Request an analog on Roland's Facebook page!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
volumetrik

Re: Request an analog on Roland's Facebook page!

Post by volumetrik » Mon May 20, 2013 3:26 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:You know guys, if a Roland analog is what you really want there is something called ebay. :idea:

Like others have said, there are other brands right now providing what you seem to be pining for - so let's move on shall we? :?
I don't understand why you are getting upset and annoyed?

A brand new designed Roland analog doesn't excite you well fair enough, then don't post anything..

Sure I can go to eBay and pay $3000 for a 808 or some other unreliable synth that could fail but that's not what this is about.

You knock discussions like these because there's enough analog already but when a new release is out you gladly go out and buy it.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon May 20, 2013 3:48 pm

Not at all, in fact it does excite me, and yes I would love to see something like this happen. But when you've been here as long as I have and have to see this tedious and very well trodden topic come up again as if it's new news...

Lets just say, I think it's about time the dog left that very old bone alone. ;)

Maybe I'm just getting jaded :lol:

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Mon May 20, 2013 4:18 pm

Ok fair enough, but remember you don't have to click on the thread heh, if its the same old for you.

Some of the replies have been interesting.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Mon May 20, 2013 4:30 pm

volumetrik wrote:I don't understand why you are getting upset and annoyed?
Because this thread has become 5 pages of really cyclical discussions revolving around you saying, Gosh, wouldn't it be cool?, and everyone else saying, We don't care. You a) obviously missed the 50 million past threads which discussed the same topic ad nauseum, and b) just don't get it.
Do you even post on vse bro?

vin14
Gear: ∂Juno1 / BassStation Rack / CS-5 / D-50 / DX7 / Juno-106 / M1 / Minibrute / SK20 / SY85 / Trident / Voyager OS / Minimonsta / ImpOSCar
Band: oddball

Post by vin14 » Mon May 20, 2013 5:19 pm

I'm not going to request anything, like it would help! However it wouldn't surprise me if they jump on the bandwagon. After the sucess of the Minibrute and the impending success of the MS-20 mini, a new SH101 would be my guess. At the end of the day these companies exist to make money.

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Mon May 20, 2013 5:26 pm

vin14 wrote:I'm not going to request anything, like it would help! However it wouldn't surprise me if they jump on the bandwagon. After the sucess of the Minibrute and the impending success of the MS-20 mini, a new SH101 would be my guess. At the end of the day these companies exist to make money.
They only exist to make money if anyone thinks otherwise they no little about buiseness Roland arnt going to listen to anyone be it me or someone selling apples on the street corner in Bogota, there is however now a degree of pressure on Roland to come up with something because i can see this new MS20 sending the real mc coy to the outback.
yamoto773

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Mon May 20, 2013 7:05 pm

This thread is dumb

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon May 20, 2013 7:09 pm

I used to hang out alot in a music store that sold mostly synths and used synths and various studio gear. He had analogue monos in stock, aswell as the latest Casios and Yamaha PSRs and all those. He was quite firmly stating that those analog monosynths were a very niche product no matter how many new ones come out. Just look at what he sold the most of. It wasn't that $2000 Minimoog Voyagers or the DSI Mophos or Alesis Andromedas. Maybe he sold one a year of those. The real sellers were the cheap keyboards. And sometimes the big Yamaha workstations like the Motif XS and their little brothers. He also sold quite alot VA synths like the Korg MS2000 and Minikorg.

Most keyboardists who play in various bands are not as snobby about their synths as we are.

Sure it was great for an enthusiast like me to hang out in the store and play on Minimoogs and Arp's, but they never got sold.

The only vintage supersynth he sold within a few days was a Yamaha CS-60 that was BADLY out of tune. I barely got to play it once before it was gone again :(

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue May 21, 2013 1:07 am

Korg re-made a distinctive analog synthesizer that became iconic in the 90s despite being released in the 70s. This synth, while not embraced in the 70s, perhaps should have been. It has unique architecture, tremendous functionality, an interesting sound, and a lot of novelty.

