New Novation Bass Station?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
sentientprogram
Gear: Pro 2, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, Prophet 12, El Capistan, blueSky, Deco, Abelton Live, DX7, RX15, TR-8, Metasonix F-1, MF Drive.

Re: New Novation Bass Station?

Post by sentientprogram » Thu May 02, 2013 12:12 am

New peek from Sonic State.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Thu May 02, 2013 6:14 am

He didn't seem that interested in filter being modded by oscillator which is massively flexible. Self resonance gives you a sine, and you can reach some insane FM sound fx. I do this all the time with the Octave Kitten.

sentientprogram
Gear: Pro 2, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, Prophet 12, El Capistan, blueSky, Deco, Abelton Live, DX7, RX15, TR-8, Metasonix F-1, MF Drive.

Post by sentientprogram » Thu May 02, 2013 6:32 am

Yeah, it's an interesting video altogether; Nick from Sonic State doesn't get to have a go at, and I get the vibe from Novation Nick that firmware is far from finished. Not sure if Sonic State Nick was acting as a neutral journo, or just not that impressed with the synth.

smcumber

Post by smcumber » Thu May 02, 2013 1:53 pm

Looks pretty effing awesome based on that video, wondering if the arpeggiator/sequencer is sent through the MIDI out, and if they would still work with notes coming from an external controller to the MIDI in.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Thu May 02, 2013 5:11 pm

smcumber wrote:Looks pretty effing awesome based on that video, wondering if the arpeggiator/sequencer is sent through the MIDI out, and if they would still work with notes coming from an external controller to the MIDI in.
Yes. I'm also wondering if it would be possible for Novation to reserve some more memory for user arpeggio patterns.
All in all, the synth looks and sounds like winner

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Thu May 02, 2013 6:45 pm

That sonic state dude is pretty biased really. He was fishing for things to berate about it. That arp is amazing as well. Just like the 101 sequencer, shiftable with the keys. What novation needs to do is send me the damn thing and I'll make a great demo with it.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Thu May 02, 2013 7:45 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:That sonic state dude is pretty biased really. He was fishing for things to berate about it. That arp is amazing as well. Just like the 101 sequencer, shiftable with the keys. What novation needs to do is send me the damn thing and I'll make a great demo with it.
I don't think so - I think he was just trying to make sure that concerns that had been raised on the forums were addressed. He was giving the demonstrator a chance to clear the air. Kudos to Sonic State for not making another fluff video and actually pressing on matters people care about.

smcumber

Post by smcumber » Thu May 02, 2013 7:55 pm

Jabberwalky if you get one to do a demo I want to come by and see it, I live in Pittsburgh too.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Mon May 13, 2013 12:15 pm

"Tour Dates" for the UK have been posted: a chance for potential buyers to come out and see it before it hits the market. Here's the article from Sonic State: http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2013/05/ ... rs-the-uk/

Haven't seen any dates for anywhere else, but I've been told they'll have it at Sweetwater's Gear Fest.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon May 13, 2013 3:15 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:That sonic state dude is pretty biased really. He was fishing for things to berate about it. That arp is amazing as well. Just like the 101 sequencer, shiftable with the keys. What novation needs to do is send me the damn thing and I'll make a great demo with it.

Nick was basically passing on questions asked on the sonicstate forums. And they are naturally sceptical. He didn't review or berate the synth.

pjablon

Post by pjablon » Tue May 14, 2013 5:35 pm

Hi guys.
I've just been to the Novation presentation of the Bass Station 2. Chris had it plugged to nice monitors and Ableton Live and answered all my tricky questions. He is very nice guy btw. I had some time with the synth, played it, tweaked it and I really like it. Here are some thoughts.

Build quality is better than I expected. It's plastic but good plastic, like LEGO.
Knobs and sliders have very little play. They are smooth and precise. Sliders are really nice and much better than on the Minibrute. Switches have little too short throw but are ok.

Keybed is very good, not spongy and aftertouch travel is rather deep.
Overall I prefer the Novation interface over the Arturia, that is not bad in itself.

I was interested in the controller side of the thing and it is almost perfect.
Keybed sends polyphonic MIDI notes with velocity and aftetouch so you can play chords on the soft synths or your other modules. However when you switch to ARP or Sequencer it will output MIDI notes that are played by the synth so you can drive external modules with the BassStation ARP and SEQ.

MIDI CCs are assigned to the synth parameters rather than to the physical knobs and sliders. E.G. there are 4 CC controls for the Amp Envelope and 4 other CCs for Mod Env. If, for example you assign the cutoff of your softsynth to the Amp Env Attack and resonance to the Mod Env Attack, you can control both with the same slider by switching the selector switch. And, what is really cool if you switch it to Amp+Mod position you will make double sweep of both parameters with the single slider. The same goes for the oscillators, LFOs and mixer controls, Osc1 Pitch is one CC and Osc2 Pitch is another CC even though they are controlled with the same knob, etc.

