New analog boxes from Korg?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
kpliver

Re: New analog boxes from Korg?

Post by kpliver » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:18 am

Official: http://korg.com/volcaseries

$150 each (!!!) according to Synthtopia

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:26 am

Em Pe Ge wrote:so glad to see they have midi in.. that's the reason why i never got a monotron, or monotribe.

curious to see how these turn out, they look very nice.
Yeah +1 on that, finally not confined to the awkward onboard "keyboard".

But damn, just when I was happy not getting any more gadgets :lol:

These look awesome fun little machines 8-)

kpliver

Post by kpliver » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:39 am

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:48 am

The specification states 3 parts for the Volca Bass...?

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:13 am

Hybrid88 wrote: But damn, just when I was happy not getting any more gadgets :lol:
Right !
Still waiting on my ms20mini and subphatty to ship and now these .... and of course "I have to collect em all " .
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

mute

Post by mute » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:15 am

more details and all the pics @ CDM http://createdigitalmusic.com/2013/04/1 ... tails-pics

I notice that the individual sounds on the volca beats don't have volume pots, but there is a 'Part Level' control..

edit: ahah.. there is a part selection LED below each sound, like the pad leds when you select a pad on an electribe

wonder how that is going to function. it's got a 909 vibe going on with the analogue/pcm mix..
kick, snare, cl/oh, lt/ht + pcm: clap, clave, agogo, crash (with pcm speed/pitch control, nice).

the more I stare at these things, the more I realize they have full electribe style control.. motion control (and some stutter record variation)

Apparently the filter on the Keys is "from the miniKORG700S, the 1974 Korg model" - who's got some opinion/details on this? There's really no details on the filter that's on the volca bass.. I would be surprised if it was the 700s filter and not the ms20 filter or some new ladder/diode type filter.. I mean, its supposed to be an x0x box so it's gotta scream.. can't imagine the 700s filter screams..

edit: ahah x2, it volca bass does use the 700s filter and it does sound pretty damn wet/funky and that multiple oscs... pretty damn unique bass box ;)

Anyways, this is absolutely nuts.. the prices for these units is INSANE.

I don't know what to say about Korg anymore.. I mean seriously.. how can you compliment a company that does something like this out of the blue after they have already released or announced the stuff they have in the past couple years? Total shocker. So F'ing cool....

Also, I wonder if the sync ports on these will have the hidden CV control that's been revealed to be on the Monotribe.. I also wonder if the sequencer parts send midi out like on the electribes.. portable & small sequencer to hook up to the MS-20mini =) Then again, with these out... maybe they'll just release a midi or cv only version sometime in the not-to-distant future.

edit: no midi out, duh

Also, Also... I hate to bring up Roland here.. but I'm going to. The fact that Korg is knick'ing the styling of the x0x boxes is hilarious and very in your face... lol. Roland can't ignore this stuff forever - eventually they have to notice what their competitors are doing and getting all the buzz for. Its remarkable how stupid they are by missing all the free PR that currently exists around new analogue devices. Personally, I hope they miss the boat and by the time they get on board it'll be old hat. Korg deserves the attention for having the balls and clear marketing sensibility.
Last edited by mute on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:34 am

Multiple Korgasm!

(Korg if you're reading you can pay me to use that, or hire me as a demonstrator that would be cool. I'm available, let's talk. Luv ya.)

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:41 am

Another vid in :)

mute

Post by mute » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:54 am

appears they're a bit larger in size (good thing!) than the impression just images give.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:55 am

If these were Roland they'd all have a d-beam.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:17 pm

Did anyone notice that he said WIST is a feature so that means you can sync these with all the KORG iPad Apps and any others that support KORG's synchronizing system. That's....oh my....

I think they have just ushered in a new era.
I mean, I remember using a chain of electribes....
This is such a return, but fully analog.
So much more affordable too.

I hate the keyboarded plates, but for somewhere around $150 these are a collectible line of products.
I wish I could go back in time and have these new products as my introduction.
I have no room or need, but when something this cool comes along, I am FORCED to be a part of this history.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

mute

Post by mute » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:28 pm

stutter is like flam with speed and decay/release (a decaying retrig/multitap)

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:26 pm

mute wrote: Also, Also... I hate to bring up Roland here.. but I'm going to. The fact that Korg is knick'ing the styling of the x0x boxes is hilarious and very in your face... lol. Roland can't ignore this stuff forever - eventually they have to notice what their competitors are doing and getting all the buzz for. Its remarkable how stupid they are by missing all the free PR that currently exists around new analogue devices. Personally, I hope they miss the boat and by the time they get on board it'll be old hat. Korg deserves the attention for having the balls and clear marketing sensibility.
I actually predict Roland pulling out of synth business all together.

Their current line up is starting to be dated and the latest offerings haven't proved to be popular.

They either going to have to make what people want as opposed to being arrogant and making what they want since they think its futuristic and all and done right or else more losses (that's if they have made losses on synths)

sourwookie
Gear: ARP Solus, Roland SH-201, Korg MS2000, Nord Electro 3, Volca Keys and Beats,Roland Juno D

Post by sourwookie » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:05 pm

That VolcaKeys velcro'd to the top of my Nord Electro with a 1' MIDI cable would get me tweakable synth functionality without hassling with a dual keyboard rig on a gig!

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:58 pm

Griifin I'm fairly certain the WIST support mentioned would be via the Korg Sync iOS app. Which is cool but also entirely to be expected.