Big Synthesizers and the Modern Apartment

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Re: Big Synthesizers and the Modern Apartment

Post by Jabberwalky » Wed May 01, 2013 8:45 pm

I rotate gear every couple months. All I have is a 3 tier and a small desk area. I figure whenever I keep looking over at something leaning on the wall and really miss using it, it needs to makes its way back.

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Wed May 01, 2013 9:27 pm

There's an informality about the On The Floor thing that I like but it kills my back.

I actually prefer to stand when I play live.

Plus, if space is at a premium the floor's no good. If I had a Legless CS-80 I'd probably find a sturdy desk to put it on. Either that or the old cinder block and wood trick poor man's shelving.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Wed May 01, 2013 11:41 pm

You might want to place your CS80 on top of a CP70. That should do. This, or a GS-1.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Thu May 02, 2013 3:33 am

Does anyone have a good shelving solution that's not wall mounted? I have a growing collection and growing shelf needs. Would love to have a couple medium racks.

nvining
Gear: CS80, Chroma, Synclavier, DK Synergy II+, Matrix 12, Memorymoog+, CS20m, Clavinet, AlphaSyntauri, Korg Micropreset, Lexicon 480L, Otari RADAR

Post by nvining » Thu May 02, 2013 7:02 am

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:You might want to place your CS80 on top of a CP70. That should do. This, or a GS-1.

Stephen
I have a CP70, but that's certainly not fitting in this space. (I wish I had a GS1.)
"We have to remember that Moogs, ARPs and all of the first synths had been created by raging madmen." - Jean-Michael Jarre

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Fri May 03, 2013 2:19 am

synthparts wrote:How long of a wall have you got? I did this -

soooooo.....what part of the Bay Area do you reside in?

seriously, I rent a rehearsal studio for this reason. I use half of it for storage fro all my stupid grown up junk.
The rest is synths, drum machines, a drum set, and a bunch of other music gear.
It's basically my "man cave". The plus side is that I do not pay power, so I can leave everything on all the time!
It is an extra $400 a month, so I end up renting a fairly small studio apt in not the most appealing of areas to make up the balance.
Besides its way more fun to play messed up trippy synth lines at serious volume through speakers instead of
headphones.

BTW my two solutions for heavy gear are
A:wire rack shelves. Depending on manufacture they are rated for 200-800lbs per shelf. Cheap, easy to assemble and disassemble. relatively open.
B:Ridgid work support. I modified mine with some left over pieces of another stand. Super sturdy. Stable and light. Only tilts to two positions though.
Probably need two for a CS80!
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

KBD_TRACKER

Post by KBD_TRACKER » Sat May 04, 2013 8:04 am

one solution would be to get rid of those monster machines and limit oneself to small instruments like the desktop evolver, micron, monotribe, compact samplers like the MPC 1000 or SP404, etc. and maybe add an optional MIDI keyboard. all in all quite a lot of music making capability can be put together with these machines.

in fact nowadays synth power is not at all necessarily associated with overall dimensions and like with the new korg boxes it seems that manufacturers have understood the space limitations of modern city life.

now if large vintage machines are your thing .... then you can do as many people do: encroach in your basic living space
(ie living or bedroom) ;)

celebutante

Post by celebutante » Mon May 06, 2013 7:58 am

I'm using a Broder for my Prophet-5, Jupiter-4 and Korg Delta and so far so good. It's not wall mounted- I have the large L-style legs. It's right up near a wall though, so I should probably affix it somehow for extra stability. The bummer about Broders is that they used make angled brackets, but they discontinued them before I got mine. I called a bunch of Ikea stores but no one had them anymore :cry:
synthesizers.com modular • Sequential Prophet-5 • Roland Jupiter-4 • Korg Delta • Oberheim SEM • Ensoniq SQ-80 • Korg MS-20 • Moog Minimoog • Yamaha CS-15 • Cordovox/Moog "White Elephant"

http://www.mitchellsigman.com
http://www.celebusite.com

condit79
Gear: 5U modular/STG/.com, Mopho, Sixtrak, Sprocket, xoxbox, juno 6, ESQ1, SY35, Ipad
Band: lvoe

Post by condit79 » Thu May 09, 2013 9:25 pm

Ikea stomen. It's a floor to ceiling pole so the weight goes to the floor, not the wall and they sell poles that you can attach a tiltable shelf to that has a lip on it. I'm pretty tempted to move my modular setup to something like this to take up less space.
soundcloud.com/lvoe

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.

