Proof that Roland are indeed insane.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Re: Proof that Roland are indeed insane.

Post by tekkentool » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:27 am

Mr. Miki joined Roland Corporation in 1977 and began his dynamic career working in the production department of the tape echo and the rhythm machine facility in Osaka. During his lengthy tenure as a Roland engineer, Miki was deeply involved in developing many legendary Roland products...

...such as the HP-2700 and FP-8 Digital Pianos, JV and XP series Synthesizers, SRX series Expansion Boards, C-30 Digital Harpsichord, and most recently the VR-09 V-Combo.

Got me all excited for a moment there roland.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:48 am

Hahaha, excellent! :-D

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:14 pm

ROLAND ANNOUNCES NEW PRESIDENT MR. JUN-ICHI MIKI
Los Angeles, CA, March 29, 2013 — Roland Corporation Japan announced today that Mr. Jun-ichi Miki will assume the role of president effective April 1, 2013.

Mr. Miki joined Roland Corporation in 1977 and began his dynamic career working in the production department of the tape echo and the rhythm machine facility in Osaka. During his lengthy tenure as a Roland engineer, Miki was deeply involved in developing many legendary Roland products such as the HP-2700 and FP-8 Digital Pianos, JV and XP series Synthesizers, SRX series Expansion Boards, C-30 Digital Harpsichord, and most recently the VR-09 V-Combo.

In 1994, after spending many years developing and engineering for Roland, Miki joined the Roland Corporation Board of Directors. Since then, Miki has supported and led numerous technical and product-development teams, including those responsible for overseas production facilities.

Leading the way forward, Miki’s rich R&D background and strong commitment to the market will help Roland continue to develop innovative new products while anticipating customer demands. With a firm understanding of the core philosophy of Roland, Miki will be leading the company into an exciting new phase while paying respect to the Roland tradition.

Mr. Miki said, “The Roland group of international sales and manufacturing companies is firmly tied to a fundamental philosophy. The entire Roland family strives to listen to the voices from the market and to inspire the enjoyment of creativity through the development of exciting new products and applications. Our goal is to be evermore valuable and inspiring to customers, the industry and society while staying true to Roland’s fundamental slogan, ‘We design the future.’”

Mr. Hidekazu Tanaka, Roland Corporation’s current president and CEO, will be supporting a strong and successful transition as a corporate advisor beginning April 1. During Mr. Tanaka’s eight-year presidential term, he accomplished many groundbreaking product introductions, such as the V-Piano Grand, and many remarkable marketing and sales solutions, such as the Shop-in-Shop concept. Mr. Tanaka’s passing of the torch is a continuation of Roland’s fundamental philosophy, showing a clear commitment to Roland’s future and to Mr. Miki’s leadership during the rebuilding process.

-----------------------------
Oh, this could get real interesting. When you put an engineer in charge, you usually get some far out goodies along with some complex interfaces (menu diving and alternative layouts) with some quirky abilities no one anticipated.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:09 pm

A couple of phrases stand out to me there;

"Miki will be leading the company into an exciting new phase while paying respect to the Roland tradition..."

and...

"...showing a clear commitment to Roland’s future and to Mr. Miki’s leadership during the rebuilding process."

Let's just hope they're on the same page as us. :)

JayEm
Gear: KorgPoly800 Monotron MonotronDuo MonotronDelay Monotribe VolcaBass MS20Mini MS2000 MFB522 Arturia Minibrute Yamaha CS-15D Tama TechstarTS305
Band: datapark / KNUCKLEFACE / JayEm

Post by JayEm » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:31 pm

I ignored this thread until I saw the BK-9 videos on matrixsynth.

I'm not certain if they're insane, but they sure as s**t shot well past tongue in cheek and landed in f**k stupid territory.
w00t

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:53 pm

Well the product itself is not so bad, but the marketing department deserves to be rounded up and sacked IMO :lol:

madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:35 pm

:lol:

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:46 pm

Looks like a great instrument for those who are into this stuff

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:38 am

griffin avid wrote:Everyone has that internal-snobbish-ego that leads them to believe what they do and how they do it is the right way to be artistic. It's like people who dislike genres and make it a point every time they can.
I don't think those are quite the same thing. For most people there probably wouldn't be a lot of point in working a certain way if they didn't feel that was the best or at least a valid way to work. Who would do that? But it doesn't have to follow that you then automatically dismiss or even need to make comparison with other approaches or disciplines or whatever. Not that there's anything wrong with that either except that it's possibly a bit childish.

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:45 am

tim gueguen wrote:Frankly I think the product is probably from their BK line, and the whole "Roland is back" bit is a PR slogan done by someone whose first language isn't English.
I was right.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:52 am

"...there probably wouldn't be a lot of point in working a certain way if they didn't feel that was the best or at least a valid way to work."

Insert a "Best for them" and I agree. BEST FOR ALL is what I'm saying.

But it doesn't have to follow that you then automatically dismiss or even need to make comparison with other approaches or disciplines or whatever.
I agree, but in many cases it does.

I think it starts after someone has results they are happy with, working a certain way. It's unlocking the mystery of their own creativity/talent/art/whatever....

I consider it the equivalent of meeting someone who has just fallen into religion and they have that...euphoric stage when they feel like they have discovered the ultimate truth and MUST share it with everyone and also do them a favor and CONVERT them so they can experience it too.

"Don't use that...use this."
"Unless you've ever done or used XYZ, you just don't know...."
"X Tool is made for X-type people who like to make X-type music which is enjoyed by x-type people"
"where as I...am special because I use Y-type tool, y-way to make y-music that only y-types can understand. You know, because they are special y-types like me. They get it....totally.

On another related note, I am surprised the software section of this forum has good info and a nice atmosphere.
I expected slag-heap-central.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

dkhbrit

Post by dkhbrit » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:50 pm

It's a perfectly decent instrument for those that like that sort of thing.

They're not going to develop instruments just for a lot of nerds like us on a message board. All these comments about "if they build it we will buy it" . No. You'd probably just go online and complain that the arpeggios are shite or the filters aren't to your liking.

:D

danbroad
Gear: TSC4 P12 NI9

Post by danbroad » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:14 pm

dkhbrit wrote:It's a perfectly decent instrument for those that like that sort of thing.

They're not going to develop instruments just for a lot of nerds like us on a message board.

:D
The problem is 'nerds like us' are the market here. If they want a slice of this market, they'd better 'nerd up', just like Korg and the others have. Otherwise, why even bother with us at all?
Less words more noise

madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:56 pm

Remember Roland also make cakewalk/sonar. Never used it or anything but somepeople round here rave bout it...

*edit. Don't exactly make it, but own most of the company that does...
Last edited by madmarkmagee on Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:57 pm

People here won't be happy unless we get a Jupiter-8 clone and can side-by-side compare them, and naturally, state that their old one sounds better.