New Novation Bass Station?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: New Novation Bass Station?

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Tue May 14, 2013 8:19 pm

PJ, if I may, I don't think Bitexion was taking you down at all. I think he was saying that Nick will undoubtably do a proper review on Sonic State as well and he's looking forward to that. It's too bad that his first exposure to the Bass Station II played out as it did, but there's not much one can do about it now. It's up for eternity, you know?

Your review is great! Nice to hear from someone who has gotten to play with one (that's mostly functional) in person and was able to find out a whole lot more about it than has been posted before. If anything, it makes me hopeful that by the time I get my paws on one, it will be completely ready to go.

And the, shortly thereafter, go home with me. :D
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

edfunction
Gear: sh-101, monomachine, nordmodular, esx1, nova, jx3p, jx8p, prophet vs, dx200

Post by edfunction » Tue May 14, 2013 8:36 pm

@pjablon: Thanks for the review, sounds promising!

If you could clock the sequencer to an audio trigger I'd finally be able to retire my beat-up 101 for live duties, don't expect them to put that in though...

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue May 14, 2013 9:24 pm

Pjpablon:
Oh I wasn't being mean to you in any way, if it came across that way I apologize. I was commenting on the fact that the developer was a bit sad about the first impressions sonicstate "review", and stated that I don't think a hasty first impressions thing like Nick obviously had should be seen as a definite review. You had a much longer time with it than he did.

I just know that the sonicstate guy does really good in-depth reviews, so I wouldn't fret too much if he had a hasty first-impression look at it, when he was armed with questions from forum users to ask the developer aswell. He will give a full review when he has a unit to play with, I'm sure.

pjablon

Post by pjablon » Tue May 14, 2013 10:24 pm

No offence taken. Sorry if I got carried away. Yes, Nick does very good reviews I agree and I'm looking forward to one.

As for me, I'm sold. It is very fun little machine in a way, a proper hardware should be in 2013. Good hands on controls and funky arp/seq with excellent DAW integration.
I was always a fan of MIDI and was pleasantly surprised to see that almost everything that could be done with this technology was implemented in a smart way on the BS2. Honestly, I can't think of anything except MIDI maps for controlling external gear that could be improved on this thing.

@edfunction
No, you cannot clock the sequencer from the external audio. Even more, you cannot pass external audio without triggering the note, neither can you gate the envelope from the audio signal (it works like "KBD" gate source on MiniBrute, and it lacks "audio" and "hold" modes).
However you can latch the arpeggiator or sequencer and play with the filter, distortions etc. In some way it may work sort of like Moog MidiMurf in a sense that you have sequenced filter pattern running over the external audio plus double distortion circuits, LFOs and filter FM, that can be applied even if you turn all the oscillators down on the mixer. I haven't try this but I imagine it could be a killer guitar effect.
I tell you this is fun keyboard.
Cheers

edfunction
Gear: sh-101, monomachine, nordmodular, esx1, nova, jx3p, jx8p, prophet vs, dx200

Post by edfunction » Wed May 15, 2013 9:03 am

Ah, that's a shame. Somehow I expected it not to.
clocking sequencers and arpeggios from drum machines is a useful trick for live improvisation.

smcumber

Post by smcumber » Wed May 15, 2013 1:49 pm

Even more excited now that the arpeggiator sends MIDI data, seems like a really awesome keyboard.

Pjpablon, one more question - (I apologize if your review mentioned this and I missed it) did you happen to see if the arp responds if you sending notes through the MIDI IN? One great thing about the Juno 6/60 arpeggiator is that you have such a large keyboard to work with the arp, it would be nice to use a larger midi controller with the Bass Station one.

pjablon

Post by pjablon » Wed May 15, 2013 2:13 pm

that's the one thing I didn't check. I don't know if the Arp responds to MIDI IN. Seeing how smart they were with the implementation I expect that it will do. However I didn't check and didn't ask. Sorry.

smcumber

Post by smcumber » Wed May 15, 2013 3:43 pm

No problem, I would assume so.

This seems so full-featured, how is it that a keyboard like this costs $500 and the much simpler Moog Minitaur costs $600? Are Moog components just that much nicer and more expensive? (I'm sure this has been discussed already)

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Wed May 15, 2013 5:44 pm

Can o' worms there, SM! Can o' worms ...
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed May 15, 2013 5:52 pm

Many synths with arps don't output every arp note as a midi note, they only register the base keys via MIDI.
I guess the same thing counts the other way around. I wonder why, really.

pjablon

Post by pjablon » Wed May 15, 2013 6:55 pm

In the ideal world I'd like to send a chord over MIDI to the synth. It would be arpeggiated according to the on-board arp settings with the swing and different rhythmic patterns, and arpeggio would be send back over MIDI OUT. This way I could use BS2 as an external arpeggiator :)
We'll see how it works but I think there is a chance for that.
@edfunction
As for the syncing the arp to the DIN trigger, can't the Korg Volca translate MIDI clock to DIN sync? Maybe it could receive the MIDI clock from BS2 and output DIN sync to your drum machine? So you could sync the drum machine to the ARP instead the other way. Just guessing since I don't know how it works and whether BS2 outputs MIDI clock.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed May 15, 2013 7:00 pm

The Motif XF can send out ARP notes as MIDI, but you have to enable it inside the menus, it's not a default setting as one would imagine. And MIDI notes don't trigger the arp either unless you specify it to do so.

Solyaris

Post by Solyaris » Thu May 23, 2013 3:31 am

smcumber wrote:No problem, I would assume so.

This seems so full-featured, how is it that a keyboard like this costs $500 and the much simpler Moog Minitaur costs $600? Are Moog components just that much nicer and more expensive? (I'm sure this has been discussed already)
I've wondered the same thing! Could using DCOs bring down the cost that much to allow all those features?

ravenmek

Post by ravenmek » Thu May 23, 2013 4:48 am

It's a VCO synth, not DCO

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu May 23, 2013 6:47 am

ravenmek wrote:It's a VCO synth, not DCO
He's talking about the Bass Station 2 not the Minitaur.