a big difference in the virus ti and virus ti2 plugins?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Re: a big difference in the virus ti and virus ti2 plugins?

Post by ninja6485 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:27 am

The integration works perfectly for me... Doesn't seem like it's incorrectly implemented, or a pain to get it working. Maybe because I'm running windows xp? My only complaint is that I can't seem to figure out how to export my patches from the TI to my computer for storage so I don't have to permanently destroy a patch every time I want to design a new patch on the machine. I wish it just had a normal software editor. I don't even use a daw for its audio... also, It stopped sending clock out for some reason. :| And I have Massive... I agree with solderman.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Joshy

Post by Joshy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:51 am

Seems a bit hit and miss with the software VST. I run into some occasional issues with it freezing up, etc. on my TI2.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:24 pm

I doubt they'd keep the same software VST for 7 years if it was as broken as some of you claim.

aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:36 pm

ninja6485 wrote:My only complaint is that I can't seem to figure out how to export my patches from the TI to my computer for storage so I don't have to permanently destroy a patch every time I want to design a new patch on the machine.
I back up my banks with a sysex dump using midiox. Restoring is a snap. Works well.

Also, I'll repeat mine... Total integration works perfect when I use it. Always has. I'd like to think that its quirky to a minority of people.

Go browse the virus forums and see whats happening there... see if you can weed out common problems and solutions.

If my TI ever died or got stolen or something stupid like that, I would not hesitate to get another... so love it.

chimney chop
Band: boxc, cigarettes after sex

Post by chimney chop » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:01 pm

2 of the people who mentioned it works well use it in XP and the other 2 use it with a mac.

maybe that's the key here?

i use windows 7

aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:28 pm

meh... who can say? With so many combinations of platforms and configurations of hardware and software, I think its amazing anyone could make one piece of software work across the board (for the most part).

I'd be surprised if *everyone* using the virus control software on win7 has problems.

I run a pretty tight ship computer wise... I used to be a service tech for years, so I just naturally make things work right. Too bad you can 'try before you buy'. Or maybe you can somehow...?

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:37 pm

chimney chop wrote: with softsynths i have to stop playing, lift my hands from the synth, put them on the mouse, go back to playing, stop playing, tweak a bit more, drive out to the desert, blow my brains out.
You have to take your hands off to tweak on a hardware synth too?

Is it a left hand/right hand thing?
ninja6485 wrote:I have Massive... I agree with solderman.
Don't be surprised that on a synth called massive you find pleasing, subtle noises are out of vogue and harsh and compressed are in :lol: I don't complain about the LPF's on Massive either I barely use them, the dual notch, comb, Bandreject and HPF/BPF filters get way more of a workout in my DAW, and massive certainly isn't trying to be the be all and end all of analogue emulation...
(disclaimer: You can get some very pretty tones on massive too of course).

I just severely doubt there's any meaningful difference in tone between a VA and a VST but whatever floats your goat. I can understand people preferring to work with physical knobs they can touch and such but you'd never catch me buying any hardware VA's in the future. Don't see the point. (actually you won't catch me buying anything in the near future while I live in this tiny box of an apartment, the 88 key controller's all I kept when I moved and that takes up all the space as it is :lol: (that new ms-20 tho))

chimney chop
Band: boxc, cigarettes after sex

Post by chimney chop » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:31 pm

tekkentool wrote:
chimney chop wrote: with softsynths i have to stop playing, lift my hands from the synth, put them on the mouse, go back to playing, stop playing, tweak a bit more, drive out to the desert, blow my brains out.
You have to take your hands off to tweak on a hardware synth too?

Is it a left hand/right hand thing?
ninja6485 wrote:I have Massive... I agree with solderman.
yep, exactly

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)

Post by tekkentool » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:42 am

Rev up those bach inventions.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50

Post by ninja6485 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:36 am

Huh midiox... I'll have to check that out! And tekken, stfu about massive! You're turning into Cstbl...

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by tekkentool » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:59 am

ninja6485 wrote:You're turning into Cstbl...
I'm like way worse than him, admit it.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:51 pm

tekkentool wrote:I just severely doubt there's any meaningful difference in tone between a VA and a VST...
Try it ;)

Don't get me wrong plugs sound great and I use them all the time, but I don't know whether it's headroom or DAC's or whatever, but I *can* hear the difference. However slight it may be don't forget it's enough to make a pretty noticeable difference once you start stacking things in a mix. That to me, is pretty important. :geek:

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by tekkentool » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:06 am

If it was DAC's wouldn't the meaningful difference disappear if you used digital outs then?

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by ninja6485 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:31 am

You don't really think you can isolate a single part of the Virus as an explanation for why it sounds the way it sounds, do you?

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by tekkentool » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:47 am

ninja6485 wrote:You don't really think you can isolate a single part of the Virus as an explanation for why it sounds the way it sounds, do you?
The code. I'm pretty certain the LED screen and wooden side caps aren't affecting the sound too much so yeah.