Request an analog on Roland's Facebook page!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ravenmek

Re: Request an analog on Roland's Facebook page!

Post by ravenmek » Sun May 19, 2013 8:20 pm

My favorite roland product is my v-synth, it's amazing! And totally digital. I would love that, really. If they could do something like that again, that would be awesome!

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Sun May 19, 2013 8:29 pm

What's better: Existing digital Roland synthesizers or hypothetical analog Roland synthesizers? GO!

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Sun May 19, 2013 8:39 pm

In the end I could care less whether something is digital or analog. It's whatever it takes to get the sound in my head.
But my past experience has taught me that digital excels at "digital" sounds. When a box tries to make analog sounds with digital it usually falls short (YMMV, IMHO, QED Etc.).
Sure if I was into dance music I bet the digital stuff that Roland makes now would be tremendous. But for those of us that don't they are just cheesy.
It's like buying a guitar that has 20 knobs on it, but it can only play country songs.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun May 19, 2013 10:36 pm

volumetrik wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:So what do you guys think Roland should re-produce first? The Juno-6, or the Juno-60?

The Juno-6 sounds phatter, but the Juno-60 has midi capability... I wonder if it's worth buying both?
Roland should hire you, so you could make the decision for them :withstupid:
That would be sweet. I have a lot of really good ideas for Roland. For example, I think they should make a new analog synth that sounds as phat as the Jujno-6. I was thinking about starting a petition to encourage them to do that. Would any of you guys sign it?
Do you even post on vse bro?

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon May 20, 2013 4:06 am

calaverasgrande wrote:...Sure if I was into dance music I bet the digital stuff that Roland makes now would be tremendous. But for those of us that don't they are just cheesy...
Well I'm into dance music and I'd have to say they are far from tremendous :?

Just cause you may not like it doesn't mean people into dance music don't have taste in synths too, as I'm sure people into country music do in guitars (even though the music is best avoided IMHO). ;)

The only thing that has potential to me is the V-Synth and the GT was ruined with its stupid "dual" architecture, there were some improvements but not enough to pull it off as a great overall instrument, so I stick with the old albeit fantastic original V.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Mon May 20, 2013 4:41 am

calaverasgrande wrote: Sure if I was into dance music I bet the digital stuff that Roland makes now would be tremendous. But for those of us that don't they are just cheesy.
It's like buying a guitar that has 20 knobs on it, but it can only play country songs.
lol wut

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon May 20, 2013 5:28 am

volumetrik wrote:
Hybrid88 wrote:Ok so lets say they do make something analog again, who's to say it's going to be any good anyway?

Let's face it, analog or not, it's been a while since *anything* interesting has come from this company.

I'd just be happy if they made a decent new synth of serious musical value. :|
Who's to say its going to suck?
If their aim at the moment is to make the best digital synths they can and they've got people working for them who've been making digital synths for 20 years and they can't make anything good then how would they, more than any other company, be able to make a good analogue synth? Just by chance? Because it has the word Roland written on it?

I don't understand why people would want Roland to put out an analogue synth. If a company that makes great digital synths like Elektron or Waldorf put out a new analogue synth like the Analog Four or Pulse 2 then that's something to get excited about, or Tip Top Audio putting out a polyphonic modular system is worth getting excited about, but if you don't even like Roland's current digital offerings why would you want them to make something analogue?

I think what you really want is for Roland to put out anything new that doesn't suck. They haven't really done that since the V-Synth. Analogue isn't some magic bullet that means everything will automatically sound better, there are plenty of mediocre analogue synths out there and plenty of great sounding digital synths.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Mon May 20, 2013 6:15 am

Analogue isn't some magic bullet that means everything will automatically sound better, there are plenty of mediocre analogue synths out there and plenty of great sounding digital synths.

Please do not add any sobering, rational or logical thoughts into this thread. Please no.
This is the same argument of THE BIG 3 MUST DO IT OR IT'S NOT BEING DONE.
Leave some to that thought. If Roland made the Volcas, it would be game over. So why does it matter who's name plate is on the desk? Same job title on the door and the same functionality is being offered in this room down the hall.

Is see 2 problems with these lines of thinking.
A) You don't know what anyone else is doing. KORG might possible be doing what they always do and take little baby steps in any direction. How many generations of Kaoss pads before they game us stuff we wanted since the first one came out? -- and they are still omitting features. Arturia might be building on their success right now and bringing a 61 key to the table- might even have a few more voices than expected... They have shown that they don't shy away from big price tags, so nothing is impossible. They have all that minibrute R&D and some deep pockets now.