Post by calaverasgrande » Thu May 09, 2013 9:51 pm

condit79 wrote:Ikea stomen. It's a floor to ceiling pole so the weight goes to the floor, not the wall and they sell poles that you can attach a tiltable shelf to that has a lip on it. I'm pretty tempted to move my modular setup to something like this to take up less space.
do you mean "Stolman"?
The weird white modular shelf thingy?
Those "shoe racks" are almost purpose built for keyboards.
like this
but with the wider shelves.
The only drawback I see to that approach is potential static from the landlord for "damaging" teh premises.
Heck it's even earthquake-friendly!
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

syntheticsolutions
Gear: Rhodes 78 Mk2, Jupiter 4, Juno 6, MS-10, CS-15, Opus 3, Machinedrum, RE-501, Roland Rack
Band: Lunar Modular

Post by syntheticsolutions » Fri May 10, 2013 4:07 am

calaverasgrande wrote:
condit79 wrote:Ikea stomen. It's a floor to ceiling pole so the weight goes to the floor, not the wall and they sell poles that you can attach a tiltable shelf to that has a lip on it. I'm pretty tempted to move my modular setup to something like this to take up less space.
do you mean "Stolman"?
like this
The only drawback I see to that approach is potential static from the landlord for "damaging" teh premises.
These shoe racks look perfect (with a bit more width maybe). I am going to be building a studio space shortly and may look into this. I find the concept of juggling 10+ large poly keyboards incredibly daunting.

This thread is absolutely amazing! I can't believe this hasn't been discussed sooner :D
Replicants are like any other machine, they're either a benefit or a hazard. If they're a benefit, its not my problem.

vicd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Blofeld, Formanta (EMS01, Maestro, Mini), Fusion 8HD, JD800, Morpheus, MP7, Plugiator, TG77, TOM1501, TR626, UltraProteus, V-Synth XT
Band: ROBOPOP

Post by vicd » Fri May 10, 2013 11:52 am

http://www.ikeahackers.net/ can be of interest. Search it for "music", or "DJ", or maybe "keyboard"

I don't like the drums, but the drums like me!

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by calaverasgrande » Fri May 10, 2013 6:35 pm

I am really starting to warm to the idea of the Stolmen system. Most of my gear is set up to be portable when in reality I only gig with what I can fit in my stain wagon. This stuff looks way cooler than some wire rack shelves. Very sci-fi. Only issue with the Stolmen shelves for me is that both my studio and my apartment have pretty high ceilings. I may have to do some re-engineering to attach the tops to the walls instead of the ceiling

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Sun May 12, 2013 4:25 pm

calaverasgrande wrote:
do you mean "Stolman"?
like this
It looks like the keyboard would have to fit on that that plate which, if the overall width is 29", would only be around 25". Fine for a Minibrute but not a 61 key unit.

vicd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Blofeld, Formanta (EMS01, Maestro, Mini), Fusion 8HD, JD800, Morpheus, MP7, Plugiator, TG77, TOM1501, TR626, UltraProteus, V-Synth XT
Band: ROBOPOP

Post by vicd » Sun May 12, 2013 7:03 pm

GuyaGuy wrote: It looks like the keyboard would have to fit on that that plate which, if the overall width is 29", would only be around 25". Fine for a Minibrute but not a 61 key unit.
Double-width available as well, 110cm. Probably no 76, but 61 should be ok.

At 3:20 :

I don't like the drums, but the drums like me!