What ever happened to Geddy Lee's giant Oberheim/Moog Synth?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
OB-XaMinimoog

What ever happened to Geddy Lee's giant Oberheim/Moog Synth?

Post by OB-XaMinimoog » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:38 pm

Lately I've been rather fascinated by Geddy's giant custom dual manual Oberheim 8 Voice/Moog mashup synth he had back in the late 70s and early 80s. I think its really cool not only because its a dual manual analog BEAST, but for the fact that he also rigged up his Moog Taurus pedals to trigger it while he was playing Bass and singing. I got to thinking whatever happened to that machine. I know he used it on Hemispheres in 1978 up until Moving Pictures and the following tour in 1981. On Signals in 1982 he seemed to have done away with it and started using mainly his OB-X and Minimoog along with a OB-Xa and a Jupiter 8 I believe.

I wonder if anyone on here might know what happened to that beast. Actually those beasts. He had two; one with the 8 voice SEMs built into the machine (the original one, that I guess was a nightmare) and then another one with the 8 SEMs built into a separate box and connected to the machine via cables.

I sure hope he didn't have them scrapped them or gutted of any parts :o

jaypodesta

Re: What ever happened to Geddy Lee's giant Oberheim/Moog Sy

Post by jaypodesta » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:04 pm

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:15 pm

Aye, but that thread gives no answer to this question. Just a long discussion about how musicians could afford monsters like those :)

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:00 am

I'd guess Rush have a warehouse of some sort, someplace. So the remnants might have been sitting in a box for the last 30 years. On the other hand it's possible they were sold off at some point, and someone has some or all of that 8 Voice and doesn't know it was a celeb owned instrument.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:04 am

I don't know, Geddy switched out his entire oldschool system in 1993 with sample based synths, nowadays he basically uses a Roland Fantom X7 and a Moog little phatty. He used Roland XV5080 rompler modules in 2000-2004 where he'd put samples of the old sounds and trigger them via MIDI and bass pedals while playing bass.

xanadu97
Gear: DIY Modular
Monotron

Post by xanadu97 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:51 am

I wish he still used it. The Little Phatty sounds great too, but it's not a Minimoog or Oberheim. I'd also like to see him recreate the 2112 synth intro live, even just once, instead of sampling it.

severen

Post by severen » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:29 am

Isn't there anything better?

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:34 pm

I honestly don't think these people care about what synthesizers Geddy uses on stage.
This is from the period where he used several XV-5080s and MIDI trigger pedals and a MIDI keyboard.
Do you think someone went "oh lol he's not using an oberheim 8-voice what f**k s**t!!!" in that crowd?

If it sounds the same and/or great, noone really cares but us nerds sitting here :)

Actually, the tumble dryers are there because Geddy didn't wanna use regular bass amps, he'd jack into the in-house speaker system to get a better sound out, so they'd replace the bass amp wall with random items instead.

ppg_wavecomputer
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:19 pm

Bitexion wrote:I honestly don't think these people care about what synthesizers Geddy uses on stage. [...]
I don´t even believe any professional keyboard player of that era cared much about the instruments they were using back then. To them, these were only *tools* which helped them either to set themselves apart from the rest, or to brag with (or both). None of them would have expected their instruments to become desirable collectors´ items with a cult following. Just take a look at how people like Keith Emerson treated their Moog Modulars after they had been superceded by something more advanced or playable.

On a minor note, French composer (now Hamburg-based) Serge Blenner was a famous user of all things PPG. When I visited him in his studio back in 1992, I was expecting to see all the Waves and EVUs and Waveterms piled up. Instead, he had two MicroWave 1 and a couple of Casio FZ-1 samplers... they did the same, cost a fracture, and didn´t break every so often.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

rschnier
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by rschnier » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:53 pm

Bitexion wrote:Actually, the tumble dryers are there because Geddy didn't wanna use regular bass amps, he'd jack into the in-house speaker system to get a better sound out, so they'd replace the bass amp wall with random items instead.
When I saw them on the Snakes and Arrows tour, it was rotisserie chicken machines, full of whole chickens being roasted during the show. A chef would occasionally walk onstage and check how they were doing. It was surreal and somehow very cool.
-- R.

xanadu97
Gear: DIY Modular
Monotron

Post by xanadu97 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:05 am

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:
Bitexion wrote:I honestly don't think these people care about what synthesizers Geddy uses on stage. [...]
I don´t even believe any professional keyboard player of that era cared much about the instruments they were using back then. To them, these were only *tools* which helped them either to set themselves apart from the rest, or to brag with (or both). None of them would have expected their instruments to become desirable collectors´ items with a cult following. Just take a look at how people like Keith Emerson treated their Moog Modulars after they had been superceded by something more advanced or playable.
Geddy cared. Here's a quote from a 1984 interview:

"What I liked about the PPG was the fact that it was a digital *and* an analog synthesizer [digital oscillators with analog filters]. Mind you, there's nothing like an analog synthesizer when you want a powerful sound. Analog synthesizers like the Oberheim OB-Xa and the Roland JP-8 have an organic punch to them that I find difficult to get out of a digital synthesizer like the PPG. But they have their own unique areas where they shine. The PPG has a crystalline sound which sparkles. It has a very 'invisible' sort of sound that the guitar punches through very easily. I guess the structure of the wavetables and the combination of waveforms that go into making the wavetable and the digitized sound itself imparts a more 'transparent' quality to the sound. Analog synthesizers seem to be a little more 'sludgy' and soak up more space."

Sounds like something you'd read on a forum.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:29 am

Bitexion wrote:I honestly don't think these people care about what synthesizers Geddy uses on stage.
I've often heard people ask 'what about the 8-voice of Geddy Lee, how did it get so high?'

OB-XaMinimoog

Post by OB-XaMinimoog » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:40 am

Bitexion wrote:I honestly don't think these people care about what synthesizers Geddy uses on stage.
This is from the period where he used several XV-5080s and MIDI trigger pedals and a MIDI keyboard.
Do you think someone went "oh lol he's not using an oberheim 8-voice what f**k s**t!!!" in that crowd?
I'm sure theres someone, I can't be the only one! :shock: :lol:
ppg_wavecomputer wrote:

Stephen
As far as I know Keith loved his Moog. He said one of the biggest reasons he used it live was the theatrics of it, having that giant beast up there on stage. He's even had it on some more recent tours, and has said that if its out before the show starts where people can see it everyone is like really awe by it. And when he does the portemento sweep on the Lucky Man solo.

Nowadays I don't blame him for using Samplers and stuff. Plus he's said after their synth period he wanted to focus more on playing his Bass than playing keyboards, hence the reduced number of keyboards and more foot triggered samplers and effects. But as cool as the Oberheim was, its not very practical for stage use, even though I'd still use one just for shits and giggles :D

It just makes me wonder whatever happened to it. I'd imagine they sold it, because I have seen some synths (I think OB-X/OB-Xas) for sale claiming to have been used by him. But a giant beast like that, they might have just put in storage.

But I mean, just look at it. Its glorious

If they come across it one day they should sell it. Or if they can't because its too big, they could always give it to me ;) :D

natrixgli
Gear: USB Hub, Pedalboard, Keyboard Stand, and many cables.
Band: Suboscillator

Post by natrixgli » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:49 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
I've often heard people ask 'what about the 8-voice of Geddy Lee, how did it get so high?'
Did you wonder if it oscillates like an ordinary synth?

I know it, and it does.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld