ANOTHER monosynth...oh and an analog drum machine (MFB)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
volumetrik

Re: ANOTHER monosynth...oh and an analog drum machine (MFB)

Post by volumetrik » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:12 pm

Bitexion wrote:Yet another entry into the sea of monosynths that will most likely be forgotten within 6 months.
It's not like that at all man, it's great that we have more and more choices of brand new synth, all these releases are extending life of such instruments, vintage hardware is already so scarce and unreliable...I just don't get why you have a negative view on this.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:22 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:but concerned that it's "tricky."
Nah, I think it's very vital.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:18 pm

Both look great... I don't think the Dominion-X was selling all that much, so maybe adding a keyboard was the way to go (would be nice if there was a proper pic of it somewhere though!). The Tanzbar also looks fantastic, even with an 808 here. Nice middle ground between the cool but limited Schlagzwerg, and their lower-end stuff. And of course, they've got the 5-voice polyphonic Dominion-5(?) waiting in the wings...

The wild card though, as always, will be build quality. Comments about the knobs on the Dominion-X were not favorable.
Do you even post on vse bro?

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:46 pm

With all the new stuff it's definitely an exciting year. I don't know why there are some misery gut opinions in here about more mono's, it basically giving people more choice. The only annoying thing about it is that most of us cannot possess them all but on a really important (to me anyway) positive note is that at least not all electronic music using these will sound the same.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:11 pm

Probably 90% of the synth sounds I use are mono, everyone else is probably the same or similar and if you're not I want to hear that f**k.

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:21 pm

volumetrik wrote:
Bitexion wrote:Yet another entry into the sea of monosynths that will most likely be forgotten within 6 months.
It's not like that at all man, it's great that we have more and more choices of brand new synth, all these releases are extending life of such instruments, vintage hardware is already so scarce and unreliable...I just don't get why you have a negative view on this.
Can you enumerate exactly why you believe having several monosynths with overall architecture differences measured in minutiae awesome?

Speaking strictly in relation to the rash of low-rent synths being brought to market -- they're cute and novel, but that will wear off with a quickness. If there's anything I've learned being in this industry for a few decades is, collectively we're mostly pretty fickle, and easily amused. We go 'fanboy' over the smallest thing, dump boatloads of cash into getting them, then a month later 70% of us will flip 'em on eBay or B/S/T.

Start demanding innovative features, instead of rewarding a re-hash of decades-old ideas.
tekkentool wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:but concerned that it's "tricky."
Nah, I think it's very vital.
But this speech is my recital.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:35 pm

zoomtheline wrote:Because it's not a polymoog
Perhaps and perhaps not, with tricky Arp Sequencer ?? whats all that about i thought its supposed to be new oh dear oh dear yet another reference to the old era.
yamoto773

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:37 pm

silikon wrote: Speaking strictly in relation to the rash of low-rent synths being brought to market -- they're cute and novel, but that will wear off with a quickness. If there's anything I've learned being in this industry for a few decades is, collectively we're mostly pretty fickle, and easily amused. We go 'fanboy' over the smallest thing, dump boatloads of cash into getting them, then a month later 70% of us will flip 'em on eBay or B/S/T.

If there are more cheap analogues then the people jumping on the analogue bandwagon can eat all of those up and all you fickle oldies can just keep wanking over your vintage without worry that you're being outbid by a snotty kid who wants it for dubstep.

Seriously though, If people are buying buying all these cheaper analogues then the high end gear can be safe with the people who appreciate them.

That too sounds moronic haha.

Who gives a f**k what gear people have, i'm happy with my stuff and you are happy with your stuff and i'm glad that these are different.

hehe

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:51 pm

bochelli wrote:Within a year forgotten and might sell 2nd hand for $500.
You guys just trying to keep used prices down?

salwa

Post by salwa » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:04 pm

tekkentool wrote:Probably 90% of the synth sounds I use are mono, everyone else is probably the same or similar and if you're not I want to hear that f**k.
Hmm... I've just finished recording album and I didn't use any monosynth (apart from APC-esque buzzmaker, but it's not a proper synth). What's wrong with me?
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:06 pm

salwa wrote:
tekkentool wrote:Probably 90% of the synth sounds I use are mono, everyone else is probably the same or similar and if you're not I want to hear that f**k.
Hmm... I've just finished recording album and I didn't use any monosynth (apart from APC-esque buzzmaker, but it's not a proper synth). What's wrong with me?
Hipster? :biggrin:

Or Death Metal?
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:11 pm

GuyaGuy wrote:
bochelli wrote:Within a year forgotten and might sell 2nd hand for $500.
You guys just trying to keep used prices down?
Not me amigo, the market will do that, has this company taken the long view ? have they thought a year from now will new synths really go forward in actually offering something new, someone somewhere will be already working on that one, fine, in a years time this synth will be old, perhaps see these synths in a different light from you, nothing is groundbreaking any more , its early days but time will tell.
yamoto773

severen

Post by severen » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:14 pm

mfb? Then this is probably mono synth....
no more mono synth please...
but that drum machine looks interesting

lazerface
Gear: Tempest, JX3P, Pro-One, Roland Gaia, Monotribe
Band: Solaires

Post by lazerface » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:19 pm

drum machine sounds like heaps of fun! keeeeen!

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, Fantom 6, Novation Summit, Modal Argon8X, Yamaha MODX6, Behringer Odyssey, Behringer Poly D, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX.

Post by Broadwave » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:24 pm

Out of all the new mono synths that have been released in the past year, THIS is the only one to get my juices going - full sized keys, 3 octaves, aftertouch :)

Over €1300 though? I thought the Dominion 5 was expected to come in around €1700 :o