If you could design the perfect synth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Re: If you could design the perfect synth

Post by synthroom » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:08 pm

Don't forget to toss in a stereo sping reverb!!! I love it on the ARP 2600.
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

danbroad
Gear: TSC4 P12 NI9

Post by danbroad » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:10 pm

a full-fat hardware version of Omnisphere.
a full-fat software version of my machinedrum.

Or maybe just an Analog 4 with a keyboard, SFX-6 style.
Less words more noise

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:19 pm

ravenmek wrote:
Z wrote:
ravenmek wrote:a 4 digital OSC (wavetables, samples, FM, even with a joystick for vector synthesis) with analog SVF filters (8 for polyphony), distortion, 4 ADSR envelopes, 3 LFOs (including S&H). At the end, an analog chorus and spring reverb for the solos. A big ribbon controller, CS80 style, a XY pad for parameter controlling, and a trigger button for one of the envelopes). Poly AT is a must!!! and instead of a pitch wheel, a pitch stick like the Nord keyboards.
You have almost described the John Bowen Solaris. In my original post, I was going to state that the Solaris could be as close to a perfect synth as any. But as I stated before, I like having several synths with their own strengths.
I know! I would love to try one, but buying a 4000 dollars synth in my country is like saving 2 years of my salary :D
Anyone's dream synth with lots of features is going to cost quite a bit of money. A lot of people as als describing powerful analog synths similar to the Schmidt - which is $20K!

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:38 pm

It must have:
-A variphrase sampler wich can manipulate samples in the same way fizmo can manipulate transwaves. Realtime sample scanning.
-Modulation matrix with programmable controllers to manipulate it.
-Sequencer with realtime edition, with a programmable slider per track.
-No limits on effect assignation to tracks.
Analog Curtis and also digital filters like the Z-plane filters.

Happy
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:07 pm

Bitexion wrote:
ppg_wavecomputer wrote:Monophonic or polyphonic, wouldn´t matter as they would use the same architecture anyway:

- three LFOs, one for global modulation (vibrato etc.), two more elaborate (sync, reset, variable frequency ranges, voltage-controllable)

- three VCOs with two linear and two exponential FM inputs, PWM/phase modulation by various sources, hard sync, output of each VCO routable to various VCFs/resonators via potentiometers

- Noise, sample & hold (with various inputs and clocks, think ARP Odyssey)

- Ringmodulator (various input sources, level controllable using LFOs and/or envelopes), output routable to various VCFs/resonators

- Multimode VCF: switchable 12/18/24 dB response, high/band/lowpass, four individual FM control inputs, output switchable between VCF to Resonator or vice versa, direct output to VCA

- Resonator: think Synton Syrinx, output routable directly to output VCA, input either from VCF or output to VCF

- three DADSR envelopes, various triggering options, invertable, two with selectable loop modes and wide range (think Prophet VS)

- Stereo Output Stage with mixer section for VCF/Resonator output, VCO 1-3 sinewave straight to VCA (think Yamaha CS80), Amplitude modulation by various sources (envelopes and LFOs, VCO for overdrive), stereo panning modulation

- Five-octave keyboard with aftertouch and velocity (think Yamaha CS80), controlling various parameters.

Oh, and a sound to die for.

Stephen
90% of that is in the Alesis Ion already.
The missing 10% are the sound to die for, then?

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

ravenmek

Post by ravenmek » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:34 pm

Z wrote:
ravenmek wrote:
Z wrote:
You have almost described the John Bowen Solaris. In my original post, I was going to state that the Solaris could be as close to a perfect synth as any. But as I stated before, I like having several synths with their own strengths.
I know! I would love to try one, but buying a 4000 dollars synth in my country is like saving 2 years of my salary :D
Anyone's dream synth with lots of features is going to cost quite a bit of money. A lot of people as als describing powerful analog synths similar to the Schmidt - which is $20K!
Of course, I know, but the thing is not only the price, but the taxes. I should pay more or less 8000 dollars for it, while a prophet 12, as it has an official distributor, costs 3500 dollars!

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:46 am

ravenmek wrote:
Z wrote:
ravenmek wrote:
Of course, I know, but the thing is not only the price, but the taxes. I should pay more or less 8000 dollars for it, while a prophet 12, as it has an official distributor, costs 3500 dollars!
John Bowen has a distributor in Europe (in Germany, I think).

Plumpudding
Band: Dwarfland

Post by Plumpudding » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:06 am

It´s already there; A Blofeld, just without all the annoying quirks. The charming quirks I´ll happily live with. Other than that I´d like something totally different, both in engine and interface. One of the reason I started to administer electrical shocks to myself in a musical connection.
"Music is the space between the notes." - Jean Claude Van Damme

Instantinopel

Dark Side of My Mother - Slate Rock Up and Well Caustic Compound

sourwookie
Gear: ARP Solus, Roland SH-201, Korg MS2000, Nord Electro 3, Volca Keys and Beats,Roland Juno D

Post by sourwookie » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:59 am

As far as a studio synth for writing and being creative, I'm at a loss to determine what I want. Sometimes limitations are a benefit. I could probably be happy "settling" for a Schmidt.

As far as a gigging, or working stage synth--I know what i would love:

*Take the Nord C2 Chassis
*Fit it with the Nord Lead 4 engine and surface controls
*Fit it with the newest Electro 4 engine and surface controls
*Give the lower manual the HP keybed
*Give the upper manual a traditional synth keybed
*Polyphonic aftertouch
Last edited by sourwookie on Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:05 am

For a fixed-path synth, I think the Matrix-12 pretty much is really close to the perfect synth for the things I like to do.

Beyond that, I find the possibilities in modular systems to be practically endless, and therefore customizable into whatever your idea of perfect may be. :)
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

ravenmek

Post by ravenmek » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:23 am

Z wrote:
ravenmek wrote:
Z wrote:
John Bowen has a distributor in Europe (in Germany, I think).
Yep, but I'm from Argentina :) lol.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:16 am

silikon wrote:I find the possibilities in modular systems to be practically endless, and therefore customizable into whatever your idea of perfect may be. :)
+1.

Having a modular system you can add things like the Octatrack or V-Synth to so you can run samples through the modular signal path (analogue filters etc) is pretty much perfect already. And if it's not perfect for you you can add whatever you need for it to be perfect.