New analog boxes from Korg?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Re: New analog boxes from Korg?

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:28 am

We all knew that the big companies would never dive back into the analog pool, and we were all wrong.
Korg is kicking some serious a*s.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:02 am

The Volca keys is using the Minikorg filter which is actually really novel. Half the fun of that filter is the HP/LP traveler though. They might as well bang out a quick Synthe-Bass and sell it for 250.

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:40 am

Walter Ego wrote:
Cumulus wrote:More must-have gear from Korg.

When does the complaining start?

I mean, these things don't seem to have a decent piano patch...
Someone on the GS thread is already complaining that the Bass won't do Hammonds and the Beats won't do rock drums. :?:
Dumbasses.

bassdude
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by bassdude » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:44 am

Re-Member wrote:
The drum machine is actually four part analog, then the rest are PCM samples.
On Korg's website it lists "analog synthesis" as the synthesizer type for the bass and lead model. It also lists a VCO. So does that mean these things are actually true analog machines for $150? Not a deal-breaker, just curious. These things look rad either way.

xanadu97
Gear: DIY Modular
Monotron

Post by xanadu97 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:59 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:We all knew that the big companies would never dive back into the analog pool, and we were all wrong.
Korg is kicking some serious a*s.
You have to make 20 videos for each of these like you do with everything else. We're expecting it.

moog-lover

Post by moog-lover » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:03 am

I think this is good news, I love analog synths, but... it isn't any advance on musical instruments.
Analog must meet digital, and viceversa.
Maybe this is an starting point to pay attention to analog gear again, and Korg is the only one who think on reasonable prices.

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:50 am

moog-lover wrote:I think this is good news, I love analog synths, but... it isn't any advance on musical instruments.
Maybe this is an starting point to pay attention to analog gear again, and Korg is the only one who think on reasonable prices.
I'd rather them do cheap, and slowly expand upward, then make mid-price stuff that you can only get one of every couple years.

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:55 am

Too bad no MIDI out. It would be nice if we had more choices for MISI hardware sequencers out there, especially for people like me with no money. It will be interesting to see how the pattern change works.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:17 am

bassdude wrote:
Re-Member wrote:
On Korg's website it lists "analog synthesis" as the synthesizer type for the bass and lead model. It also lists a VCO. So does that mean these things are actually true analog machines for $150? Not a deal-breaker, just curious. These things look rad either way.
By "the rest are PCM," I was referring to the other drum parts on the Volca Beats unit. It's half analog, half PCM. Sorry for the confusion there; I did word that in a way that could easily be misinterpreted. The Keys and Bass units are indeed all VCO.

Getting all three myself, no doubt about it. From what I've read, one retailer already put together a preorder bundle package where if you buy all three, you get a discount. Hopefully that will be something most of the major retailers end up doing. Release date is speculated to be sometime this Summer, based on what a rep said in one video.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:47 am

Kidney05 wrote:
moog-lover wrote:I think this is good news, I love analog synths, but... it isn't any advance on musical instruments.
I'd rather them do cheap, and slowly expand upward, then make mid-price stuff that you can only get one of every couple years.
+1, I think that's what they're going for and it's a smart move 8-)

mute

Post by mute » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:37 am

Re-Member wrote:
bassdude wrote:
Re-Member wrote:
By "the rest are PCM," I was referring to the other drum parts on the Volca Beats unit. It's half analog, half PCM. Sorry for the confusion there; I did word that in a way that could easily be misinterpreted. The Keys and Bass units are indeed all VCO.

Getting all three myself, no doubt about it. From what I've read, one retailer already put together a preorder bundle package where if you buy all three, you get a discount. Hopefully that will be something most of the major retailers end up doing. Release date is speculated to be sometime this Summer, based on what a rep said in one video.
It was incredibly smart of them to rip the 909 idea and mix analogue and pcm, with the addition of a PCM speed/pitch control. Very nice. Beats will be the first of all these units I buy.. with the Bass being second.

Also, its 6 part analogue, 4 part PCM. Like a majority of classic analogue drum machines (and vst knock offs) the Toms and Hats are split into individual LT/HT, CH/OH parts.

elsongs

Post by elsongs » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:08 pm

I know no one here owns any of them yet, but if you do know (If yuou're at Musikmesse and played with them), please chime in...

- Are they ANALOG Analog, or do they just have analog filters?

- Does the Volca Beats' kick drum have the ability to go BOOOOOOOOOOM?

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:04 pm

elsongs wrote:
- Are they ANALOG Analog, or do they just have analog filters?

- Does the Volca Beats' kick drum have the ability to go BOOOOOOOOOOM?
They are ANALOG Analog and the Beats has a decay knob for the kick drum so I assume it has the ability to go BOOOOOOOOM...

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:09 pm

Allow me to be the first to suggest that if they can do a three Osc poly for $150 they could probably make an all-analogue four voice microkorg for $500-600. I for one think that would be pretty cool...

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:16 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they came out with a Polyeight or similar after the sales these will get. :)