Nord Lead 4 Coming to Musikmesse

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Nord Lead 4 Coming to Musikmesse

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:39 am

silikon wrote:If Clavia were going to bring another iteration of a Synth to market, they should have done the Modular. The beauty of any Lead product they've brought to market is lost on me. I was never really impressed with the sound of the system at its most basic levels; and I tried. NL, NL2, NL2x, NL3, Wave...

A new Nord Modular would have been 10000x more interesting... :(
The problem is that the Leads have always sold well but the G2 didn't at all. Interesting is one thing but they want to stay in business.

Anyone else see the new Nord Drum 2? Six voices and stereo out, looks cool.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:01 am

The Nord Modular thing was never a good idea really. Specially not with all the software VST modular synths that go way and beyond what most analogue modular systems do nowadays. I bought the Micro modular many years ago, but never really used it beyond loading up dozens of user-made patches I found online. So many confusing control modules.

It did however trigger my GAS for a real modular system, and I got that eventually, so..who knows.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:48 am

I have a G2 and it's great. I've used it for heaps of different things in the studio and live, from sequencing a set of midi controlled bells for an outdoor performance to triggering synth voices with drum triggers to using as a normal poly synth. It's a fantastically useful synth and should have been an amazing seller but for whatever reason it wasn't.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:43 am

Yes great machine. The MicroModular was amazing too, especially at the price.

As to other comments in this thread, it's funny like the Roland are mad thread. I love it when people think they know the business better than a well established company.

Kenneth
Gear: Nothing I own will make you jealous.
Band: KGB

Post by Kenneth » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:15 pm

madtheory wrote:Yes great machine. The MicroModular was amazing too, especially at the price.

As to other comments in this thread, it's funny like the Roland are mad thread. I love it when people think they know the business better than a well established company.
We are not claiming to "know the business". We are sharing opinions. That's what the forum is here for.
Comparison is the thief of joy.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:29 pm

madtheory wrote:...I love it when people think they know the business better than a well established company.
Still doesn't change the *fact* that they are indeed not doing a good job as they are failing to turn a profit and have done for several years.

If you want to see what actually sells, go to the Korg thread. ;)

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:33 pm

Even if they came out with a nord modular 3, I'd never buy it. They have a history of releasing these things, and then dropping all support of them.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:22 pm

droolmaster0 wrote:Even if they came out with a nord modular 3, I'd never buy it. They have a history of releasing these things, and then dropping all support of them.
How long do you want them to support discontinued products?

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:41 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
droolmaster0 wrote:Even if they came out with a nord modular 3, I'd never buy it. They have a history of releasing these things, and then dropping all support of them.
you mean do I have an exact number? That's absolutely ridiculous. There have been lots of complaints over the years that for their products that require a computer to edit the patches, they discontinue the product and then rather quickly stop supporting and updating the computer software. But no, I don't have an exact cutoff. Sorry about that.

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:11 pm

O/T but operating systems moving on is a nearly unavoidable issue for anything computer based. The Nord Mods are great though, not only flexible but actually very robust and easy to use. And of course they still work - if you find your latest Mac won't run the old editor you could pick up an old iMac or XP laptop for next to nothing that will do the trick.

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:15 pm

OIC, the Norwegian guy was dissing the Swedes. Well I think we have to take that with a pinch of salt. ;-)

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:23 pm

droolmaster0 wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:
you mean do I have an exact number? That's absolutely ridiculous. There have been lots of complaints over the years that for their products that require a computer to edit the patches, they discontinue the product and then rather quickly stop supporting and updating the computer software. But no, I don't have an exact cutoff. Sorry about that.
I can answer that to some degree, but it's kind of complicated.

At the bare minimum, three years. Ideally, 5 years or more. After that time period, open the source code to the community under a GPL or similar licensure, so that the community has the option from thereafter of supporting the software, or making the source open from the get-go.

That's just the software/firmware part of the rig; the hardware seems a bit more tricky to deal with, as having extra supplies on hand takes money and other investments. Perhaps modularizing the hardware (logic board, I/O, DSP,etc) in a format that can allow for replaceable components that aren't all mounted on the motherboard. However the hardwre side does seem to be a bit hearty (besides the USB I/O). so maybe that's less a concern.

Regardless, I think the idea was an outstanding one, with the unfortunate ailment that is lack of software support or replacement parts.

Would it make them buckets of money? I can't say. Would a G3 modular with current DSP tech and updated code be a hit? I also can't say. I do know that the first thing I had hoped when they released the "back to our synth roots" (paraphrasing) meant a G3 modular. :|
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by silikon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:28 pm

masstronaut wrote:O/T but operating systems moving on is a nearly unavoidable issue for anything computer based. The Nord Mods are great though, not only flexible but actually very robust and easy to use. And of course they still work - if you find your latest Mac won't run the old editor you could pick up an old iMac or XP laptop for next to nothing that will do the trick.
*most* work well, The problem exists currently for some (and what had happened to me as well) that updating to the latest firmware and using the latest patch editor left me with an unusable synth, unless all I was going to do was program patches and never upload, download or change patch banks; and it wasn't only me having the issue, plenty of folks experienced the same thing, and it's well documented on the electro-music (IIRC) forums.

Also, I used to think having multiple machines around so I could run various things was not such a bad thing, but it's absolute bollocks and just daft. I finally retired my Mac G4 and I'd like to keep it that way. XP was history (not of the glorious kind), and I shudder to think about having to go back there.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:32 pm

masstronaut wrote:O/T but operating systems moving on is a nearly unavoidable issue for anything computer based. The Nord Mods are great though, not only flexible but actually very robust and easy to use. And of course they still work - if you find your latest Mac won't run the old editor you could pick up an old iMac or XP laptop for next to nothing that will do the trick.
Sure - if it doesn't work, just buy another computer. Sure. Issues like lack of space, etc - those are irrelevant. If nord cared about their customers, they would do minor updates to make the software compatible. And even if you want to be a fanboy and say that their support on this is exemplary, wtf should I buy something where I know that I'm going to have to buy another computer in order to use the hardware? Insane. The rational decision for me is to just boycott them.

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by silikon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:35 pm

droolmaster0 wrote:The rational decision for me is to just boycott them.
Already have the T-Shirts made up. Want one? :D
echo 1 > /dev/awesome