So, let me get this straight... you want Roland to revive the f**k SH-101? A really simple plastic synth released at a point where literally everything on the market was more desirable, more powerful, and more popular... simply because some losers could only afford it YEARS after it had been rejected by the synth-playing public, and used it to make music you like?

If Roland wants to come close to the sound and flexibility of the MS-20, it's going to have to release something like the 5 or the 7.
That being said DESPITE my love of the SH-1000. :)
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Tue May 21, 2013 1:35 am

Sir Ruff wrote:
volumetrik wrote:I don't understand why you are getting upset and annoyed?
Because this thread has become 5 pages of really cyclical discussions revolving around you saying, Gosh, wouldn't it be cool?, and everyone else saying, We don't care. You a) obviously missed the 50 million past threads which discussed the same topic ad nauseum, and b) just don't get it.
Uh not everyone else said we don't care, the idea, the point of this thread which you have missed, was to let Roland know what we want as opposed just arguing about it with people like you on forums. This idea is not going to work because you think so? Whatever then. Just because the discussion branched out to other things you are getting upset about it.

Here's a reminder for you: you don't have to click on threads you don't want to participate in, but don't try to shut them down because other people are making interesting points.

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Tue May 21, 2013 1:52 am

Bitexion wrote:I used to hang out alot in a music store that sold mostly synths and used synths and various studio gear. He had analogue monos in stock, aswell as the latest Casios and Yamaha PSRs and all those. He was quite firmly stating that those analog monosynths were a very niche product no matter how many new ones come out. Just look at what he sold the most of. It wasn't that $2000 Minimoog Voyagers or the DSI Mophos or Alesis Andromedas. Maybe he sold one a year of those. The real sellers were the cheap keyboards. And sometimes the big Yamaha workstations like the Motif XS and their little brothers. He also sold quite alot VA synths like the Korg MS2000 and Minikorg.

Most keyboardists who play in various bands are not as snobby about their synths as we are.

Sure it was great for an enthusiast like me to hang out in the store and play on Minimoogs and Arp's, but they never got sold.

The only vintage supersynth he sold within a few days was a Yamaha CS-60 that was BADLY out of tune. I barely got to play it once before it was gone again :(

Here's some rankings:

Thomann (biggest European store)
Minibrute: ranked at 1
P08: ranked at 6
Gaia: ranked at 61 (!!)

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Tue May 21, 2013 1:58 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Korg re-made a distinctive analog synthesizer that became iconic in the 90s despite being released in the 70s. This synth, while not embraced in the 70s, perhaps should have been. It has unique architecture, tremendous functionality, an interesting sound, and a lot of novelty.

So, let me get this straight... you want Roland to revive the f**k SH-101? A really simple plastic synth released at a point where literally everything on the market was more desirable, more powerful, and more popular... simply because some losers could only afford it YEARS after it had been rejected by the synth-playing public, and used it to make music you like?

If Roland wants to come close to the sound and flexibility of the MS-20, it's going to have to release something like the 5 or the 7.
That being said DESPITE my love of the SH-1000. :)
No I did not f**k say that. However a SH-101 MK2 with lots more features (look at Bass Station 2) would be good. I think the MiniBrute and Analog 4 should serve as the benchmark for Roland's modern day analog.
Last edited by volumetrik on Tue May 21, 2013 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Tue May 21, 2013 2:06 am

i hate this thread, and i hate things essentially leading to no where for the sake of day dreaming....

BUT

You better bet your titties that if roland remade the sh7 at an affordable cost point, that it would be bought in a heartbeat.

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Tue May 21, 2013 2:26 am

phesago wrote:i hate this thread, and i hate things essentially leading to no where for the sake of day dreaming....
Why so much hate? Do you have personal issues? Do you get seizures from threads like these? Bizarre s**t really.

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Tue May 21, 2013 2:38 am

volumetrik wrote:
phesago wrote:i hate this thread, and i hate things essentially leading to no where for the sake of day dreaming....

Why so much hate? Do you have personal issues? Do you get seizures from threads like these? Bizarre s**t really.

no, its people like you <3

here's a reference, or two, to help gain insight into my post(if it will help you, as it seems that youre close to retarded)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colloquialism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figure_of_speech

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaphor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figurative_language