Alesis QS7.1 - Thoughts?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Romannis1972
Gear: JX8P, SX-240, iPad running NanoStudio, Z3TA, Modular, Thor, Alchemy, iMS20, Audulus, Caustic, Xynthesizr
Band: Romannis Mötte

Alesis QS7.1 - Thoughts?

Post by Romannis1972 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:52 pm

I have a chance to get one of these really cheap, great condition. I need a rather reliable synth to use live, and some of you may know I do new age spacescape type music ala Ashra, Tangerine Dream (Phaedra-Rubycon era), Klaus Schulze...

I have read the manual and the modulation possibilities are pretty awesome, offering 3 LFOs with 8 waveforms each and being able to manually or program speed changes. Not to keen seeing the filter has no resonance setting... but every other synth I have does.

All in all it seems like it would serve me well, but I'm curious what some of you guys think about it.

Yay or nay????

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Re: Alesis QS7.1 - Thoughts?

Post by rhino » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:43 am

I bought one of the first Quadrasynths out. Later traded up to a QS+piano, then a QS8. Never had a moments problem with any of them. Bummer to program - with endless layers on menus. The 64 voices let you layer and split...I made use of the 16-way keyboard splits to program hits and sound effects on the ends of the keyboard with the middle split bass/piano, etc.
I hear that the .2 models were cheapened for cost cutting measures.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:05 am

I've had one for a few years now.

It's a nice machine. Many of the presets have too much reverb for my taste.

Mine will be for sale soon, as well as 3 Q-Cards if anybody's interested.

Romannis1972
Gear: JX8P, SX-240, iPad running NanoStudio, Z3TA, Modular, Thor, Alchemy, iMS20, Audulus, Caustic, Xynthesizr

Post by Romannis1972 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:14 am

Well, I did it. I figure if I decide I don't care for it then I can flip it somewhere. Dig it so far but DAMN those menus.....

BluMunk
Gear: RD700GX
Korg M3-61/Radias
Dave Smith PER
Virus Snow
FS1R
JV-2080/Xpanded
D-550
Matrix 6R
Proteus
QSR
Band: Sneezeguard

Post by BluMunk » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:51 pm

I've had a 7.1 since they came out (replaced my 7.0 that got stolen out of my living room).

It's the one piece of gear I've owned the longest. It's super reliable, jam packed full of of usable patches (I also have some QCards), and building "Mixes" for live use is very easy. Also, the menu-diving for patch programming is pretty straightforward and self-explanatory. And it has aftertouch.

Romannis1972

Post by Romannis1972 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:06 pm

Yeah man, I'm pretty into it! The programming will take a hot minute to get used to since
knobs have been my forte' for some time now. The effects and mod routing is the main obstacle I'm dealing with at the moment. But I'm sure I'll grasp it shortly. Definietly not the most difficult synth I've ever owned. I think the Waldorf XTK takes that cake...

Still kinda distrught that the filter has no resonance :?