Request an analog on Roland's Facebook page!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
pjablon

Re: Request an analog on Roland's Facebook page!

Post by pjablon » Sat May 18, 2013 9:07 pm

I don't have an extensive experience with Roland, having only V-Drums, but my impression is that they are the least interesting company in the music biz. They surely make very high quality instruments (except Gaia, that was a joke) but somehow lacking this special mojo. I've sold my TD-10 and went for the Blofeld as a drum synth. Roland was nice sounding but frankly boring. If I wanted acoustic drums I would record the real set. Everyone can have excellent mics and audio interfaces in their garages with today prices. Acoustic guitar? Why would I want to use a keyboard instead of asking one of my guitarist friends and record them?
Those legendary Roland instruments were made by mistake really. 808, 909, 303, were all made for organists and one-man bands playing polka. I'd say that the innovation made by Roland was a result of the limitations of the analogue technology. Now they have the perfect technology so they can succeed and bring their lame ideas to life in perfect form.
On the other hand Korg has long tradition of making quirky little instruments. Electribes, Wavedrums, MicroKorgs. For me they push the envelopes and think about new, fun ways of making music.
I'm more interested in the next move from Yamaha than from Roland. Yamaha is a mysterious company for me. They always seem like they are 20 years ahead and come out with the technology, no one know how to use. FM, physical modeling, Tenori-On... It looks like they have a crashed space ship in the underground lab somewhere in Japan and are reverse engineering from it and throw the pieces of alien robots on the street.
I'm waiting for FM-physical modelling hybrid with a sequencer that generates the grooves based on my DNA, have neural networks and lasers inside and will be understood by 5 people in 2050.
I'm not waiting for anything from Roland.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat May 18, 2013 9:21 pm

We complete disagree then, the Gaia is their best synth in decades in my opinion. And I have one.

philip

Post by philip » Sat May 18, 2013 10:31 pm

Bitexion wrote:We complete disagree then, the Gaia is their best synth in decades in my opinion. And I have one.
Gaia is a peace of c**p made in China

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Sat May 18, 2013 10:43 pm

The Gaia is a musical instrument. Ymmv.

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Sat May 18, 2013 11:24 pm

Bitexion wrote:We complete disagree then, the Gaia is their best synth in decades in my opinion. And I have one.
So you dont think the Gaia looks like a sh101 ?
yamoto773

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Sun May 19, 2013 12:06 am

The Gaia is a nice thing, but I don't really like how it sounds.
soundcloud.com/vectron

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Sun May 19, 2013 12:58 am

Roland is weird. They have no problem re-issuing old gear of theirs as "virtual" re-issues. Look at the RE20, or any of the boxes they make with "real 808 drums inside".
However they wont do a quick and cheap reissue of something that was a cheap toy when it came out?
Esp with todays tech, they could easily do a x0xbox killer, with the actual original curcuits, plus some kind of improved sequencing arrangement.
I think they make much more money from their more mainstream gear. Think of the stuff that has auto-accompany. There are actually thousands of folks that eat that s**t up. Strangely the latin and middle eastern markets especially.

I think they should do some re-issues through BOSS instead of Roland. That way they keep the Roland name "unblemished".
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun May 19, 2013 4:14 am

So what do you guys think Roland should re-produce first? The Juno-6, or the Juno-60?

The Juno-6 sounds phatter, but the Juno-60 has midi capability... I wonder if it's worth buying both?
Do you even post on vse bro?

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Sun May 19, 2013 5:16 am

Sir Ruff wrote:So what do you guys think Roland should re-produce first? The Juno-6, or the Juno-60?

The Juno-6 sounds phatter, but the Juno-60 has midi capability... I wonder if it's worth buying both?
Roland should hire you, so you could make the decision for them :withstupid:

vladimotor
Gear: V-Synth, Kurzweil PC3le6, Akai Miniak, Korg MicroX, Godin Solidac, Breedlove AC25, Live, Samplitude pro, Zebra, Z3ta, Imposcar, Absynth 4, FM8, Pro53

Post by vladimotor » Sun May 19, 2013 6:44 am

Hmm, i think Roland is the only Japanese company that still got it. Unfortunately it looks like they're getting into this cheap-chinese-c**p race with Korg.
Personally i do not want synth companies to pay too much attention to what "people" want. That usually results in mediocre products. I do not think development of V-Synth or Korg Z1 or Nord Lead had a lot to do with listening to people's requests. Of course you take some wishes into consideration, but we should really leave it to visionaries to come up with great products and new ideas, because all that most web forum members ask for are wooden side things.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Sun May 19, 2013 6:52 am

vladimotor wrote: Personally i do not want synth companies to pay too much attention to what "people" want. That usually results in mediocre products.
That is a good point.
There are numerous terrible musical instruments that are the products of chasing trends.
But there are one or two examples of instruments that were initially duds but came back as a reissue. The Gibson V guitar is one.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Sun May 19, 2013 7:53 am

What people want could serve as ideas, Novation just refreshed their forums and included a "Your Dream Product" thread.

So for Roland its simply to make something with an analog engine, they can take care of the features/interface. It's interesting what they would do and how it would sound plus likely to be affordable.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Sun May 19, 2013 8:01 am

philip wrote:
Gaia is a peace of c**p made in China

Uhm, most of the actual pcb manufacturing for most of the synths you buy are made in China. Final assembly is done in Japan, the US or Europe and viola its not made in China.

Also, the Jupiter isn't a glorfied rompler. Do a little more research, it has a sample playback engine, a VA engine, and a physical modelling engine.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Sun May 19, 2013 11:07 am

Roland should incorporate the V-Synth in their next workstation. Double the amount of simultaneous effects, and I'm in

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Sun May 19, 2013 12:15 pm

the appearance and the operation may be different from the actual product.....

Better request them to hire a new video/multimedia edition team. ....
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma