Gigging with vintage synths (Juno 60)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
freddie

Gigging with vintage synths (Juno 60)

Post by freddie » Fri May 10, 2013 8:07 am

New here. Hi. I recently bought a Juno 60. I've searched for opinions on this forum, but all I could find was one person on another forum saying that it's not recommended to gig with a synth like this because of its fragility. Would most of you agree with this? Could it really develop problems that are completely unfixable, or is it more a matter of expensive upkeep? What if I'm not going on tour, but mostly playing local shows here and there? What if I keep it in a hardshell case, and it never travels very far? Should I avoid bringing it to rehearsals as well? I have a Microkorg, also, but admittedly would be disappointed if the consensus matches what the person I mentioned claimed.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Re: Gigging with vintage synths (Juno 60)

Post by Alex E » Fri May 10, 2013 9:44 am

The Juno-60 isn't that fragile. It's tough and well built, but it's also vintage and old. If you're nice to it, it'll probably be fine. I'd personally be comfortable relying on a Juno-60 for gigs.
soundcloud.com/vectron

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Fri May 10, 2013 9:48 am

If it has the sounds you want in your music then just use it. Don't be all kid gloves, it's only a synth and there are others out there. Just think of how much better than all the other generic microkorg bands you'll be.

Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Fri May 10, 2013 11:55 am

I gigged with a Juno-60 for a couple of years, it was by far the most reliable and dependable vintage Analog Polysynth i used on the road. Its really well made and not too heavy to move around, and with it being a simple synth real time tweaks are very easy to make while playing live.

On the other hand i gigged with a Jupiter-4 for a year, now that wasn't nearly as easy. Between sets i had to go around the back with a screwdriver and manually tune the thing up.
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,

Stafftunes
Gear: Jupiter 6, JX-3P, Nord Rack 2, Blofeld, TX81z,JV2080, RY30, A4000, SK30 + Misc stuff
Band: Stafftunes

Post by Stafftunes » Fri May 10, 2013 2:38 pm

I've gigged my JX3P h**l of a lot, and my Jupiter 6 a few times, both seemed very happy in the hot sweaty and smokey environments they were put into. As the Juno is from roughly the same era I'm sure it'll be fine. (I seem to remember Banco De Gaia aka Toby Marks used to take his out a lot)

KevBKeys

Post by KevBKeys » Fri May 10, 2013 4:26 pm

With stable tuning and user presets, the Juno 60 was probably one of the first synths you could easily gig with. They have a reputation for being very reliable, so I wouldn't be too worried if yours has been well maintained. When was it last serviced?

Any piece of equipment, new or old can go wrong at any time, so it doesn't hurt to think what you might do if a situation does arise in the middle of a gig.

I think I'd be more worried about the value of the instrument than the reliability.

madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Fri May 10, 2013 5:00 pm

Insert horror story about synth falling off stage here.

themilford
Gear: Oberheim SYSTEM: OB8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Moog Taurus 3, Fender Bass IV LH (CS), Rickenbacker 620/6 (LH), Crumar Trilogy needing major repair.
Band: Season Finale

Post by themilford » Fri May 10, 2013 5:10 pm

I toured and gigged with a Prophet 600. No issues... just get a good roadcase.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri May 10, 2013 5:51 pm

It's not a reliability issue.

If you're doing local gigs expect it to get dinged and scratched, maybe have beer spilled on it, be knocked off the stand :evil:, broken keys/knobs/sliders, etc. over time.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Fri May 10, 2013 7:11 pm

I'd rather gig with a vintage Roland anything instead of vintage Moog.
The Moog stuff sounds phenomenal, but tuning is always wonky and the dang things were never meant to be roaded.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri May 10, 2013 7:19 pm

Old Rolands are made like tanks. They were made for gigging and touring musicians, they can take a beating. Even the old Jupiter-8 looks like a metal monster compared to a fragile wooden Moog or PS3200.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Fri May 10, 2013 10:14 pm

I gigged with a Juno60 a few years ago. It's portable, has plenty of patches to accomodate your set, and cuts through with that filter. I loved it, but ended up quitting that shitty band and selling it to another guy that gigged it everywhere.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Fri May 10, 2013 10:44 pm

The Juno 60 is nothing to get too worried about, for two reasons: First, it is relatively reliable, and second, it is not that hard to replace in case it gets lost, damaged, stolen, what have you. Get yourself a flightcase for it, and you should be fine.

How do you guys like this:

Is this bravery or utter madness?

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Fri May 10, 2013 11:20 pm

the only madness there is the EHX pedal in the foreground.
Love EHX stuff (I have a whole shelf full of theri pedals in my studio).
But I put them next to (vintage) Moog for the poor road worthyness and lack of engineering robustness.
Funny, both companies were located in NY back in the day, right?
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

mpa1104
Gear: Finally, enough gear that exceeds the 150 character allowance. WooHoo - I qualify as an obsessed gear-head!

Post by mpa1104 » Sat May 11, 2013 9:17 am

That's still one of my favourite pics from that other forum ;)
Gigged quite regularly with my Juno 60 for at least 5 years, and for more sporadic engagements over the past 10 years, it has remained the most reliable synth in my rig. In my experience, I'd just say take it with you wherever, you'll have no problems. The only time I ever felt mildly worried for its safety during a show was when two girls started beating the s**t out of each otherand they brought it onto the front of the stage. First to go were the monitor wedges, then I could feel the A-frame getting nudged while I was playing. Fortunately the bouncers managed to get them off (and it took 3 of them :D )
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't like my personality, I have several more.