New analog boxes from Korg?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
philip

Re: New analog boxes from Korg?

Post by philip » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:00 pm

Korg rules! Fantastic

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:57 pm

3 voice polyphonic? :shock:

Wonder what real US price will be, euro/pound conversion is about $200.

Wonder how limited the MIDI will be...

The LEDs in the plastic knobs is kewl, wonder how robust they are :?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:02 pm

meatballfulton wrote:3 voice polyphonic? :shock:

Wonder what real US price will be, euro/pound conversion is about $200.

Wonder how limited the MIDI will be...

The LEDs in the plastic knobs is kewl, wonder how robust they are :?
The US price will be $150. No joke. Half the opening street price of the Monotribe.

The knobs will be about as robust as the knobs on the Monotron probably, since they seem for all appearances to be the same knobs.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Freejack

Post by Freejack » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:33 pm

I'm trying really hard not to develop brand loyalty to any one company, because I generally think it's stupid. However, repeated positive experiences with Korg stuff is making that hard. This is the first time since getting into synths I'm legitimately excited for something new coming out.

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:49 pm

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:33 pm

More must-have gear from Korg.

When does the complaining start?

I mean, these things don't seem to have a decent piano patch...

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:37 pm

Cumulus wrote:More must-have gear from Korg.

When does the complaining start?

I mean, these things don't seem to have a decent piano patch...
Someone on the GS thread is already complaining that the Bass won't do Hammonds and the Beats won't do rock drums. :?:
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:41 pm

I can say I'm happy with this development.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:59 pm

All three for £360 and that's a lot of voices and hands-on control for that much. Limited in some ways but often well chosen limitations are a good thing. Less than half the price of an A4 as well if that's a comparison worth making; which it might be if you find yourself considering one option or the other.

One thing I'm hoping is that the audio output has something like a bypass for the headphone amp when a mono jack is plugged in. Although the amp could add its own character I guess. Korg are usually good with details like that.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:44 pm

mute wrote:Also, Also... I hate to bring up Roland here.. but I'm going to. The fact that Korg is knick'ing the styling of the x0x boxes is hilarious and very in your face... lol. Roland can't ignore this stuff forever - eventually they have to notice what their competitors are doing and getting all the buzz for. Its remarkable how stupid they are by missing all the free PR that currently exists around new analogue devices. Personally, I hope they miss the boat and by the time they get on board it'll be old hat. Korg deserves the attention for having the balls and clear marketing sensibility.
Roland is introducing a hot new Sheet Music Stand with built-in lights, USB ports, and an MP3 player for $900. I'd say they are on top of things :lol:

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:02 pm

I was going to buy a mini MS20 but I may just buy this trio of boxes instead. I love that the jacks are all on top and the boxes look great. The keys one I am buying for sure but despite having so many drum machines I may have to buy this one too.

Korg is really going for it, really trying to corner any mass market that's existing for analog.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:56 pm

$150 each? f**k. YES. :headbang:

Kenneth
Gear: Nothing I own will make you jealous.
Band: KGB

Post by Kenneth » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:53 pm

Korg is so awesome I don't even have a word that can illustrate their coolness. I hope my drool and soaked trousers get the message across.
Comparison is the thief of joy.

elsongs

Post by elsongs » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:56 pm

mute wrote:
Also, Also... I hate to bring up Roland here.. but I'm going to. The fact that Korg is knick'ing the styling of the x0x boxes is hilarious and very in your face... lol. Roland can't ignore this stuff forever - eventually they have to notice what their competitors are doing and getting all the buzz for. Its remarkable how stupid they are by missing all the free PR that currently exists around new analogue devices. Personally, I hope they miss the boat and by the time they get on board it'll be old hat. Korg deserves the attention for having the balls and clear marketing sensibility.
Knowing Roland, they're gonna stick to their guns about not re-visiting their Analog glory days. In the meantime, they'll release some TR/TB x0x product with similar looks as the classic gear that's 100% digital rompler and try to make another buck off of nostalgia.

After the Korg boxes sell hundreds of thousands of units, Roland might slap them with a lawsuit or something, who knows.

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:11 pm

On closer inspection, I'm most excited about the Keys and that will be a for sure purchase. Could probably wait til later to buy used bass and beats.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40