Spectralis OS development is moving ahead...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Spectralis OS development is moving ahead...

Post by aredj » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:21 pm

In case you were ever turned off by the 'incomplete' state of the Spectralis's OS, an update has finally rolled out, with more updates in the work...

Radikal is a small company, and I believe its taken so long just due to money issues - to be able to just pay the programmer (and who knows what other barriers).. Development seems to be on the go again...

Simple bug fixes have been done... few new features... still more to come. (better midi implement, knob recording - hopefully ala electribe)

Largley, they've changed the internal file system, so you can now actually make use of the 4 gig internal storage and opened up the 32song/32pattern limit to well beyond what you would ever need, while also making sample organization much better...

Hopefully, this will generate more sales for them, so that they may continue developing this beast of a machine whos potential keeps growing with mind blowing possibilities in regards to production...

Just saying...

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Re: Spectralis OS development is moving ahead...

Post by silikon » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:50 pm

Besides the very intense menuing system they implemented, this was why I ended up selling mine. It's sound is quite nice, and it has heaps of potential. Modulation possibilities rivaling that of synths like an Xpander,
It was a shame to see development stalled for so long.

I'd be really interested to get back into one if development progresses well.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:31 pm

It's always a bad sign though, when people refer to a synthesizer as a "beast".

The Spectralis is an excellent example of why one shouldn't buy an instrument based on promised features. In this case, as I recall, there were lots of advertised features when the Spectralis 1 was released years ago that were not even close to being implemented at that time, and have never been implemented.

I have a hard time believing that any improvements at this point will redesign the menu system so that it's more benign. However, perhaps a better manual might solve some of that....

The mod routings are indeed very extensive, but the problem with comparing it to an xpander is that the xpander has an extremely intuitive, easy to use interface. I was pretty facile with the hybrid synth and sequencer on the Spectralis, and editing it was not at all like editing the xpander.....

I obviously had a love/hate relationship with the thing, but after 3 tries (!) I would need to see a total overhaul, with resampling (I think after promising this for years, he said that it won't be forthcoming, but maybe that's changed), and software for the mac, for me to consider it. The damn thing does sound good. Personally, I'd like a cheaper version without the digital synth and sampler.

the midi implementation also needs work, as I recall. While the sequencer is nice for an on board sequencer, it doesn't compare with a good stand alone sequencer, but when I started using one with it, I found that certain parameters couldn't be addressed. This is a vague memory, so forgive any mistakes, but I remember that you couldn't address the oscillators separately via midi, whereas you could with the internal sequencer.

In any case - I'll believe it when I see it. Given that I really only use the hybrid synth, and the speckie 1 can go for very cheap, I'd consider one again if he does it right. But I'm very skeptical.

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:40 am

droolmaster0 wrote:I have a hard time believing that any improvements at this point will redesign the menu system so that it's more benign. However, perhaps a better manual might solve some of that....
I can agree with that; however if they listen to some of their userbase at all, I would hope they might consider a general rework of it to include putting things in a bit more of a logical order.
droolmaster0 wrote:The mod routings are indeed very extensive, but the problem with comparing it to an xpander is that the xpander has an extremely intuitive, easy to use interface. I was pretty facile with the hybrid synth and sequencer on the Spectralis, and editing it was not at all like editing the xpander.....
Totally agree. I was using the Xpander as a point of reference simply due to the depth of programming, not commenting on the difference in actual ease of programming. Perhaps it was a bit daft to relate one to the other, but I had nothing else in mind at that point that I had used which seemed close. :)
droolmaster0 wrote:In any case - I'll believe it when I see it.
:friends:
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

aredj
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:10 pm

It's always a bad sign though, when people refer to a synthesizer as a "beast".
Always? Not in my case.
The Spectralis is an excellent example of why one shouldn't buy an instrument based on promised features. In this case, as I recall, there were lots of advertised features when the Spectralis 1 was released years ago that were not even close to being implemented at that time, and have never been implemented.
Well, again, its been tough for them... I'm just a forgiving person I guess. Remember, they're only 2 or 3 people. Maybe thats no excuse for a 'synth company', but life is tough sometimes. Anyway, the next update is out, things are being (and have been) implemented with more to come. Despite what people may think, Radikal is dedicated, and doing what they can to get the job done.
I have a hard time believing that any improvements at this point will redesign the menu system so that it's more benign. However, perhaps a better manual might solve some of that....
There is no talk about improving the menu system. I have no problem with it... (I also got along famously with my evolver desktop). Some things are just not for everyone...

When there is so much going on in a synth, you cant avoid menus. Look at the virus. covered in knobs, yet still has a deep menu system (which people hate), because you cant avoid it with the features.
And the Virus is just a synth... Spectralis is a complex synth, drum machine, sequencer, multisampler (playback only of course ... its NOT a sampler) with a sequencing fliterbank... Theres alot going on.

Again, I understand not everyone is going to get along with the menu structure, It is 'unique', but I personally have gotten to know it well, and can move around fluently.
The mod routings are indeed very extensive, but the problem with comparing it to an xpander is that the xpander has an extremely intuitive, easy to use interface. I was pretty facile with the hybrid synth and sequencer on the Spectralis, and editing it was not at all like editing the xpander.....
Yeah, there is no comparing. There is nothing 'classic' about the layout.
I obviously had a love/hate relationship with the thing, but after 3 tries (!) I would need to see a total overhaul, with resampling (I think after promising this for years, he said that it won't be forthcoming, but maybe that's changed), and software for the mac, for me to consider it. The damn thing does sound good. Personally, I'd like a cheaper version without the digital synth and sampler.
I dont think there will ever be any resampling... Thats just not how it works... or, at least thats not a focus of this machine... You're just meant to pack it with your own sample library (cmon, soundfonts are still awesome) and have at it... There have recently been some software solutions for mac users. So thats good.
the midi implementation also needs work, as I recall. While the sequencer is nice for an on board sequencer, it doesn't compare with a good stand alone sequencer, but when I started using one with it, I found that certain parameters couldn't be addressed. This is a vague memory, so forgive any mistakes, but I remember that you couldn't address the oscillators separately via midi, whereas you could with the internal sequencer.
Its true. It does lack in the midi department - Particularly if you want something else to control it. But it does a fine job of sequencing external gear as far as notes and CC goes. Even more so, since the update.
In any case - I'll believe it when I see it. Given that I really only use the hybrid synth, and the speckie 1 can go for very cheap, I'd consider one again if he does it right. But I'm very skeptical.
If all you really liked was the hybrid synth, I'd go for an A4. Right now, for me, its the perfect main machine for me... All the music I do is meant for a live computerless situation, and having a drum sequencer, analog monosynth, sample playback, and sequencer for my virus (which I often route into the sequencing filterbank - so awesome!) all in one box .. I love it. and its complexity.

Im a fanboy. ;)

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:48 pm

yes - being a small company explains some of it, but not the long periods of no communication, etc.....

And yes - I do have a bit of experience with synths and synth companies. I have an a4 (as well as an OT and Little Deformer). but all of these are very different instruments. The Spectralis sounds very, very different than the elektron stuff, and the work flow is very different, etc.

n3wt15
Gear: a never ending cycle of ins and outs
Band: Armageddon Party

Post by n3wt15 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:41 am

This is good news, I honestly was scared that it was abandoned a while ago.
Not that I have one anymore myself, but every time I do see one pop up, I always consider getting it again.

As much time as I did spend making patterns on it compared to of other drum machines/sequencers I have/had, the quality of the spec (at least to me) is unmatched.
I would love to get one again and pair with my Tempest.
Though having two drum machines that I need to stop in between song changes really irks me...

aredj
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:47 am

n3wt15 wrote: Though having two drum machines that I need to stop in between song changes really irks me...
The tempest does that? Meh.. Yeah, that was an issue for me too with the spectralis.. I came up with a couple solutions that keeps the sound going during song changes during my live sets, so I got over that... also a big part of the update allows for a new song-organization method that, if you plan it right, really cuts down on load time. But, you still have to stop to change songs.
droolmaster0 wrote:And yes - I do have a bit of experience with synths and synth companies.
Peace bro.. :hippie: I never meant to assume otherwise... (I want an A4)

n3wt15

Post by n3wt15 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:13 am

Yeah, honestly OS wise, I dont think the tempest is all that much better then the speck was when I had mine, and I dont see nearly as many people complaining about the tempest.
HOWEVER, the tempest is a breeze to write and perform with, I can have someone inexperienced in my studio sit down on the tempest and making patterns relatively quickly, never had anyone in my studio ever sit down with the spectralis for very long before they wanted to use something else.

I remember on the forums, someone was working on a software editior for the spec, I wonder if anything happened with that..

aredj
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:20 am

Yeah, honestly OS wise, I dont think the tempest is all that much better then the speck was when I had mine, and I dont see nearly as many people complaining about the tempest.
LOL... thats a can o worms... taking YEARS for updates being a bit of an issue. But still, Dave smith is selling units like crazy, and has, who knows how many full time developers.... Access for instance, is SUPER successful... and they come out with crazy updates often... Radikal could NOT pay their main software engineer to keep him working on the spec... and that guy has to feed his family yo..(afaik). It also doesnt help that their product (while beautiful) is a bit of a weirdo.

