New analog boxes from Korg?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Re: New analog boxes from Korg?

Post by shaft9000 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:31 pm

micahjonhughes wrote:I'm surprised in the interest in the Keys box.
you do realize that this little thing is the first HYBRID synth the 'big j3' have made in almost 30 years?

i can tell from the rather crude demo that the filter in this is really something - loaded with character, flexibility and charm - it sounds a lot like the Delta filter that's in my modcan system.
the more i play with new digital osc through analog filter+VCA the more i like it as a sort of ideal signal path, with much more timbral flexibility than most VCOs.

the bass and beats are obvious 303 and 808 variants...well uhhh gee nobody's done that in a while, have they :roll:

the volca Keys is by far the most interesting and unique of the 3
Last edited by shaft9000 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:44 pm

Sir Nose wrote:I haven't found better prices on new gear than JRR shop. The communicate well and have a brick and mortar store. If a product does not have a listed discount they always offer a 10% off new customer discount and there is a 10% off return customer discount included with gear delivered. Pretty much free shipping on everything as well. Doh't!!!

Volca preorder price from JRRShop is $135 ea, or all three for $359 :shock:

I will be grabbing a trio just for some fun out in the wood or around the campfire. Should make great octatrack food as well.
$359 is insanity

Kenneth
Gear: Nothing I own will make you jealous.
Band: KGB

Post by Kenneth » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:24 pm

shaft9000 wrote:the volca Keys is by far the most interesting and unique of the 3
Totally agree with you. Keys is numero uno on my list, not sure about the other two. I want to get an MS-20mini at some point, but there's no sense in not getting the Volca at $150 first. I was really impressed, not by the sonic flexibility of the unit, but by the depth of character it seemed to posess. It seems most synthesizer makers are not so concerned with character these days, but that's what I find refreshing about what Korg has been up to over the past few years. Loads of character coming out of that company.
Comparison is the thief of joy.

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:46 pm

Kidney05 wrote:
Sir Nose wrote:I haven't found better prices on new gear than JRR shop. The communicate well and have a brick and mortar store. If a product does not have a listed discount they always offer a 10% off new customer discount and there is a 10% off return customer discount included with gear delivered. Pretty much free shipping on everything as well. Doh't!!!

Volca preorder price from JRRShop is $135 ea, or all three for $359 :shock:

I will be grabbing a trio just for some fun out in the wood or around the campfire. Should make great octatrack food as well.
$359 is insanity
Definitely, it's like getting all three for the price of two. Just placed my preorder with them as well. Now comes the insanity of having to wait till Summer.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:39 pm

Z wrote:The JP-4's arpeggiator easily syncs to the MonoTribe:
[youtube][/youtube]

I got MF to match JRRShop.com's price on the bundle. YeeHaw!

Dude thanks for the video demo. Nice sounds too, btw.

Even though the Volcas are coming, I might still pick up a Monotribe if I find one cheap...
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Jaytee

Post by Jaytee » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:02 am

Man, I just can't wait to hook all three of these up with a Monotribe. It sounds as though they will accept midi sync, which will make for an elegant solution to integrating the Monotribe into a DAW set up, but on the other hand, it's going to be really fun putting together an entire set with just the four hardware boxes.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:06 pm

I started to think I wanted to start trying to make music again and couldn't find anything cheap enough that met my criteria other than the Korg EMX-1... which I'm bored with. I figured that if I wasn't willing to spend the cash or if the EMX-1 wasn't good enough, I really wasn't that interested in making music again yet. Then my friend told me about these boxes. I ordered all three for $359.20 shipped and figure by the time they arrive, I may be ready again. If I'm not, then no big deal to sell them all and not lose much. Also, not much invested if I want to keep them and let them collect dust between minimal use.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:46 pm

Not seen you round these parts for a while mate.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:09 am

JESUS CHRIST IS THAT JSROCKIT?

We thought you were dead.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:58 am

ROCKIT?!?!?! WHAT?!?!?! How did he escape from The Pod?!?!

CURSE YOU, ROCKIT!!!

I'll bet Tekken had something to do with this ... he'll rue the day he crossed the LMS ...
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:55 pm

shaft9000 wrote:the volca Keys is by far the most interesting and unique of the 3
It interests me more than the Volca Bass for sure.

and damn, JSRockIt back in the house. :geek:
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:42 pm

Enjoyed this "Korg" video with it's Roland logo. ;)

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:34 am

now I dont feel so bad for giving my monotron to my little nephew.
These look cheap fun limited (in a good way) and above all portable.
OTOH I really need to focus on making music with what I got, and somehow getting some aircon in my studio.
Today was murder when everything was turned on and I was blasting.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

xanadu97
Gear: DIY Modular
Monotron

Post by xanadu97 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:24 am

I just found this. The sound quality is terrible, but it at least shows you can do something with it other than make annoying sequences.

xanadu97
Gear: DIY Modular
Monotron

Post by xanadu97 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:31 am

This one has better sound, the solo on the Keys starts at about 1:18.