Sonic State King Korg review

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Re: Sonic State King Korg review

Post by Walter Ego » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:04 am

Kenneth wrote:
Hybrid88 wrote:haha fair enough fella's - just not a fan of Oberheim and major chords :D
not......a fan..... of........... OBERHEIM..........wha.....wha..why.... HOW........ WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH YOU?????????? :o
Yeah, why bother with it? You want warm OB sounding patches, just use SymSynth. Just as good. Some might say better. And way cheaper. :wink2:
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Kenneth
Gear: Nothing I own will make you jealous.
Band: KGB

Post by Kenneth » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:33 am

Walter Ego wrote:
Kenneth wrote:
Hybrid88 wrote:haha fair enough fella's - just not a fan of Oberheim and major chords :D
not......a fan..... of........... OBERHEIM..........wha.....wha..why.... HOW........ WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH YOU?????????? :o
Yeah, why bother with it? You want warm OB sounding patches, just use SymSynth. Just as good. Some might say better. And way cheaper. :wink2:
Sim Synth is... interesting. I don't think it sounds like OB synths, really at all. It has its own character, which can be useful, but I have a really difficult time getting it to stand out in a mix (and I have been fiddling with it for over five years, so if you've got some inside info on how to make it "tick" then let me know). Somehow always ends up sounding murky. Anyway, the TVS is like the dream car I will never own. Oberheim has this sort of magic in its synths that I find a bit mysterious. Particularly any of the SEM-based ones... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNQfzF2L ... height=360 Listen to this and tell me you can recreate this with Sim Synth. Not going to happen, because of the intese amount of knob-twekage that goes into programming a patch on the 8 voice. There's no way you could get that kind of subtlety with any software synth. Okay, now I'm ranting... Sorry... :oops:
Comparison is the thief of joy.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:22 am

Kenneth wrote:I have a really difficult time getting it to stand out in a mix (and I have been fiddling with it for over five years, so if you've got some inside info on how to make it "tick" then let me know)

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:05 pm

Kenneth wrote:
haha :lol:

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.

Post by Walter Ego » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:12 pm

tekkentool wrote:
Kenneth wrote:I have a really difficult time getting it to stand out in a mix (and I have been fiddling with it for over five years, so if you've got some inside info on how to make it "tick" then let me know)

I was more saying that in the sarcastic way that the VSE review for the Poly-800 used to say it was better than a Juno-106. Of course SymSynth is a pale imitation (maybe not even of an Oberheim). Back when I was using FL, I did use the SymSynth for some staple sounds...but then Propellerheads developed some VSTi's with more character.

I'm not into the VA/A battle though...I used FL for years knowing nothing but sonic intuition and made some decent sounding tracks that fooled analog gearheads--they were very curious about what I was using, and some of them stopped talking to me after they found out I was using FL. Learned a hard lesson there...don't tell people what you're using! There's more than sounds to making music...there's the MUSIC part also (and the mixing).
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:07 pm

Walter Ego wrote: made some decent sounding tracks that fooled analog gearheads--they were very curious about what I was using, and some of them stopped talking to me after they found out I was using FL. Learned a hard lesson there...don't tell people what you're using! There's more than sounds to making music...there's the MUSIC part also (and the mixing).
The ones that stopped talking to you sound like epic dopes... :?

Walter Ego

Post by Walter Ego » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:46 pm

madmarkmagee wrote:
Walter Ego wrote: made some decent sounding tracks that fooled analog gearheads--they were very curious about what I was using, and some of them stopped talking to me after they found out I was using FL. Learned a hard lesson there...don't tell people what you're using! There's more than sounds to making music...there's the MUSIC part also (and the mixing).
The ones that stopped talking to you sound like epic dopes... :?
Yeah, I think you can get into that purist mindset and start completely avoiding anything that isn't up to your standards. But then you don't actually know what that gear sounds like. ("You" in the casual sense here).

I sometimes do miss how easy FL was to use...
Walter Ego

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:38 pm

Meh.
If you are gonna do a VA and call it "King" it should probably have a better buttons to functions ratio.
Menu diving is the biggest buzz kill.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:54 am

calaverasgrande wrote: Menu diving is the biggest buzz kill.
pretty sure that honor goes to the police

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:04 pm

moremagic wrote:
calaverasgrande wrote: Menu diving is the biggest buzz kill.
pretty sure that honor goes to the police
okay okay, in all fairness, the biggest buzz kill is Hitler.

In the realm of Honda Civics, head gasket failure is the biggest buzz kill.

But in the realm of playing music on synthesizers, menu diving is the biggest buzz kill.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:46 am

calaverasgrande wrote:Meh.
If you are gonna do a VA and call it "King" it should probably have a better buttons to functions ratio.
Menu diving is the biggest buzz kill.

needs more flexible effects routing, too

Synthmatic

Post by Synthmatic » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:42 pm

I downloaded the manual and parameter guide and noticed that, unlike the Radias and MS2000, all the oscillators have DWGS and PCM waves. It would have been nice if they just took the Radias and put in the King Korg's oscillators and modeled filters.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:38 pm

Synthmatic wrote:I downloaded the manual and parameter guide and noticed that, unlike the Radias and MS2000, all the oscillators have DWGS and PCM waves. It would have been nice if they just took the Radias and put in the King Korg's oscillators and modeled filters.
Or put in some new wavetables.

Ones you can actually sweep. Kids like me love the daube steppe these days and whatnot. Just look at the ultranova demos! :|

Though I guess this is not the point of such a synthesizer it's clearly leaned toward performance.

madmarkmagee
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:46 pm

Synthmatic wrote:I downloaded the manual and parameter guide and noticed that, unlike the Radias and MS2000, all the oscillators have DWGS and PCM waves.

Seriously though both the Radias and MS 2000 had Dwgs. I think it's really good that it has pcm's. I don't understand what your complaining about. Saw waves can become quite boring.
Last edited by madmarkmagee on Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

madmarkmagee
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:59 pm

Also, the King Korg does have analogue modeled waveforms as well as PCM's...