New analog boxes from Korg?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Solyaris

Re: New analog boxes from Korg?

Post by Solyaris » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:55 pm

I think if Korg went so far as to make a keyboard poly based on the Volcas they would want to make it polyphonic instead of paraphonic, which means there'd basically be six volca keys, one for each voice to make 6 voice polyphony. Which would make the production total $550 and using Sourwookie's equations would end up being $1155. But I could see it ending up maybe $999?

sourwookie
Gear: ARP Solus, Roland SH-201, Korg MS2000, Nord Electro 3, Volca Keys and Beats,Roland Juno D

Post by sourwookie » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:29 pm

A chance for me to learn something here: straighten me out on paraphonic vs. polyphonic?

Solyaris

Post by Solyaris » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:55 pm

My understanding is that paraphonic synths share the same VCF, EG, and VCA etc... For example, if you look at the Volca Keys' specs: "3VCO, 1VCF, 1VCA, 1EG". That's obviously paraphonic. You may have the ability to play 3 different notes, but the sound is all being shaped by 1 VCF, 1 EG, and 1 VCA. If they Keys were truly polyphonic then you'd have 3 of each. Many polyphonic analogue synths have it where one knob controls the other voice's parameters simultaneously (like the filter), but you can look at synths like the Oberheim 4-voice or Vermona's Perfourmer where you actually have to adjust the parameters of each voice individually. Hope that makes sense and I got it right!

sourwookie
Gear: ARP Solus, Roland SH-201, Korg MS2000, Nord Electro 3, Volca Keys and Beats,Roland Juno D

Post by sourwookie » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:49 pm

So a Juno 6 would fall under "paraphonic", right?

Solyaris

Post by Solyaris » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:44 pm

A Juno-6 would be polyphonic, I believe. There isn't too many paraphonic only synthesizers that I know of. You can look at this way: say a synthesizer has 6 voices and you strike 6 keys in rapid succession. 6 individual notes would need to sound that each has their own filter, vca, and envelopes to create a consistent set of voices.

cgren72

Post by cgren72 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:00 pm

Solyaris wrote:A Juno-6 would be polyphonic, I believe. There isn't too many paraphonic only synthesizers that I know of. You can look at this way: say a synthesizer has 6 voices and you strike 6 keys in rapid succession. 6 individual notes would need to sound that each has their own filter, vca, and envelopes to create a consistent set of voices.
The poly-800 is paraphonic. It has one filter for all of its voices. Paraphonic isn't a bad thing. It just acts a little different with the filter envelope affecting all voices after the first key is engaged.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:50 pm

burnsjed wrote:My order has just been pushed back to 10/04/2013 !
I spoke to them on the phone yesterday, as they cancel your preorder otherwise after a certain amount of time, and no mention of that!
Musician's Friend? That happened to me last year with my MiniBrute, but I raised h**l with them and they put me back in queue. I noticed that MF's website was showing ETA for October for new orders, so I called today to make sure I'm still in line. They said "yes" and should ship around July 31 (supposed to receive them on the 29th and another day or so to process orders and such). I'm not holding my breath, though. I'll get them when I get them.

sourwookie

Post by sourwookie » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:35 am

So the Juno 6 has six seperate VCFs then, but they're all under the same slider control--acting as one?

Solyaris

Post by Solyaris » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:13 am

Exactly. I'm not familiar with the Juno-6 circuitry but that sounds right.

burnsjed
Gear: DSI Evolver Keyboard
Moog Minataur
Korg MS-20
Roland M-BD1
E-mu Vintage Keys
Procussion
Proteus 1

Post by burnsjed » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:10 pm

Z wrote:
burnsjed wrote:My order has just been pushed back to 10/04/2013 !
I spoke to them on the phone yesterday, as they cancel your preorder otherwise after a certain amount of time, and no mention of that!
Musician's Friend? That happened to me last year with my MiniBrute, but I raised h**l with them and they put me back in queue. I noticed that MF's website was showing ETA for October for new orders, so I called today to make sure I'm still in line. They said "yes" and should ship around July 31 (supposed to receive them on the 29th and another day or so to process orders and such). I'm not holding my breath, though. I'll get them when I get them.

Yep, my order is with Musicians Friend.

jcn7
Gear: K2500, Vsynth, Karp, Prophecy, Volcas, Monotribes, Oasys PCI, Oberheim Matrix, SEMs, Nord Drums, Microbrute, Yamaha EX5R, + multiple Euro modulars.

Post by jcn7 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:54 pm

Check this video out...

Okay...now that's what I've been looking for!

Think of each Volca Keys as an OBXa voice card inside an OBXa...

Now think of daisy chaining 4 or more of these through midi with a Mutable Instruments Midipal, which will give you polyphony/splits/chord function/etc...and all under control of a midi knobby keyboard...now assign each controller knob to each of the midi controllable parameters such as the Osc/filter/LFO, etc...and now you've got a VERY inexpensive 4 voice! (except for patch storage)

I'm buying 4 of these!

Thank you Korg!!!

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:16 pm

So much nicer than I could ever imagine a sub-$200 analog synthesizer module could ever be.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:25 pm

jcn7 wrote:and now you've got a VERY inexpensive 4 voice! (except for patch storage)
Actually, patch storage is indeed possible since each knob responds to MIDI CC. Someone just needs to write a program similar to the MTribe software for the Monotribe to make it easy to do. Also, not sure if such a thing exists, but if there's a MIDI controller that can save and reload CC positions, that could work for patch storage as well.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:04 pm

Re-Member wrote:
jcn7 wrote:and now you've got a VERY inexpensive 4 voice! (except for patch storage)
Actually, patch storage is indeed possible since each knob responds to MIDI CC. Someone just needs to write a program similar to the MTribe software for the Monotribe to make it easy to do. Also, not sure if such a thing exists, but if there's a MIDI controller that can save and reload CC positions, that could work for patch storage as well.
If the MIDI implementation chart is accurate, some knobs (such as resonance) do not respond to MIDI CC.

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:19 pm

Ah, didn't notice that. There's CC for cutoff, but you are correct, nothing for resonance. Just had a deeper look at the MTribe software and even that's missing full CC control for the filter.