thoughts on the rocket vs monotribe

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
KBD_TRACKER

thoughts on the rocket vs monotribe

Post by KBD_TRACKER » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:44 am

both machines have been the subject of extensive postings, but (as far as i can tell) no comparison of the two has been discussed.
before going further i realize these 2 machines are different in their capabilities and possibly their own market.
however it is clear to me that the waldorf rocket's shape factor and even hardware (switches etc.) invites comparison with the monotribe.

i own a monotribe, and tried the rocket.
much has been written to criticize the monotribe "rough spots" (for example the ribbon interfacing and its lack of MIDI), but in spite of the rocket analog filter, i was really struck by the VA-like ("blofeldy" ?) quality of the rocket sound compared with the more "organic" rounded quality of the monotribe sound.

taking into account that the rocket has far more digital interfacing capacities (USB, MIDI, etc.) than the monotribe and includes 8 digital oscillators, to me it seems that the waldorf rocket with it's licked design can't help but seem a rather generic digital derivative of the monotribe.

is this move by waldorf good or just somehow a bit opportunitistic (sorry for this strong word) by a company that never really showed much love for the analog world ?

still, the introduction of the rocket is to me an interesting evolution and expansion of the "little synth boxes" market. let us hope for more offerings ...

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: thoughts on the rocket vs monotribe

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:37 pm

KBD_TRACKER wrote:is this move by waldorf good or just somehow a bit opportunitistic (sorry for this strong word) by a company that never really showed much love for the analog world ?
Sorry, but this just seems silly. Companies exist to make money, hence they're going to take those opportunities.

Similar in form? Yep. Similar in function? No (Monotribe is a stand-alone unit; Rocket in an expansion unit).

I honestly don't see much cross-over between the two at all. I guess when I sit down with them both side-by-side (and I will now that you've brought it up), I'll see if there actually is. I'm doubting it, though.

For little money, you can get them both, plus do the midi retrofit on the MT and have a pretty damn cool setup, I'd say.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:52 am

KBD_TRACKER wrote: a company that never really showed much love for the analog world ?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:41 am

it is clear to me that the waldorf rocket's shape factor and even hardware (switches etc.) invites comparison with the monotribe.

I should have steered clear of this one...

From what I understand about the lead up to time (R&D) and all the assembling of facilities, it would seem any synth dropping (now) would have to been started long before the monotribes announcement or release. If anything, I could see the DSI MOPHO taking all the credit for the recent rash of "little-synth-boxes".

I don't remember what was around before that....
I don't know, maybe that Gakken piece excited everyone for a while.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

mute

Post by mute » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:11 pm

griffin avid wrote:it is clear to me that the waldorf rocket's shape factor and even hardware (switches etc.) invites comparison with the monotribe.

I should have steered clear of this one...

From what I understand about the lead up to time (R&D) and all the assembling of facilities, it would seem any synth dropping (now) would have to been started long before the monotribes announcement or release. If anything, I could see the DSI MOPHO taking all the credit for the recent rash of "little-synth-boxes".

I don't remember what was around before that....
I don't know, maybe that Gakken piece excited everyone for a while.
I would say the popularity of the MS2000, microkorgs, the later the DS-10 and then even later the iStore apps, had a good part to do with the renewed interest by Korg, alongside the boutique market which has been doing well for awhile.

As far as monotribe/rocket.. that topic seems like apples/oranges to me. Both round, both fruit, but similarities stop there.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:02 am

I love these threads where people say that a certain analogue synth 'sounds like a VA'. I think perhaps VAs might sound closer to real analogue synths to your ears than you'd like to admit. ;)

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:45 am

The MS2000 I don't really get, but the microkorg obviously led to everyone and their momma making a mini or 25,37,49 key small synth. A straight box with knobs on it is a different animal.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:16 am

Having owned the Monotribe, and having watched a couple of videos of the Rocket, I don't think there's much comparison. The Korg has a rudimentary sequencer and drum machine; the Rocket doesn't. The Monotribe was clearly meant to be a stand-alone "groove box" type of thing.

The Rocket, it seems to me, is a more "serious" synthesizer in that can actually be played using a controller, something that couldn't be done with an unmodified Monotribe. For that reason, and the fact that the Rocket's street price is about twice that of the Monotribe, it's pretty hard to compare the two.

Having said all of that, the Rocket looks pretty tasty to me. I may have to get one. :twisted:

xanadu97
Gear: DIY Modular
Monotron

Post by xanadu97 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:43 am

I'd rather have a Monotribe with MIDI than a Rocket. The Monotribe is almost an MS-10 with a sequencer.

Jaytee

Post by Jaytee » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:46 am

Aaron2 wrote:The Rocket, it seems to me, is a more "serious" synthesizer in that can actually be played using a controller, something that couldn't be done with an unmodified Monotribe. For that reason ... it's pretty hard to compare the two.
True until a few weeks ago, when the Monotribe got native cv/gate control. Granted, you still need a special cable, so it's not out-of-the-box ready for remote control, but it's still a big leap from opening the case and voiding your warranty.

That all said, I also don't much get the comparison, except that they just look kind of the same. I have to admit, monotribe was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the rocket, then I saw the feature list and price.

xanadu97
Gear: DIY Modular
Monotron

Post by xanadu97 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:39 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:I love these threads where people say that a certain analogue synth 'sounds like a VA'. I think perhaps VAs might sound closer to real analogue synths to your ears than you'd like to admit. ;)
The Rocket has digital oscillators. An analog filter and VCA doesn't make it sound "more analog", so it should sound digital.

I'd be more interested if it had 2 VCOs instead of 8 digital oscillators.

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:00 pm

kinda like comparing apples and imported mongolian cutlery

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:19 pm

xanadu97 wrote: An analog filter and VCA doesn't make it sound "more analog", so it should sound digital.

ALRIGHT BATTLE OF THE CENTURY.

What's more analogue?

A: Analogue VCO, Digital filter.
B: Digital OSC : VCF.

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:30 pm

Jaytee wrote:
Aaron2 wrote:The Rocket, it seems to me, is a more "serious" synthesizer in that can actually be played using a controller, something that couldn't be done with an unmodified Monotribe. For that reason ... it's pretty hard to compare the two.
True until a few weeks ago, when the Monotribe got native cv/gate control. Granted, you still need a special cable, so it's not out-of-the-box ready for remote control, but it's still a big leap from opening the case and voiding your warranty.
I didn't know the MT "got native cv/gate control." How did it suddenly "get" CV/gate control? Is it a firmware upgrade or something?

EDIT: OK, I just read an article about it. Now, how do you get the cable you need without DIY'ing it? It would be interesting to control the MT with your Minibrute, which has CV/gate outputs. That would require a cable with two 1/8" mono jacks on one end, and then the four-pole 1/8" jack on the other.
Last edited by Aaron2 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Pro One, DX, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:35 pm

Who gives a flying f**k if it sounds "digital"??

Does it sound good?
soundcloud.com/vectron