Request an analog on Roland's Facebook page!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
cgren72

Re: Request an analog on Roland's Facebook page!

Post by cgren72 » Sat May 18, 2013 8:34 am

Yeah, and maybe they will stick a tube in it too :lol: :roll:

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Sat May 18, 2013 9:11 am

Roland are rather like our UK government, unwanted and out of ideas stick to my Kawai S 100f.
yamoto773

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sat May 18, 2013 9:24 am

volumetrik wrote:
Hybrid88 wrote:Ok so lets say they do make something analog again, who's to say it's going to be any good anyway?

Let's face it, analog or not, it's been a while since *anything* interesting has come from this company.

I'd just be happy if they made a decent new synth of serious musical value. :|
Who's to say its going to suck?

Wasn't you who wanted Roland to at least have a go at making one even if it sucked?
Well don't get me wrong I'd be happy if they did anything different to what they're doing now. But I guess I just don't see the point of pining for something that will in all likelihood never eventuate. I mean how many millions of time have Roland themselves been asked if they will do analog again to which they always answer the same emphatic response? Their big line is "we design the future", and the future to them is digital, not analog. To do analog now would be going back on everything they've said for years, not so with Korg for example.

I guess my point is I see analog as a bridge too far for Roland at the moment, I mean they can't even seem to do a decent digital synth at the moment, lets be realistic. Also when's the last time they really took a risk on something different? Think about it. :geek:

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Sat May 18, 2013 9:41 am

Ok fair enough.

Apparently they are open to the idea of using analog tech again but the end result would likely be a hybrid like the Evolver. They are aware that their old products are hot etc but because of the "we design the future" they would never reissue them this from someone who supposedly attended Roland's meetings and spoke with the company founder, you can read more of it at that link I provided.

Also they are making a 808 documentary here is the trailer:

http://vimeo.com/45313117

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Sat May 18, 2013 10:54 am

maybe Roland doesn´t speak english only japanese.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat May 18, 2013 1:17 pm

I'm sure they are watching the market closely with all these retro synths coming back.
But Roland's motto has always been to move technology forward, not backwards. That's why they've never released any reissues of old classics, ever. They've just reused the names for new models.

The JP-8 was among the first poly analogs. The Juno106 was among the first MIDI synths. The D50 was among the first sample+synthesis synths. The JP8000 was among the first VA synths. And so on. They don't look back.

That a couple hundred nostalgia geeks sign a usermade petition doesn't make it commercially viable to rerelease a Jupiter-8 with every component matching the old ones. But then again, if Korg had 100k preorders for the mini MS20 for real, I'm sure they're curious.

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Sat May 18, 2013 1:56 pm

Bitexion wrote: That a couple hundred nostalgia geeks sign a usermade petition doesn't make it commercially viable to rerelease a Jupiter-8 with every component matching the old ones.
I don't think it's to do with that.

People want them to make new analogs or with some old resurrected circuitry.

Anyway thanks to anyone who participated.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Sat May 18, 2013 3:11 pm

Seems to me the Roland raison d'etre has always been to provide real world flute, trumpet, sax, string and piano sounds. Late 70s and early 80s technology meant you had to do analog to get there. For them reps have openly admitted, even most recently, with respect to that bygone era as a failure to produce real world sounds. So what really surprises me is why they would compromise these values to make things like the JP-8000 and Gaia.

It would be great if the Korg's increasing foray into analog would kick start more from Roland but I'm not getting my hopes up for anything.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat May 18, 2013 3:18 pm

Well, it's fair to say that the pop music industry needs "real life" sounding synth sounds, music containing just analog emulations of brass and pianos isn't much popular these days. Those are the guys running out to buy the latest Fantoms and Jupiters nowadays. Also these synths contain plenty of the old analog sounds as perfect multisamples, so you get that aswell. And they usually contain a full VA synth engine aswell to make your own sounds.
The synths are just backing instruments, not front instruments, so it works just fine. They're used as tools just like guitars and drums, not the main focus of a band's sound.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sat May 18, 2013 3:59 pm

Brings up a good point though, I mean if the industry in general is content using thin sounding plugs then there really is no incentive to make anything different.

Sadly I think the producers that really care about the subtle (but important) difference are probably in the minority even still.

I can't be the only one who is getting really sick of hearing the oversaturation of plugin generated supersaw leads in music lately, sounds horrid...

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Sat May 18, 2013 4:39 pm

Seriously. Who gives two shits if Roland somehow pull their asses out of their collective heads and pull a Korg and re-release old-a*s technology?

Why the h**l would one concern themselves with a huge corporation or more directly, delude themselves to believe a handful of synth nerds with a petition is going to change the position of said corporation?

Pay attention to the companies that DO give a s**t, and do have skin in this industry. If and/or when Roland decide to ante in, fine; but there are plenty of other manufacturers pouring out blood and sweat for the synth community that people should be supporting.

This is why we can't have nice things. :verymad:
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat May 18, 2013 5:11 pm

As most people who have owned and played an old Jupiter-8 would say, it's not THE HOLY GRAIL of synths. It's just a 2-VCO polysynth. Almost everyone sells them off after a few months it seems. And a ridiculously overprized one at that.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Sat May 18, 2013 5:23 pm

Two things:

1. I'll only buy a new 303 if it has a D-Beam.

balma wrote:maybe Roland doesn´t speak english only japanese.

This seems pretty clear for anyone who's had to decipher their manuals!
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Sat May 18, 2013 5:26 pm

Bitexion wrote:As most people who have owned and played an old Jupiter-8 would say, it's not THE HOLY GRAIL of synths. It's just a 2-VCO polysynth. Almost everyone sells them off after a few months it seems. And a ridiculously overprized one at that.
I had mine for several years and it got a lot of use. But, I do think it is overrated. Like so much of my other vintage analog gear, I sold it off to replace it with modern (and superior) analog. As I've said before, the power of nostalgia cannot be overestimated.

I just can't believe how hung up people are on Roland. Get over it! :D Look at all the cool s**t that has been released the past year. We have the Novation bass station on the way - nothing with the Roland name on it would have that many features at that price point. New Moogs, new Korg analog gear, a monster new DSI poly! Rejoice, for the analog renaissance is here! Roland chose to keep making chintzy s**t for wedding bands so forget 'em.

ZeeOne
Gear: Just guitars for now

Post by ZeeOne » Sat May 18, 2013 8:51 pm

The fact that Roland have slapped the Jupiter name onto what basically amounts to a glorified rompler and justified it by saying the original purpose of the Jupiters was the greatest emulation of real-world instruments possible at the time - and the spacey wackiness possible was along for the ride at best and incorrect use of the instrument at worst - tells me Roland have no interest in their real legacy and more in achieving what they originally set out to do. If Roland were to release a TR-808 today, it would play sampled drums.

Like Gibson, they seem to think they know better than musicians about making music.
Last edited by ZeeOne on Sun May 19, 2013 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.