Electribes have never broken $1,000 USD. There's a lot of room between $150 and a $1,000 if the base analog engine is PROFITABLE even on that low end. They could EASILY make a full analog electribe. So by the time Roland shows up, who knows what's going to be in the case next to it.

B) Number two is that Roland has to take baby steps. You just don't show up with a flagship out the gate. If your goal as a company has always been to recreate traditional instruments using technology- I don't see how analog fits into their future as a solution. I think they understand THAT LANE has been tried and tapped. Aint nobody making a convincing analog/circuity/guitar that sounds like....a guitar. Now that failure might usher in something insane in the right hands, but....

Their goal with analog technology would have to be to make the 'best' analog synth.
Can you imagine THAT as a goal in any Roland boardroom?
We are asking for an awesome accidental success to emerge....
Like...like...lighting striking you and charging your cell phone.
--------------------------------

The only hope is that they and a few others see how we will buy anything with analog slapped on its a*s and try to cash in. And somebody makes something really cheesy that we (you) (someone) turns into sonic gold by getting it to do well beyond what it was meant to do. That is still possible.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Mon May 20, 2013 6:35 am

Well they made SH-32, SH-201 and Gaia SH-01 and those are almost there to being classed as really good.

Korg was doing similar thing before MS-20 Mini, Volcas and those don't exactly suck. And it's just that type of equipment that people want and it being scarce and unreliable etc plus it shows it can be done for affordable price.

If Roland did something it would be interesting, I like the way they think about features/layout. I'm not expecting a reissue but something new like MiniBrute or Analog 4.

Novation have been out from the analog game for 20 years and this new Bass Station is looking promising.

So again at the end of the day current Roland is not terrible but an analog engine is already in a different league compared to digital/software, interesting what they would do. :thumbsup:

Synthacon
Gear: Hard and Soft Synths

Post by Synthacon » Mon May 20, 2013 6:57 am

Who cares?

There are enough Vintage and New analogue synths available to cover anything you could want. Some are maybe too expensive for some, but that has been the case since synths first appeared.

Maybe people should concentrate more on what they do own and spend more time crafting their musical and productions skill then wasting their time craving something new.
You always want just one more Synth!

EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: MS20, x0xb0x, JV-1080, JX-3P, JX-8P(PG800), Juno Stage, VFX-SD, VL-1, ARP Omni I, D-50, DW6000

Post by EmptySet » Mon May 20, 2013 8:51 am

The fact that Korg brought back MS20 is pretty intriguing. That it looks like it might be a runaway success is even more interesting. Surely other manufacturers (including Roland) are watching this. Also nice to see is that the MS20 price tag is affordable. Wasn't Roland always kind of in the business of "affordable" analog synths in the 80s? They sure were a h**l of a lot cheaper than an Obie, etc. Maybe we really will see a reissue of one of the Junos or Jupiters. I know everyone always says that manufacturers are generally uninterested in analog because digital is so much cheaper, but would a clone of a yesteryear Roland really be that expensive to manufacturer? Seems like it should be even cheaper than in the 80s (and still do more). Isn't Korg kind of proving this true?

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Mon May 20, 2013 11:05 am

Synthacon wrote: Maybe people should concentrate more on what they do own and spend more time crafting their musical and productions skill then wasting their time craving something new.
Nah it's not like that at all, people don't sit around all desperate, craving new Roland analog, it's just a simple little fun thing on the side it doesn't cost anything.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon May 20, 2013 1:18 pm

You know guys, if a Roland analog is what you really want there is something called ebay. :idea:

Like others have said, there are other brands right now providing what you seem to be pining for - so let's move on shall we? :?

Synthacon
Gear: Hard and Soft Synths

Post by Synthacon » Mon May 20, 2013 1:25 pm

volumetrik wrote:Nah it's not like that at all, people don't sit around all desperate, craving new Roland analog, it's just a simple little fun thing on the side it doesn't cost anything.
I think a lot of people crave a new Roland analogue, hence the disappointment and general bitching before and after every NAMM and MESSE!!!
You always want just one more Synth!

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon May 20, 2013 3:20 pm

I'd probably be happier than a pig in a particularly dirty pigsty if I found a well-working Jupiter-8 in a music store, just to be able to turn it on and play it, and touch the rainbow coloured buttons! But when comparing it to my mighty Andromeda A6, it fall pretty much short on every feature. And it would probably cost more too.