New analog boxes from Korg?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Re: New analog boxes from Korg?

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:06 am

JRR just sent me a shipping confirmation... which is great, except I called them ages ago to see if I could change my order (decided I just wanted three Keys, instead of one of each) and they never called back. Oh well. I'm sure they'll be fun, but anyone want to trade? :lol:
Do you even post on vse bro?

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:43 pm

JRR shop sent me my tracking too. Have to wait until next week for delivery. Should be fun to finally get all three.

Of course I will use the beats first... :)
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:39 am

My Volca keys was waiting at home for me this afternoon. First impression of just playing it is that as a straight synth module it is not that great. Not replacing the mfb or mono lancet any time soon. Gotta take it with me tomorrow and mess with the sequencer some.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:29 am

I got the Beats and the Keys today :D , the Bass comes Monday :evil: . The sequencer really brings the Volca Keys to life. I was a bit underwhelmed at first too but the more I use them the more awesome I realized they are, especially together :friends:

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:25 pm

I agree. Sequenced it is much better but, oddly, for me it's not nearly as fun or as grab-and-go as a Monotribe. The two together are more fun, but I will more than likely move the Volca along to someone else.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:38 am

Got mine today, all three from MF. Impressions so far:
The little speaker sucks. Can't say I like that. Good in a jam, but I know it'll be a nuisance rigging these all up with 1/8 to 1/4, and I know that it doesn't output very loud over those either...

The bass is the most underwhelming, and the keys is my surprise favorite. Love that you can control the loop size with that, so you can actually put osmething cool together. The features aren't so straightforward on a couple of them, so I know i'll be reading the manual. So far though, very fun. Worth the money. 2 Keys could be a smash hit as a cheap polysynth.

pinksoir
Gear: Korg Volca Keys,
Korg Polysix,
Roland JX3P,
Teisco SX-400 ,
Yamaha CS-15,
Yamaha SK20.
Band: Bear Worship

Post by pinksoir » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:12 pm

Mine arrived today (Volca Keys). The delivery dude just left it outside on the doorstep!

I gotta say, this thing is lots of fun. I've only really played around with it through its own speaker but I hope to have a good go at it through my DAW later. It's really quite versatile for the size of it and I can see myself using it a h**l of a lot. I'm not too pushed on the phrase sequencing aspect of it, but I'm really digging the sounds, especially the ring mod. The filter is really cool and it's the only self oscillating one I own. LOVE the filter!The LFO is really great as it goes into the audio range which allows for a ton of extra sounds.

The slight downside is that there's no square wave so to speak of, but I did find a work around. In poly ring mod mode, the basic oscillator is a square wave so you can play it monophonically and you get the square wave. No portamento or anything, but it's there.

Another downside is the knobs; they're a bit too small for live tweaking after being used to more substantial knobs and sliders. Though they shouldn't be too much of a problem once I get used to them. They also feel a little flimsy.

I paid for this a long time ago so it felt great to finally get it. I was worried I'd feel let down, but at twice the price this'd still be a cool buy (though the price point it's at makes it almost a no brainer buy). Highly recommended. Korg are in a great position to release a 6 or 8 voice polyphonic synth (module or keyboard) after this. It could be a simple architecture, knob per function kind of thing. I'd buy it in a heartbeat even if it only sounded as good as this yoke. Some nice full size knobs would be vital to get the most out of it. And a square wave.
"I think it would be egotistical of me to say, 'I thought of it'. What happened is, I opened my mind up and the idea came through and into my head." - Bob Moog

samaepstein
Gear: Realistic mg1
Juno 106
Modded monotribe
Dr110
Tr505
Foogers
Rhodes
Wurlitzer
Hammond
Band: Peekaboo Streetsweeper

Post by samaepstein » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:08 pm

Having a weird issue with my volca keys sync input? Behaving really erratically and won't sync correctly to my beats or bass. Also seems to be passing audio through the sync cable? For example whatever I have synced to the keys, the keys will come through the mixer channel of that device as well as the intended sound. Strange. Anyone?

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:09 am

I am loving the beats it sounds great on real speakers, I really like the stutter function it really adds another dimension to the sound.

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Post by c-level » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:47 am

pinksoir wrote: Highly recommended. Korg are in a great position to release a 6 or 8 voice polyphonic synth (module or keyboard) after this. It could be a simple architecture, knob per function kind of thing. I'd buy it in a heartbeat even if it only sounded as good as this yoke. Some nice full size knobs would be vital to get the most out of it. And a square wave.
you mean the radias? :lol: ;) :lol:

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:33 am

Heck, just re-release the Polysix with MIDI...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

pinksoir
Gear: Korg Volca Keys,
Korg Polysix,
Roland JX3P,
Teisco SX-400 ,
Yamaha CS-15,
Yamaha SK20.
Band: Bear Worship

Post by pinksoir » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:34 pm

A Polysix would be cool, but I'd prefer something new. An 8 voice would be cool as there's be potential to stack oscillators for 4 voice, 2 VCO polyphony. Which would be amazing. Anyway, that's all up to Korg. I'm sure if they do go that way it'll be great. I had so much fun with the Keys last night hooked up to my monitors. Great bass and that filter is really versatile, such a cool range of sounds. I kept finding new and interesting timbres. I got a ton of inspiration for songs from it. Which is what it's all about really.
"I think it would be egotistical of me to say, 'I thought of it'. What happened is, I opened my mind up and the idea came through and into my head." - Bob Moog

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:31 pm

Given what they did with the MS-20 I'm optimistic about their future direction, whatever it is :)

Just wish Roland would get the message...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

jcn7
Gear: K2500, Vsynth, Karp, Prophecy, Volcas, Monotribes, Oasys PCI, Oberheim Matrix, SEMs, Nord Drums, Microbrute, Yamaha EX5R, + multiple Euro modulars.

Post by jcn7 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:53 pm

Just got the Bass and Beats...my keys are still on BO...great products! Here is a quick something I did last night:

or here: https://soundcloud.com/jcn7/volca-beats ... s-cool-and

The Bass is being run through my Sherman Filter Bank 2 as well as a bit of Vox delay Lab.

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:37 am

Nice work, jcn7! Here's a little something that I put together last night using Bass and Beats. It's run through Ableton and there's a little reverb and delay. The only thing that isn't Volca is the snare and clap that I added to supplement the Beats. It's from the 909 kit in Ableton.

My only beef so far is that the snare is pretty weak on the Beats. And the output seemed lower than it should be with the entire machine (at least when compared to the Bass). Anyway, here's the track. It's also my very first recording, ever.