Sonic State King Korg review

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Sonic State King Korg review

Post by madmarkmagee » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:10 pm

Quite impressed...

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Sonic State King Korg review

Post by Hugo76 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:06 pm

Wow, looks awesome

sammy123
Gear: Sk50D, MS2kr, DarkStar, Shruthi (3), Anushri, Meeblip, Ambika, 12U Eurorack, PreenFM, Poly61, DSS-1, DW-8k, Kawai K-3, ESQ-1, Maybe a Polaris soon...

Post by sammy123 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:45 pm

Sounds nice. That CV menu is a pretty cool feature.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:15 pm

Sonicstate reviews are major GAS creators usually. Specially with the bald british guy.

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:48 pm

Ho to the hum. Another VA. 98% of this can be done and sound the same on a Microkorg/MS2000 which I'm fine with as I love the Microkorg. It almost seems like it's going after the Solaris a little bit but would much rather have a Solaris which of course does much more.
Last edited by plikestechno on Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:51 pm

As if! You crazy bumhat.

plikestechno

Post by plikestechno » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:53 pm

What's different? Other than a tube? Wooo. You tell me. Have you ever sat at and programmed a Microkorg or MS2000? Some of the best VAs and synths of all time. I'm fine with the sound but it's nothing really new. If you want to throw a bunch of money at it have fun.

Something like the Prophet 12 is much more exciting.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:05 am

plikestechno wrote:Have you ever sat at and programmed a Microkorg or MS2000?
Yep.

And no, I would never drop money for this. Not my kind of thing. But it did sound good. It's an improved engine with more features like the modelled filters. The radias is a more advanced engine than the microkorg but they don't sound anything alike and you'd struggle to get them to.

plikestechno

Post by plikestechno » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:10 am

For what I'd use it for and 99% of people would use it for the Microkorg would be just fine.
Last edited by plikestechno on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:16 am

I'd agree with that though.

nvining
Gear: CS80, Chroma, Synclavier, DK Synergy II+, Matrix 12, Memorymoog+, CS20m, Clavinet, AlphaSyntauri, Korg Micropreset, Lexicon 480L, Otari RADAR

Post by nvining » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:21 am

I'm entertained by the initial demo at 01:00, which (to my ears) sounds very reminiscent of Deadmau5's "Strobe". The filter demo at 09:00 also has an EDM flavor to it, so I suppose they want some of that market. Or maybe this is more a commentary on EDM and Deadmau5.

The MG filter sounds quite good, too, in kind of a Flashlight/One Nation Under a Groove sort of a thing. It'd be a good keyboard for gigging.
"We have to remember that Moogs, ARPs and all of the first synths had been created by raging madmen." - Jean-Michael Jarre

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:37 am

sammy123 wrote:Sounds nice. That CV menu is a pretty cool feature.
Yeah. That's really cool. Is there another synth anywhere with that feature? It can do the weird MS-20 (and I think also Yammie CS series) CV or Monotribe or Custom...all coming out of a computer. Is there any other VA on the market that can integrate into analog gear like that?
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:37 am

sammy123 wrote:Sounds nice. That CV menu is a pretty cool feature.
Yeah. That's really cool. Is there another synth anywhere with that feature? It can do the weird MS-20 (and I think also Yammie CS series) CV or Monotribe or Custom...all coming out of a computer. Is there any other VA on the market that can integrate into analog gear like that?
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:59 am

This will be good for my rihanna cover band.

madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:53 am

What I personally like about it is that it appears to do decent PCM sounds as well. I'll assume you can mix them in with the VA oscillators which is cool. If the PCM's are decent this also means that this doubles both as a VA and a romper for piano etc. It's a one stop shop. And it's very cheap for all the stuff it does. (cue someone saying software is cheaper :o)

Being a keyboardist, I wish this thing was around years ago when I was looking for a keyboard that wasn't my mothers piano.

The VA oscillators and the different filters are cool too.

The interface looks alright, but it looks like it could be a bit tedious at times.