant :oops:)
So I may end up buying one of them Analog 4's.
Or just re-up and get the Mode Machines X0X?