Traditional Analog sounds for SY77 SY99

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
arcturus

Traditional Analog sounds for SY77 SY99

Post by arcturus » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:02 am

Hi Guys.

Just want to know if there are any other Yamaha sy77 and sy99 users out there as Im thinking of getting one and need advice. Ive owned dx7s in the past, roland JX, polysix, juno 60 etc.... but i really want a synth that can do new sounds and has a sampler and also can replicate old analog sounds okay. Im obviously not looking for perfect replication as i know that cant really be achieved.

So..........with the SY77 and SY99 series the pianos and newer 90's patches sound amazing to me from what ive heard on the demos, but....what are the dx7 patch sounds like? do they sound exactly like they would on a dx7? as i really want it to have those classic dx7 bass and electric piano patches.

and can you also replicate jupiter and juno analog sounds to an okay standard? im after juno bass and strings sounds. Can they be achieved on these synths with a bit of patch tweaking? If not to perfect quality can they sound close? Im on a limited budget to buy. My next choice was to buy a super JX synth again like i had in the past, except theyre not good for piano patches.

I really want to be able to create depeche mode, early madonna, scritti politti, human league, eurythmics, type sounds on it. They dont have to be perfect but close, If anyone can give info or suggest an alternative in similar price range that would be great.

In short can you create those classic analog sounds on one of these yamaha synths?

Thanks!

arcturus

Re: Traditional Analog sounds for SY77 SY99

Post by arcturus » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:02 am

oops meant to say sequencer! my bad :)

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Post by blavatsky » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:15 am

hi, check this thread out (not mine but good info)
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electron ... -like.html

arcturus

Post by arcturus » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:37 am

thanks! that gave me tons of insight.

if anyone who owns one of these yamahas can tell me what there experience was with creating juno and jupiter sounds on these that would be great.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:41 am

Isn't that sort of like trying to force square wood pieces through round holes? It works in the end, but it takes alot more work than just putting them through the square hole.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:16 am

I owned the SY99 during 8 years, sold it after most of the buttons died due to overuse and getting the EX-5.

It can produce great vintage FM type sounds, nice basses and a lot of cold and also lovely pop leads.
This synth is a pain in the a*s to program and requires a devoted programmer. Is a very cool sound engine, fitted in the body of a strict rigid Yamaha workstation. Navigate lots of screens/menus over a complex FM engine using arrow buttons and cursor.

If you take a closer look to the Yamaha EX5, it has almost the same interface of the SY99, but with knobs under the screen.

The sampling function you mentioned, is barely a feature. 0.5 Mb. I think you can "expand" it to 2Mb or similar. You can load the samples Oh yeah.... aja.... give that!, dance, get up! and the memory will be full.

You´ve used synths that can create sounds similar to the music you mentioned. Give a try to modern VAs.
Lots of them can produce the sounds you´re looking for, with 25% the time you would invest doing it in a SY99.

....Or buy a OBX :ugeek:
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:14 am

Short answer: Yes.

Just requires good programming.

Italo_DX

Post by Italo_DX » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:52 pm

I've owned plenty of digital synths and the only one that sounded more "analog" than the SY77 was the Ensoniq SQ-80. With good programming the SY77 can be very convincing.
Yamaha SY77
Casio CZ-3000
Casio SA-5
BOSS DR-220E
Previously owned: Yamaha DX21, Roland JX-3P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Roland D-50

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:48 pm

BTW, see this post for an mp3 of some analog sounds I was working on before getting sidetracked.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... 30#p549152

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:11 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot that the SY synths has lowpass filters, unlike the DX synths that rely on FM techniques to emulate filtered sound (by increasing or reducing the FM bias level, pretty much the "FM amount" control on most synths, you change the harmonic content of the sound and can get pretty close to a sawtooth and square waveform).

They also have more than just sine waveforms, like the DX synths have, right?

Virgule

Post by Virgule » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:23 pm

There are 16 waveforms for FM to choose from.

Some additional specs:

FILTER AWM/ AFM two independent digital resonant -12 dB/octave filter: FILTER 1 is only Low Pass, FILTER 2 Low pass OR High Pass, cascade mode for a -24/dB Serial or Parallel mode.

ENVELOPE AWM ha four EGs : one for Amplitude split into Attack and Hold part , each with five segments of control; the second EG is dedicated to Pitch with same amount of segments. The two last ones are for FILTER1 and FILTER2 with seven segments each .
AFM has a EG for each OP all with seven segments, another for Pitch (with octave range selection) and two others for Filters 1-2 control (same specs as AWM EG).

FX two DSP high quality direct from SPX-900 engine with serial or parallel mode, 63 effects including Reverb, Delay, Distortion, Rotary, Ring modulator, Aphex enhancer (licensed from guess it.. APHEX). Each are fully editable and assignable to LFO modulation.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:38 pm

The SY-77 is a great synth. It won't sound exactly like anything, but has a very wide pallette and lots of modulation to help get you there.

I A/B/C'd my 77 with a DX-7s and TX-7, and none sounded alike. You can get software to convert DX patches into SY77 format, but it's not totally accurate. Paramaters differ, both in terms of what they are and how far they go. If you want old-school DX presets, you can pick up a TX7 for stupidly cheap and load them onto that, and those can be programmed via sysex patch dump.

The TX/original DX sound a touch rougher than the later DX (eg, the 7s) due to lower bit DAC, and the 77 has a wide sheen in comparison with plenty of detail and clarity.

Personally I found the 77 too much to get to grips with and sold it. I prefer simpler things these days, and even the DX7 by comparison is a simple machine once you get used to FM.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:04 am

The problem most have with pure FM is that it's like trying to learn how to fly an alien space ship.

Virgule

Post by Virgule » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:15 am

I too sold my SY77 a while ago. I had 5 sets of data/wave cards and had just bought the Blue display though I'm definately gassing to get one again.

There are some quirks but it's a rewarding and complete synthesizer with a (not) surprisingly full sound.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:24 am

IT's an amazing synth! will make sounds no other synth does (not even DX7)

I also owned all the synths you listed too and found a place for the SY among them, I wouldn't just have an SY though! you could do with some real analog - a Polysix makes a great companion with it's super warm old school 'real' analog sounds.

I posted an A/B of my DX7s <> SY77 custom patches (Simple DX7s unison type sounds) and got it 99% close, link is in the above link to gearslutz forums. However the SY/TG77 can do so much more it's not fair to limit it that way.

You will NOT get proper sounding 'shiny' juno style analog sounds, or jupiter, but you can get an FM aproximation which in itself can be just as if not more interesting, but don't think it'll sound properly analog. In a mix it can mimic analog great though and it sounded better than my AN1x in many analog tasks (so I sold the AN1x)

Both rack and keyboard sound the same so either is good. I have both.

JD-800 has a MUCH more analog-esque filter though. The SY will do analog mimic sounds until you need real fast squealy filter stuff - for that the JD-800 sounds better than a lot of VAs out there too.

SY is overal more flexible but obviously nowhere near as easy to program as the JD-800 (My favourite digital synth) but it has a real classy sound and mixes great with other sounds in a mix (the SY).