New analog boxes from Korg?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Re: New analog boxes from Korg?

Post by loungedumore » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:21 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
supermel74 wrote:
Blue Monster 65 wrote:Just remember to get the daisy chain cable when you do! ^
how does that work?
Plug the power supply into the daisy chain cable, plug the daisy chain outputs into the power inputs of the volcas. Pretty much the only thing you can do with a daisy chain cable.
I bought 3 ka350 alternatives from an ebay store called inside computer for like $28 . It was a bit of a gamble as they don't have very good rep outside of ebay ,but I got them and they work . Wish I had known about that daisy chain plug though .... Dose it have the strange 2.5 in 3.5 out barrel korg used ?
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

jcn7
Gear: K2500, Vsynth, Karp, Prophecy, Volcas, Monotribes, Oasys PCI, Oberheim Matrix, SEMs, Nord Drums, Microbrute, Yamaha EX5R, + multiple Euro modulars.

Post by jcn7 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:35 pm

Well, I ended up ordering 2 Volca Keys (may do 2 more) and a Volca Bass and Beats. As I have been thinking about these small wonders, I had the thought, wouldn't it be cool if they made a "string" synth like all the old strings synthesizers of the 70's as a new volca product in the future. There are so many mono synths out there now, and a few poly's but no one has re-introduced a string machine. I think if Korg could make a Volca sized and priced string machine, it would sell like hotcakes. Just my 2cent thought though...

PS...maybe they will also come out with a Volca sized mixer for those who have bought multiple Volcas...it would be very handy!

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:55 pm

So can someone show me what I should buy to daisychain the power supplies? that's actually super nifty. I'd rather not suck up 3 plugs for these.

I'm holding out hope that because this week it still says 10/4 on GC and MF that they won't be pushed back!!! Usually when they give up and push back they do it the week before at least.

Voodoo Ray
Gear:
Akai
Waldorf
Roland
Yamaha

Post by Voodoo Ray » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:31 am

jcn7 wrote:Well, I ended up ordering 2 Volca Keys (may do 2 more) and a Volca Bass and Beats. As I have been thinking about these small wonders, I had the thought, wouldn't it be cool if they made a "string" synth like all the old strings synthesizers of the 70's as a new volca product in the future. There are so many mono synths out there now, and a few poly's but no one has re-introduced a string machine. I think if Korg could make a Volca sized and priced string machine, it would sell like hotcakes. Just my 2cent thought though...

PS...maybe they will also come out with a Volca sized mixer for those who have bought multiple Volcas...it would be very handy!
Pretty sure they could introduce some of those modules to the line up at a later date. Why not?

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:38 am

Muhahahahahahahahaha!

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:59 am

Just ordered all 3. Does anybody know if they come with the sync cables?

Rooftree

Post by Rooftree » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:56 am

Be VERY careful if you attempt this. I looked into these ideas a while ago and my conclusion was that it wouldn't work. I could be wrong, so don't let me stop you from pursing this. Here is the understanding that I came away with after doing a lot of research:

1. The polarity of the 1-Spot is opposite that of the KA350. Applyling the opposite polarity power to a device might fry it. It depends on how well the device is protected internally. If you attempt to use the 1-Spot you'll need to add a polarity swapping adapter between it and the daisy chain.

2. The barrel sizes on the daisy chain adapter are nowhere near the right size for the Volca.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I'm setting up a small business to sell customized power supplies for Volcas and I'm looking into the possibility of a custom daisy chain cable that I will sell.
Prophet 08 :: CS-30 :: Odyssey :: Korg 01W :: Juno-60 :: 606 :: Sonar :: soft synths

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:00 am

I thought about daisy chaining but it costs less to just buy 3 plugs. I guess if outlets are hard to come by it might make sense.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:48 am

supermel74 wrote:Just ordered all 3. Does anybody know if they come with the sync cables?
Each one comes with a sync cable!
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:58 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
supermel74 wrote:Just ordered all 3. Does anybody know if they come with the sync cables?
Each one comes with a sync cable!
awesome

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:00 am

Rooftree wrote:
Be VERY careful if you attempt this. I looked into these ideas a while ago and my conclusion was that it wouldn't work. I could be wrong, so don't let me stop you from pursing this. Here is the understanding that I came away with after doing a lot of research:

1. The polarity of the 1-Spot is opposite that of the KA350. Applyling the opposite polarity power to a device might fry it. It depends on how well the device is protected internally. If you attempt to use the 1-Spot you'll need to add a polarity swapping adapter between it and the daisy chain.

2. The barrel sizes on the daisy chain adapter are nowhere near the right size for the Volca.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I'm setting up a small business to sell customized power supplies for Volcas and I'm looking into the possibility of a custom daisy chain cable that I will sell.
If they truly are the opposite polarity, then order the 1-Spot, the five-chain, plus three of these: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1SpotCYR/

Or you can wait 'til Rooftree gets his power supplies up and running and get them from him.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:46 pm

I just got an email from Musician's Friend that my order (from April) just shipped. Woo hoo!

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:20 pm

I'm still waiting on the JRR Shop to ship... they do not seem to be in a hurry. sigh.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:32 pm

Supposed to have mine Friday but UPS now says Monday.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:35 pm

JSRockit wrote:I'm still waiting on the JRR Shop to ship... they do not seem to be in a hurry. sigh.
Been there many times man. It's funny how how after the money has changed hands people aren't too bothered when it comes to sending things quickly. :evil: