New analog boxes from Korg?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Re: New analog boxes from Korg?

Post by Re-Member » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:27 pm

JSRockit wrote:Korg doesn't tell the retailers anything? I find that hard to believe.
I'm sure Korg will give them an estimated date if they ask, but again, the key word here is that it is estimated till Korg actually sends them a shipping notification. I've worked in retail (electronics) and is typically how most products are handled unless it's something like a movie or video game that is easy to manufacture and hit a projected date. At that point, the retailer has to keep off the shelves until that specific date.

If you've been following this thread since it started, there's been dozens of posts popping up every other day about how some random retailer says it's coming out some random date for the past six months. Seeing how these dates have changed over and over again ad nauseum, the fact that they are finally coming out hitting the US now is merely a coincidence.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:35 pm

Walter Ego wrote:
Kenneth wrote:it has me excited beyond logic or reason.
But does it have you excited beyond Live or Reaper?
Haha! :-D

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:24 pm

A) is that sig accurate- that you own... No synths?
How is that possible? Lol and

b)yeah, this was just posted on the KORG Facebook page-

They're heeeeerrreeee! Our first batch of Volcas is starting to leave our warehouse at Korg USA and heading to our dealers!

Follow us on Instagram @korgofficial!
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:35 pm

griffin avid wrote:A) is that sig accurate- that you own... No synths?
How is that possible? Lol and
Yes, it's true. I took a long break from making music and sold all of my gear. Now I'm ready to get back into it and want to start with these korg boxes before blowing my wad on more expensive stuff.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:45 pm

Ah yes, I did not clearly see your screen name before...
Pardon the interview about to happen, but I think this topic has surely served it's purpose by now....
and can afford a small tangent.

1) Why stop and did you know you were going to sell it all when you started scaling back?
2) Why or how did you you decide to start up again and....
3) Why the Volcas as a starting point as opposed to any previous gear you owned or some kind of singular entry piece or, better yet, something you might have considered redundant with your previous set up?

On topic and I ask because at the beginning I was PSYCHED for these babies-
like OMG KORG ANALOG stuffs, but then I sorta see some limitations- like I'm not really buying an analogue drum machine - it's more like a stocking-stuffer, but now my interest has risen again and I'm wondering what I could do with a pared down set up of stringed-together-units....
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:45 pm

griffin avid wrote: 1) Why stop and did you know you were going to sell it all when you started scaling back?
I stopped because I was not enjoying it... I was taking it too seriously and with my skill level, I was not ready for seriousness. I also hate recording...
2) Why or how did you you decide to start up again and....
I just feel I have relaxed, I have lowered any expectations I may have foolishly had, and I am ready to just enjoy making some songs.
3) Why the Volcas as a starting point as opposed to any previous gear you owned or some kind of singular entry piece or, better yet, something you might have considered redundant with your previous set up?
The last machine I was using was the Korg EMX-1. I got bored of it and didn't want to go back to using it. I'm also not into computers for music right now. I knew I wanted some TR style programming, but I didn't want to spend a few thousand getting stuff like TB-303 clones, TR drum machines, etc. Once these Korg machines came out, they seemed to fit the bill and were cheap. AND if I end up not being into making music again, they were cheap and easily sellable. I ordered them when I was still on my break, but now I'm ready. I thought they'd be here by now. The truth is that I've been waiting for something like these Volcas for awhile. I wasn't looking at gear at all, but when the Volcas came out a friend told me that he thought I'd be really interested so I looked. He was right... I had been discussing boxes like this for a long time with him.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Solyaris

Post by Solyaris » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:17 am

Automatic Gainsay's latest Volca video is excellent!

He appears to be showing the Volca Bass for what it is and its strengths rather than evaluating it as just a bass machine or worse as some kind of pseudo-TB-303 clone (which you can't blame many people for doing considering the way the layout was designed). Some really appealing sounds.

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:48 am

that video just cost me more money, thanks...

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:11 am

I was thinking of getting the bass, but now not so sure - I do like the sound of the pads on the keys. hmm... :geek:

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:28 pm

I bought a Volca Keys yesterday from proaudiostar on EBay. They have them on hand and are selling them at $149 postpaid. I already have a tracking number. So...looks like Korg has finally been able to get some to America.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:09 pm

Here's something I was unaware of

The recommended power supply for either three of the Korg Volca series analogue modules is the Korg KA-350.

If you have more than one Volca module, you can also power them all from one power supply by daisy-chaining them together with a Visual Sound One Spot or similar power supply.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1Spot9v

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:55 pm

Just remember to get the daisy chain cable when you do! ^
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:28 am

Blue Monster 65 wrote:Just remember to get the daisy chain cable when you do! ^
how does that work?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:30 am

supermel74 wrote:
Blue Monster 65 wrote:Just remember to get the daisy chain cable when you do! ^
how does that work?
Plug the power supply into the daisy chain cable, plug the daisy chain outputs into the power inputs of the volcas. Pretty much the only thing you can do with a daisy chain cable.

aяjok

Post by aяjok » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:50 am

I got the Beats last week and I'm very happy with it. The knobs allow for a reasonable variation on each drum sound, and programming the steps is tactile and intuitive. The knobs themselves do feel a bit cheap, but the overall build quality of the device is good, especially for the price.

It was easy to synch the Beats with both my MoPho keys and my Microkorg (via Midi using either of those devices as master clock) - this was the big appeal for me, an inexpensive hardware drum machine that I can use with a sequence or an arpeggio for live jamming sessions. The Volca Beats fits the bill admirably.

So far I don't have plans to buy the lead or bass, but let's see.