As a result you can record automations from the front panel and all the tweaks will be recorded to your DAW as appropriate CCs.

In the Mixer section the switch for the last knob is a control switch, so it changes whether you set the Ext. signal, RingMod or Noise level, but you can have all those sources working at the same time. It’s not like: noise OR RingMod OR Ext. you can have all of them, the switch just changes what is controlled by the knob.

One cool thing is that aftertouch can control many destinations with different amounts at the same time. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the same goes for the Mod Wheel.

There are 128 memory slots and they will ship it with 64 presets, however we can overwrite the presets, so it's not like old Yamaha, where factory presets are there to stay.

When you load the patch, knobs won't, obviously, correspond to the parameters that are used, but if you tweak the knob there are little LED arrows that show you whether the parameter is higher or lower than the value stored in the patch. Simmilar system to Korg ESX/EMX but better.

My only gripe is that apparently we cannot set the CC numbers that are assigned to the controllers. Maybe they will fix it with some software editor. I would like to be able to load a MIDI map for my different sound modules.
ARP end SEQ sync automatically to the incoming MIDI clock. LFO sync is not implemented yet, but it will be. With the aftertouch to LFO speed modulation and LFO sync we will have pressure controlled wobble in tempo with the clock. FUN!

As for the sound, I must say I like it very much. It has this Roland flavour with the pinch of Moog. Very liquid filter, great for fart noises. Contrary to the initial impressions, not metalic or overdriven at all. No stepping or any other c**p as well. Filter tracking is set to 100% and cannot be changed but we can at least play the filter this way.

Chris was sad about the original Nicks, Sonicstate interview and said, that he (Nick) dropped in, like 5 minutes after they received the Bass Station and didn't have any chance to figure the thing out. On top of that, these are still an engineering prototypes, not even preproduction models, and the one at the MusikMesse had overdrive circuit busted.

Acid filter is sweet, however it is still not calibrated and resonance cannot go into self-oscillation, but it will. Fear not, it is the TB-303 as far as I can tell, complete with the swell sequencer.

It will track over 10! Octaves (transpose form -4 to +4) and the LFOs have crazy range from stopped to well into audio range for even more of FM stuff (no LFO tracking though, so not really tonal FM this way).
Overall, very good sounding and versatile synth. Very easy to get oldschool analog basses and acid lines. Filter FM gives those house FM basses and with the overdrive all the dubstep goodies.

Sweet spots seem to be quite wide and its easy to tweak something useful. For me it was like Analords in the box. I would describe the overall impression as a strong, powerful sound with heavy punch, not necessarily aggressive in the sense of distortion (however, it may be if you fancy that).

Chris said, that if they sell well they will release the module version. However for me the controller side with the ARP and SEQ is really interesting and worth the money itself.

Hope you find this little review useful.
Cheers.
Last edited by pjablon on Tue May 14, 2013 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Tue May 14, 2013 5:55 pm

^^
I kind of suspected this...it's definitely on my list. Thanks for the in-depth write-up!

Let's see...low cost analog goodness available in 2013:

Minibrute (obviously)
MS-20 Mini
Bass Station II
Volcas
Sub Phatty
MFB Shizzle

What am I missing?

Now...we sit and wait while suburban teenagers with cash to burn buy these items then get bored and sell them as toys...
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue May 14, 2013 6:32 pm

I'd never take a trade show demonstration article as a review, since you don't get the time you need to figure the thing out on your own, write notes while you're playing and programming. It's just 10 swift minutes of audio demo and a bit of hands-on messing about with something you don't know.

I fully trust sonicstate Nick (not rick) to come with an in-depth review when the unit is on sale. He is the best synth reviewer on internet in my opinion.

pjablon

Post by pjablon » Tue May 14, 2013 7:05 pm

Bitexion wrote:I'd never take a trade show demonstration article as a review, since you don't get the time you need to figure the thing out on your own, write notes while you're playing and programming. It's just 10 swift minutes of audio demo and a bit of hands-on messing about with something you don't know.

I fully trust sonicstate Nick (not rick) to come with an in-depth review when the unit is on sale. He is the best synth reviewer on internet in my opinion.
So you want to say, I'm talking c**p? I don't get what's the point of the comment.
I spend there over 2 hours playing with the synth and figuring things out. I have ears, I have brain, I can tell what I hear and how I feel about stuff. I shared with you my observations and info that was not public but may be interesting for some people. How making notes and spending more time with the synth will change the way how MIDI CCs are implemented? Or the fact that ARP is outputing the notes? or the build quality?
As for the sound, it's only my opinion and Nicks opinion will be his. Why his opinion will make a review and mine won't?

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Tue May 14, 2013 8:01 pm

Bitexion wrote:I'd never take a trade show demonstration article as a review, since you don't get the time you need to figure the thing out on your own, write notes while you're playing and programming. It's just 10 swift minutes of audio demo and a bit of hands-on messing about with something you don't know.

Doesn't change anything. I'm still getting one. I have a good feeling about it.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)