New analog boxes from Korg?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
User avatar
Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 1834
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:48 pm
Band: Cumulus

Re: New analog boxes from Korg?

Post by Cumulus » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:06 pm

What a crappy game. It's right up there with the Atari 2600 version of Pac-Man.

Infinity Curve
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 474
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:21 pm
Real name: Cody
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve
Location: Toronto Canada

Re: New analog boxes from Korg?

Post by Infinity Curve » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:47 pm

Walter Ego wrote:Man there's a lot of negativity aimed at Korg for the delays...

Did you really think those release dates were set in stone? It's not going to sound any worse a month or two from now. What's the rush? It's like trying to predict the weather. Plus, I would rather have quality than something rushed through production that's not really ready. (like E.T. the videogame, for example...)
It's not an issue of rushing production though, they are out in Japan, so it's not like they are still fine tuning things before they release them.

User avatar
Walter Ego
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 897
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:17 pm
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS
Location: Near Boston

Re: New analog boxes from Korg?

Post by Walter Ego » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:56 pm

Infinity Curve wrote:It's not an issue of rushing production though, they are out in Japan, so it's not like they are still fine tuning things before they release them.
Well right, but I think I read somewhere that part of the MS-20 mini delay was that they underestimated the time it would take to check each unit as it has more finely tuned components than a digital creation. Why wouldn't it be the same issue this time?

And the date thing is kind of silly. People should know not to take those target dates too seriously.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

User avatar
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3911
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:15 pm
Location: New York City

Re: New analog boxes from Korg?

Post by JSRockit » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:13 pm

Walter Ego wrote:Man there's a lot of negativity aimed at Korg for the delays...

Did you really think those release dates were set in stone? It's not going to sound any worse a month or two from now. What's the rush? It's like trying to predict the weather. Plus, I would rather have quality than something rushed through production that's not really ready. (like E.T. the videogame, for example...)
I always thought it was good to underpromise and overdeliver. Korg has done the opposite.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

User avatar
Walter Ego
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 897
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:17 pm
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS
Location: Near Boston

Re: New analog boxes from Korg?

Post by Walter Ego » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:52 pm

JSRockit wrote:
Walter Ego wrote:Man there's a lot of negativity aimed at Korg for the delays...

Did you really think those release dates were set in stone? It's not going to sound any worse a month or two from now. What's the rush? It's like trying to predict the weather. Plus, I would rather have quality than something rushed through production that's not really ready. (like E.T. the videogame, for example...)
I always thought it was good to underpromise and overdeliver. Korg has done the opposite.
I think of the application of that rule of thumb for features. I guess the date thing is just not a big deal to me, and I'm willing to let it go but I'm in pretty subjective territory. I understand the frustration.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

User avatar
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3962
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:22 am
Real name: Marc Doty
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial
Location: Tacoma
Contact:

Re: New analog boxes from Korg?

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:09 am

Walter Ego wrote:Man there's a lot of negativity aimed at Korg for the delays...
Well, the Delay is really crunchy and gritty... definitely lo-fi. But I find it pleasing for that reason. I think it really suits an analog sound. I think if people were just...

Oh, that's not what you meant.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

User avatar
Kenneth
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 328
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:57 am
Real name: Kenneth
Gear: Nothing I own will make you jealous.
Band: KGB
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Re: New analog boxes from Korg?

Post by Kenneth » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:43 pm

supermel74 wrote:If the delays continue we should send Korg a message with an American boycott. Treating their biggest consumer market like second class citizens should not be tolerated. We can make Korg and we can break Korg. Check yourself before you wreck yourself Korg. :twisted:
Dude... Come on. You're acting like Korg has withheld your water supply or something. STARVING KIDS IN AFRICA.
Comparison is the thief of joy.

User avatar
Walter Ego
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 897
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:17 pm
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS
Location: Near Boston

Re: New analog boxes from Korg?

Post by Walter Ego » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:07 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
Walter Ego wrote:Man there's a lot of negativity aimed at Korg for the delays...
Well, the Delay is really crunchy and gritty... definitely lo-fi. But I find it pleasing for that reason. I think it really suits an analog sound. I think if people were just...

Oh, that's not what you meant.
Yes well, while we're on the subject, how do you find the delay on the Volca Keys compares to the spacey digital delay on the Monotron Delay? I use that one all the time to process other instruments and I like the grittiness/lo-fi feel. Do you think it's the same delay?
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

User avatar
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3962
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:22 am
Real name: Marc Doty
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial
Location: Tacoma
Contact:

Re: New analog boxes from Korg?

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:36 pm

Walter Ego wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:
Walter Ego wrote:Man there's a lot of negativity aimed at Korg for the delays...
Well, the Delay is really crunchy and gritty... definitely lo-fi. But I find it pleasing for that reason. I think it really suits an analog sound. I think if people were just...

Oh, that's not what you meant.
Yes well, while we're on the subject, how do you find the delay on the Volca Keys compares to the spacey digital delay on the Monotron Delay? I use that one all the time to process other instruments and I like the grittiness/lo-fi feel. Do you think it's the same delay?
To be honest, my son has the Monotron Delay, and I've only played with it very rarely. I'm not sure!
But you're saying "grittiness" and "lo-fi." That is the perfect description of this delay. I really love it.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

User avatar
Kenneth
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 328
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:57 am
Real name: Kenneth
Gear: Nothing I own will make you jealous.
Band: KGB
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Re: New analog boxes from Korg?

Post by Kenneth » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:01 am

Walter Ego wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:
Walter Ego wrote:Man there's a lot of negativity aimed at Korg for the delays...
Well, the Delay is really crunchy and gritty... definitely lo-fi. But I find it pleasing for that reason. I think it really suits an analog sound. I think if people were just...

Oh, that's not what you meant.
Yes well, while we're on the subject, how do you find the delay on the Volca Keys compares to the spacey digital delay on the Monotron Delay? I use that one all the time to process other instruments and I like the grittiness/lo-fi feel. Do you think it's the same delay?
Monotron Delay sounds awesome. It is the very paragon of what I like in a delay (minus tap tempo). I hope Volca Keys just uses the same delay, because that's what I have been imagining and it has me excited beyond logic or reason.
Comparison is the thief of joy.

User avatar
megamanx
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 838
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 4:39 am
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Re: New analog boxes from Korg?

Post by megamanx » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:02 am

Sweetwater called me yesterday, and told me that they "might" arrive in mid to late October...

User avatar
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3911
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:15 pm
Location: New York City

Re: New analog boxes from Korg?

Post by JSRockit » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:57 pm

megamanx wrote:Sweetwater called me yesterday, and told me that they "might" arrive in mid to late October...
Jeez, that'll be a full 6 month since I ordered. A 6 month wait is acceptable from a guy in his basement making hand made synths or for something custom made, but for a huge company? Seems a little ridiculous that they keep pushing the date back by months.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

User avatar
Walter Ego
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 897
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:17 pm
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS
Location: Near Boston

Re: New analog boxes from Korg?

Post by Walter Ego » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:55 pm

Kenneth wrote:it has me excited beyond logic or reason.
But does it have you excited beyond Live or Reaper?
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

User avatar
Re-Member
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 316
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:44 pm
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin
Location: PDX

Re: New analog boxes from Korg?

Post by Re-Member » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:59 pm

JSRockit wrote:
megamanx wrote:Sweetwater called me yesterday, and told me that they "might" arrive in mid to late October...
Jeez, that'll be a full 6 month since I ordered. A 6 month wait is acceptable from a guy in his basement making hand made synths or for something custom made, but for a huge company? Seems a little ridiculous that they keep pushing the date back by months.
Korg hasn't given any official set-in-stone release date, so they're really not at fault. The retailers keep making up random dates and then changing them because they haven't the slightest clue when Korg will actually send them the units. In fact, any release date you see online is subject to change till you get the final word saying they are on the way, so it seems more ridiculous to assume there's some kind of "delay" when there has been no official date listed on Korg's website.

User avatar
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3911
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:15 pm
Location: New York City

Re: New analog boxes from Korg?

Post by JSRockit » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:57 pm

Re-Member wrote: Korg hasn't given any official set-in-stone release date, so they're really not at fault.
Korg doesn't tell the retailers anything? I find that hard to believe.
The retailers keep making up random dates and then changing them because they haven't the slightest clue when Korg will actually send them the units.
What makes you think this?
In fact, any release date you see online is subject to change till you get the final word saying they are on the way, so it seems more ridiculous to assume there's some kind of "delay" when there has been no official date listed on Korg's website.
Ok sir, you are the boss.

By the way, they've arrived in the US and some NY stores have them on the bay already. Should be only days to find out who has what accross the USA.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Post Reply