Proof that Roland are indeed insane.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
philip

Re: Proof that Roland are indeed insane.

Post by philip » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:42 am

Ahahhhahaha, they just out of reality.epic fail

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:05 am

madtheory wrote:So the campaign pisses off the people who won't buy it. I wonder how it works for the people who do want a keyboard like this? Again: Roland know what they're doing. Like Kevin Spacey's character in House of Cards. :)
Roland's CEO stepped down last month and they made losses 4 years in a row.

Also they've been putting out the same kind of c**p for years, it's so bland that they even tried to rehash their old synth names.

Also why would all the wedding bands etc go for the latest expensive Roland keyboard when they can find something second hand for so much less and for such a small need.

severen

Post by severen » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:29 am

don't expect too much of 21 century roland and kurzweil.

danbroad
Gear: TSC4 P12 NI9

Post by danbroad » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:58 am

masstronaut wrote: I think some of you might be confusing what you would like to see Roland do with them giving a toss about your world and just perhaps they do have some idea which side their bread is buttered right now. Which is a major tragedy of course, especially seeing as no other companies are producing analogue synthesisers. :-(
http://investing.businessweek.com/resea ... er=7944:JP. Makes for interesting reading, if you're into business analysis and financial projections.

Roland must care enough that they have enlisted a nationwide survey of users. Besides, as stated most here think they offer decent products to the demographic that looks at arrangers, gigging PCM boards and the like. I use a Quad capture daily, and Cakewalk shows they are serious about the production market.

No, this is about a silly campaign - they're back from what? If this is a variation on the VR then that's a great board, there's no need to suggest a return to form as if the previous models were subpar. Also, if they re going to chase a niche like ours, then in the current market another SH201 or Gaia is not going to cut it against the far more relevant and market-pleasing competition from the other manufacturers I mentioned. I can only extrapolate from local experience also, but the Jupiter remake has seemingly been a sluggish seller (my local shop, one of the larger ones in the UK, has sold none despite being a 'Roland Planet' designate). Folks are still buying Motifs, it seems. At least the major R&D costs were covered by previous products.

I couldn't give two hoots whether they rereleased a 303 or Juno-6, but it'd be a clever market move with a clear audience.
Less words more noise

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:24 am

madtheory wrote:...Roland have been profitable continuously for over 40 years...
Wrong again. Look at their latest financial reports if you want to appear to make informed statements.

But back to the point of this thread which I think the majority of you are missing, I think it's interesting that the statement of "We are Back" kind of suggests that even Roland themselves relise that they've f**k up in a big way. Just like the hairbrained idea to bring back the old names like Juno/Jupiter/SH etc.

Lets just hope this recent survey points them in a better direction.

They're desperate, and it shows. :?

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:32 am

What survey? When did they do it and what kind of questions did it have? Interesting.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:59 am

Yeah, I've heard about that survey too. Link?
soundcloud.com/vectron

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:11 am

I thought they were just saying they're back at messe with a new product. Maybe theyre referring to their financial difficulties too, I don't know.

The thing with all this complaining is that with the V-Synth they did put out the most forward looking and interesting synths in a loooong time, and it didn't sell very well. But they stuck with it for two more versions at least. Maybe putting out workstations and arrangers isn't that exciting to the synth nerds, but when Roland did do something for the synth nerds they didn't buy it anyway.

danbroad
Gear: TSC4 P12 NI9

Post by danbroad » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:03 am

The survey may well have been UK only, but it was quite open: 'what springs to mind when you think of roland, what do we do well, what do we do poorly' etc. The link I can't provide: it was a personal email link. Probably sent to me because I recently registered a Roland product (the quad capture, last year)..
Less words more noise

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:03 am

volumetrik wrote:Roland's CEO stepped down last month and they made losses 4 years in a row.
I didn't know that. Do you have any links to articles?
volumetrik wrote:Also why would all the wedding bands etc go for the latest expensive Roland keyboard when they can find something second hand for so much less and for such a small need.
Because new= reliable and they can afford to pay for it. Because they're actually professional musicians i.e. earning money from music. And lastly the majority of shops (that I have seen in Ireland and Spain) stock them because that is what sells best.
Stab Frenzy wrote:Maybe putting out workstations and arrangers isn't that exciting to the synth nerds, but when Roland did do something for the synth nerds they didn't buy it anyway.
+1!

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:33 am

madtheory wrote:
volumetrik wrote:Also why would all the wedding bands etc go for the latest expensive Roland keyboard when they can find something second hand for so much less and for such a small need.
Because new= reliable and they can afford to pay for it. Because they're actually professional musicians i.e. earning money from music. And lastly the majority of shops (that I have seen in Ireland and Spain) stock them because that is what sells best.
Stab Frenzy wrote:Maybe putting out workstations and arrangers isn't that exciting to the synth nerds, but when Roland did do something for the synth nerds they didn't buy it anyway.
+1!
Old keyboards are also reliable. Are you saying all thoes musicians like Deadmau5, Tiesto etc are not pros earning money? At what point does something sell best? if say their wedding keyboards sells 100,000 units and an analog synth sells 30,000 units does that mean its not a success its just bullshit and should not go into that business?

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:40 am

I'm not sure if this is the link for it, but this shows that the guy in charge of organ development has been replaced and also mentions this:

2. Reason for the Change
The Company announced structural reform of the electronic musical instruments business on November 7, 2012. Under the leadership of the newly appointed management, the Company will strive to implement reforms to improve profitability and establish a foundation for future growth.

(didn't think they still looked at it like "electronic musical instruments")

http://www.roland.com/ir/pdf/2013/20130215.pdf

I first heard that the CEO stepped down at Gearslutz.

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:46 am

Roland are not alone with some of the comments on this thread , far from it however they were once a force in this field , somehow they seemed to have lost the plot , perhaps they could start by acually releasing something that has been a result of feedback and offers something new release something good or not at all.
yamoto773

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:55 am

bochelli wrote:We are back releasing gear no one asked for or wanted comes to mind .. Memorymoog blows that shite away on one key note.
Ah the Memorymoog. Releasing that sure did some things for the profitability of moog music didn't it? :lol:

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:13 pm

LOL@ Memorymoog!
volumetrik wrote:Old keyboards are also reliable.
Not for gigging every night of the week though. That's why we have Juno Stage, Nord Stage etc. etc. And those keyboards have better piano sounds than older stuff. Pianos are important to gigging musicians.
volumetrik wrote:Are you saying all thoes musicians like Deadmau5, Tiesto etc are not pros earning money?
No I'm not saying that. But as pointed out earlier, that list= 12 sales. Conversely, Roland is a high volume seller.
volumetrik wrote:At what point does something sell best? if say their wedding keyboards sells 100,000 units and an analog synth sells 30,000 units does that mean its not a success its just bullshit and should not go into that business?
That depends on the size of the company. There is a wide range from Cwejman to Roland and all sizes in between. Each caters to a demographic and works their business model to make money. Which is why it's pointless to get annoyed with Roland. There's something to suit everyone these days.

Thanks for the pdf, very interesting. Where did you find it? So the new guy was in charge of the "Classic Project" in 2007. Obviously he done good. More Junos and Jupiters then! :lol: