What will Korg release next?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

What will Korg release next?

Post by Walter Ego » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:46 pm

Soon they're going to run out of things to re-release in a miniature form, so I think next will be the NanoKORG, a shrunken Analog version of the MicroKORG. Oh wait, they just...
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Re: What will Korg release next?

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:36 pm

A polymoog?
Do you even post on vse bro?

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:54 pm

A strain of H2N2 that causes all who are infected to:
  • go mental over largely unimpressive synth hardware
  • run their mouths about how Korg is really in it because they give .0014% of a s**t about the electronic music scene as a whole
  • instantly become an expert about a synth they've never heard nor put finger to
  • rejoice that we're in an analogue renaissance period
  • inhibit vision to include the inability to see a cash grab
this will result in the financial decimation of a few thousand synth nerds worldwide, and eBay servers to overload.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

JayEm
Gear: KorgPoly800 Monotron MonotronDuo MonotronDelay Monotribe VolcaBass MS20Mini MS2000 MFB522 Arturia Minibrute Yamaha CS-15D Tama TechstarTS305
Band: datapark / KNUCKLEFACE / JayEm

Post by JayEm » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:03 pm

w00t

Kenneth
Gear: Nothing I own will make you jealous.
Band: KGB

Post by Kenneth » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:15 pm

silikon wrote:A strain of H2N2 that causes all who are infected to:
  • run their mouths about how Korg is really in it because they give .0014% of a s**t about the electronic music scene as a whole
  • instantly become an expert about a synth they've never heard nor put finger to
this will result in the financial decimation of a few thousand synth nerds worldwide, and eBay servers to overload.
Whoa, someone is being a Negative Nancy, and a Sarcastic Suzie all at once. What is your problem, dude?
Comparison is the thief of joy.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:55 am

You'll learn to love silikon soon enough :drinks:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:30 am

Kenneth wrote:
Whoa, someone is being a Negative Nancy, and a Sarcastic Suzie all at once. What is your problem, dude?
Negativity is good when it imparts some perspective and it is funny.

Infrasound
Gear: Smack, Crack, Acid

Post by Infrasound » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:15 am

A quick cash grab maybe, but a relatively inexpensive one.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.

Post by Walter Ego » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:01 pm

And I hope there's no vaccine, cause if this is a disease, it sure feels good.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:23 pm

Kenneth wrote:
You forgot Debbie Downer. :roll:

It's only a little amusing that you can be bothered to opine about all these things, but s**t up your back when a differing/dissenting opinion is shared. If you're going to invoke double standard, feel free to shut the f**k up.

Make no mistake about it; I'm enthusiastic that companies are throwing their collective s**t in the ring and new devices are abound. My take on it (and last I checked, I've a right to an opinion, just as you) is this; I had hoped that with the introduction of all these devices in the past couple years that companies would be trying to one-up previous attempts, instead of a literal daisy chain of devices I perceive to bring little to no additional innovation to market, and the ones that do are met with jeers and complaints of 'it's too expensive' or 'if it's not a VCO, then it's shite' and the like.

Add to that all the fanboy-ism of late rallying behind these supposed efforts making claims that have no basis in reality due to the fact that 99% of these claims are based upon a youtube video or another 'expert's opinion', and it all starts to become really, really painful to watch.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

Joshy

Post by Joshy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:40 pm

silikon wrote: ... I had hoped that with the introduction of all these devices in the past couple years that companies would be trying to one-up previous attempts, instead of a literal daisy chain of devices I perceive to bring little to no additional innovation to market...
Right there with you on that. I haven't had a slight bit of interest in anything coming out lately. :|

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:50 pm

If these new little boxes and the MS-20 reissue from Korg sell well then I think it is completely reasonable to expect an analogue poly. They've done all the R&D: analog circuit design, CPU control over those analog circuits, mass producing it all cheaply, firmware programming, etc. They really wouldn't have to "innovate" (rediscover) anything new to do a poly. All the pieces are there and I suspect the small boxes were low-risk R&D and market testing with an eye to using part of the profits to fund a more substantial analogue product.

I sure hope they come out with an updated Polysix!

Walter Ego

Post by Walter Ego » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:17 pm

silikon wrote:Add to that all the fanboy-ism of late rallying behind these supposed efforts making claims that have no basis in reality due to the fact that 99% of these claims are based upon a youtube video or another 'expert's opinion', and it all starts to become really, really painful to watch.
I think the hype and fanboyism surrounding Korg (of which I am definitely guilty) is actually due just as much to the relational dynamic developing. People have been saying or thinking, "we want X", and Korg has actually delivered. In fact they delivered more than I could have imagined. A company has actually responded to the desires of its customers, without a condescending, "we know best" attitude. Of course, it will end quickly if the market does not bear it out. But in a world where as soon as I find a product I really like (tooth paste, deodorant, food, anything really), it seems to be discontinued almost immediately--in that kind of world, there's a company that responded positively to its customers and offered them something they actually want, and for bonkers prices. What's not to be happy about?

Another reason for the irrational exuberance is people my age and younger who didn't grow up with the first wave of electronic instruments or with the age of super-cheap analog synths in the mid 80s--mid 90s, and we want some classic tools that we could never afford. Korg have made previously esoteric (hard to come by at least) sounds incredibly affordable. I mean, they should fire whoever is naming these synths, seriously, but whatever. Korg would have to do a great deal of evil, heinous things before I turn from their product lines now. Although let's not forget they were headed the same direction as Roland for some time.
Walter Ego

Walter Ego

Post by Walter Ego » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:19 pm

Walter Ego wrote:
silikon wrote:Add to that all the fanboy-ism of late rallying behind these supposed efforts making claims that have no basis in reality due to the fact that 99% of these claims are based upon a youtube video or another 'expert's opinion', and it all starts to become really, really painful to watch.
I think the hype and fanboyism surrounding Korg (of which I am definitely guilty) is actually due just as much to the relational dynamic developing. People have been saying or thinking, "we want X", and Korg has actually delivered. In fact they delivered more than I could have imagined. A company has actually responded to the desires of its customers, without a condescending, "we know best" attitude. Of course, it will end quickly if the market does not bear it out. But in a world where as soon as I find a product I really like (tooth paste, deodorant, food, anything really), it seems to be discontinued almost immediately--in that kind of world, there's a company that responded positively to its customers and offered them something they actually want, and for bonkers prices. What's not to be happy about?

Another reason for the irrational exuberance is people my age and younger who didn't grow up with the first wave of electronic instruments or with the age of super-cheap analog synths in the mid 80s--mid 90s, and we want some classic tools that we could never afford. Korg have made previously esoteric (hard to come by at least) sounds incredibly affordable. I mean, they should fire whoever is naming these synths, seriously, but whatever. Korg would have to do a great deal of evil, heinous things before I turn from their product lines now. Although let's not forget they were headed the same direction as Roland for some time.
EDIT: Unfortunately, this thread got all negative and serious...I was soliciting funny names and products and mockups. Maybe I should make my own...

KorgUpiter 4?
Walter Ego

thehighesttree

Post by thehighesttree » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:25 pm

Don't be butthurt just because Korg is kicking everyone else's a*s apart...or because giant ugly modulars can't leave the house...or your dusty overpriced vintage stuff is losing relevance with the onslaught of cheap analog...or...

Okay, yeah, I can see why vintage gearheads have reason to be butthurt at this. :lol: But what I don't understand is the hate-on for manufacturers who still continue to make the kind of tangible gear we synth nerds crave in the vast expanse of software VSTs. I know what the "V" in VSE stands for, but I can't believe there's not even a glimmer of satisfaction in your heart with this news.

Granted, the Volcas are definitely taking a step back to the (Roland) past. Personally I think this latest product line from Korg is pretty ugly (reminds me of an old Intellivision) but it sure beats shelling out the money for an old x0x machine which is less dependable and apparently less capable. People looking to get $2000 for their TB-303 are probably shitting themselves today, but it's good news for the rest of us.

I'm basically a Korg fanboy, and it's a good horse to have money on. Sure they rehash stuff sometimes (KP3+ is mighty lame), but they seem to be the best at combining the best of the old and new. Of the "big 3" they're the only ones who seem to give a damn anymore. Yamaha is basically moribund synth-wise, and Roland is great if you're into well-made and durable, but boring devices. Call Korg a toy company if you want, but they make some pretty powerful, budget-friendly toys. I don't know if I have a need for any of these boxes in my (basically all Korg) rig, but for someone looking to get into the hardware game, now would be a good time!