HOWEVER, the tempest is a breeze to write and perform with, I can have someone inexperienced in my studio sit down on the tempest and making patterns relatively quickly, never had anyone in my studio ever sit down with the spectralis for very long before they wanted to use something else.
Ive said it before (in another thread)... its a esoteric machine. Its a bit different... No instant rewards, until you put the time in. I think Im about 2 years in and Im having a ball.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:12 pm

"its a esoteric machine"

I'm not sure what you mean by this or if you arrived to this conclusion from history (like [relatively] few own/use the machine and therefore...) or by design -like Joerg made this with only a few people using in mind so he purposely...

Other machines that gets this... slant is the Elektron stuff...like you need to be special to get it.
I've also hear things like [insert number of years] and I am STILL discovering NEW STUFFS.

These products always share a lot of menu diving and confusing programming paths and logic.
I also hear about the many, many features and how that necessitates some of the difficulty in navigation.
I just know how much is depth as much as unraveling a mystery in these releases that's a simple feature in another.

Honestly, I've always seen this talk as a justification or compensation for a much simpler idea.
When MUSICIANS make gear, they do it in a way where their own workflow is up front.
Bob Moog didn't play- he just made stuff for players and probably built his system by the most popular requests.
"Okay you guys want this? Sure, I'll make it work that way." All he cared about was getting them the sound and let them do with his boards as the artists see fit.

DSI also. Dave just noodles and makes nice sounds. It's up to us to make the nice music.
I suspect Elektron and Joerg (for him, I know) are ARTISTS who make gear.
Therefore all their menu-diving and internal layout is based on what THEY DO.
WHAT THEY DO OFTEN and what they wish was easier to do in other gear.

The Spectralis was supposed to be a stand-alone groove box. Your main and only piece. That's why it doesn't play well with others. Why? That's what HE does with it. That's how he performs. That's why you get some extra attention to sounding great by itself and lack of integration options. He can also fully jam with it so updates and 'broken promises' and all the nagging over extended features is sometimes unwarranted.
I've been on his forum and seen membersbegging, no demanding updates for obscure functions....instead of focusing on the basics that didn't work fully...

Those users are the ones who created the general unfinished OS stigma.
I think Radikal should have changed the specs to match what was on offer and eliminate or stop mentioning any features that weren't fully working. But what do I know?

I have the Spectralis 2 and love it. I do wish it connected better through MIDI and I wish for the expected things that all the other manufacturers offer- like a Soft Editor, library expansions and a faster turn around with news and updates, bug fixes etc...
I also accept that Radikal (mostly) and Elektron as both smaller companies making (what I consider) cutting edge products with a different approach so I accept that you can't make vanilla that doesn't taste like vanilla so I give EXTRA, EXTRA leeway to boutique manufacturers. I expect to pay more, wait longer and take the risk of some things not going as planned.

I am patiently waiting for the 1.66 Accelerator update too.
And that's only for additional features.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:16 pm

So, what exactly is the point? That people who don't like the Spectralis interface should shut up? I don't see this as relevant at all. I like or dislike an instrument based on my own use, not someone else's.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:35 pm

So, what exactly is the point?
Are you talking to me? Because you are replying to me asking you what was the point of that quote- with a question of what's the point. :?:

That people who don't like the Spectralis interface should shut up?
No, I think they should buy something else with an interface they like. And I assume you mean interface, you mean the front panel, unless you mean the menu system, and for that I don't see anywhere that I said don't mention it (or shut up, for that matter).

I don't see this as relevant at all.
Seeing that you don't seem to understand what the this is that I typed, that makes sense. :roll:

I like or dislike an instrument based on my own use, not someone else's.
Which is great once you own it or at least use it. How many Spectralis owners were able to DEMO the Spectralis before buying? Or better yet, how man used the internet (sounds and video, reviews etc..) as their primary means of research before deciding level of interest ? So, yeah, how A LOT of other people view something may have an impact on how interested you are. You know, the opinion of peers.

Oh look, it's the main point of this thread showing up.
In case you were ever turned off by the 'incomplete' state of the Spectralis's OS

First sentence of this thread.
Like it or not, that's the buzz.
How deserved can (I guess) be debated.
"An unfinished OS" would make me less interested in a product.

That could happen before I get a chance to decide for myself.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

aredj
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:16 am

griffin avid wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by this or if you arrived to this conclusion from history (like [relatively] few own/use the machine and therefore...) or by design -like Joerg made this with only a few people using in mind so he purposely...
Lol... Very good sir... My faulty learned definition of esoteric is now standing corrected... (edit: sorta.. "difficult to understand comes into some of the definitions...whaaaatever...My daily lern sumpthen.)

and you are a more eloquent man than me... Thanks for your posts...

n3wt15

Post by n3wt15 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:58 am

Im not trying to badmouth the spectralis by any means here, i hope that last post didnt come off the wrong way.
I loved my specks, plan to get another again in the near future. :dancer: