Proof that Roland are indeed insane.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
volumetrik

Re: Proof that Roland are indeed insane.

Post by volumetrik » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:33 am

balma wrote:Having somebody (including a synth label) to throw tomatoes seems to be addictive and fun for most of people.

Roland sells their new synths very well.
Even in my 3rd world country, the last Roland models are being used in several music genres. Their owners does not dig into deep programming or sound design. They want something friendly with PCs, lots of standard sounds to choose from, easy to access/load, automated sequencing. Etc.

I was playing around with the new Jupiter on the local dealer last week, the salesmen said they´ve sold several units, and their price here is around $2300.
The salesman was pretty confident when he said it sounds exactly the same to the old Jupiter 8.

Why somebody will get a vintage Jupiter, risking money on a old synth, paying insurances for the S & H, dealing with "old" technologies?

Other kind of synths are harder to find. Deales bring here what they can sell. New Roland sells very well.
Efficient distribution all over the world, with a good presentation.

Roland is not crazy, they are just into the musical instrument business and othe stuff
And maybe they ask to themselves: what´s wrong with synth freaks today ???
Well you can have your opinion on the topic, but there's a lot of people out there want knobby analog gear, the problem is vintage stuff is overpriced and unreliable. Many feel that Roland could at least make one decent analog synth like a mini SH-5 like Korg did the MS-20 or an inexpensive poly synth. This would extend the life of such instruments, Roland could challenge mini brute, minitaur or ms-20 and make something nice, but it seems like they are ignoring the market, especially when they have such a legacy of analog gear behind them.

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:37 am

I should add that Roland does do some things that are head scratching. They recently introduced some stand alone effects boxes to use with the GK guitar synth hex pickup. It seems to be an attempt to get people to buy GK pickups who aren't willing to buy a guitar synth. But each unit is 300 bucks, and if you don't already have a GK pickup or GK equipped guitar it's another 200+ bucks for that. That seems like a hard sell, when 500 bucks will buy you something like the Line 6 M13 or Roland's own Boss GT10, which will do a lot more things and will integrate with your existing guitar setup much easier. Not to mention that Roland's previous attempt to do that, when they first introduced the Boss Twin Pedal effects pedal line back around 2000, was a flop. The GR-D and GR-S will likely meet the same fate as the OC20 and WG20 did, blown out when they don't sell.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:45 am

What REALLY is insane, is that many synth freaks don't own a V-Synth. And because of this, we probably won't see another version of it. That saddens me deeply

Kenneth
Gear: Nothing I own will make you jealous.
Band: KGB

Post by Kenneth » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:17 am

It's because of keyboards like the V-Synth and this new Roland V0908-HQRS7 that people have started saying crazy, ignorant things like "synthesizers aren't real instruments". Because, well to be honest: any instrument that imitates another is "fake". So, let's try not to get too wrapped up in a keyboard that sounds like a cello. If you want to have cello in your recording, why not make use of one of the beautifully talented cellists that inhabit this world? After all, music was meant to be a social practice. It's more fun when the experience is shared. :)
Comparison is the thief of joy.

xanadu97
Gear: DIY Modular
Monotron

Post by xanadu97 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:41 am

rhino wrote:Much rather see "Ensoniq is Back!"
Even better: "ARP is back!"

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:14 am

xanadu97 wrote:
rhino wrote:Much rather see "Ensoniq is Back!"
Even better: "ARP is back!"
Fun Fact: Moog Music, Inc. owns the rights to the trademark "ARP". Wonder if they will ever do anything with it?

madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:30 am

Kenneth wrote:It's because of keyboards like the V-Synth and this new Roland V0908-HQRS7 that people have started saying crazy, ignorant things like "synthesizers aren't real instruments". Because, well to be honest: any instrument that imitates another is "fake". So, let's try not to get too wrapped up in a keyboard that sounds like a cello. If you want to have cello in your recording, why not make use of one of the beautifully talented cellists that inhabit this world? After all, music was meant to be a social practice. It's more fun when the experience is shared. :)
People, especially "rockists", have been saying that since Gary Numan... Like to point out to all those guitarists with superiority complexes that an electric guitar isn't exactly an acoustic instrument either...

Yea, what if you don't Know any celloists, and don't have any money to hire one? What if you need a quartet, or an orchestra? How much money is that going to cost? :lol:

Reckon just about 99 percent of people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a real cello And the one on the Jupiter 80 if they heard it on recording....

ravenmek

Post by ravenmek » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:22 am

Kenneth, the V synth sucks for imitating instruments, as it doesn't allow multisamples. It is great for weird, digital synth sounds, athmospheres, pads, weird sequences... Did you ever used one?

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:09 pm

ravenmek wrote:Kenneth, the V synth sucks for imitating instruments, as it doesn't allow multisamples. It is great for weird, digital synth sounds, athmospheres, pads, weird sequences... Did you ever used one?
No, I have not. I saw some demos on YouTube and was put off by the excessive sampling engine on the synth. I suppose I should not judge before I try. :oops:

ravenmek

Post by ravenmek » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:07 pm

Yes, it does have an excessive sampling engine, but most of the preset samples are field recordings, loops, drum sounds and noises. And as it cannot do multisampling, and the time stretch is not magical, you can do really interesting things. I sold a K2000 because I was put off by the fact that it was a workstation, with an emphasis in imitating things. I know that you can do lots of weird stuff with it, but I couldn't love it.

xanadu97
Gear: DIY Modular
Monotron

Post by xanadu97 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:36 pm

Kenneth wrote:It's because of keyboards like the V-Synth and this new Roland V0908-HQRS7 that people have started saying crazy, ignorant things like "synthesizers aren't real instruments".
I thought that was because of dubstep

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:04 pm

xanadu97 wrote:
Kenneth wrote:It's because of keyboards like the V-Synth and this new Roland V0908-HQRS7 that people have started saying crazy, ignorant things like "synthesizers aren't real instruments".
I thought that was because of dubstep
Oh yeah... Are synthesizers even used in dubstep? I always thought they were just using processed vocal samples of some crack head going "wub wub wub wub..."

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:10 am

Kenneth wrote: No, I have not. I saw some demos on YouTube and was put off by the excessive sampling engine on the synth. I suppose I should not judge before I try. :oops:
WAIT. You mean this post wasn't a joke? :?
Kenneth wrote:It's because of keyboards like the V-Synth and this new Roland V0908-HQRS7 that people have started saying crazy, ignorant things like "synthesizers aren't real instruments". Because, well to be honest: any instrument that imitates another is "fake". So, let's try not to get too wrapped up in a keyboard that sounds like a cello. If you want to have cello in your recording, why not make use of one of the beautifully talented cellists that inhabit this world? After all, music was meant to be a social practice. It's more fun when the experience is shared. :)
I actually legitimately thought this was satire because nobody would actually believe that right?

xanadu97 wrote: I thought that was because of dubstep
Kenneth wrote: Oh yeah... Are synthesizers even used in dubstep? I always thought they were just using processed vocal samples of some crack head going "wub wub wub wub..."

OH MY. Bashing dubstep, now we've hit MAXIMUM j**k. Now can somebody just somehow make this a digital vs analogue thread and bring up whether DCO's or VCO's are phatter so we can create some sort of black portal and summon Mr. Rich out from the ether?

P.S you do use synths in dubstep it's just tricky to program.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:50 am

"Are analog Roland LFOs cooler than digital Roland LFOs" GO

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:31 am

Yes. / thread.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...